Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 08-16-2006, 10:25 AM
Puppy Dog

Default Breeding for Size and Mass(Rottweilers)

Well i have been searching for months now and i dont seem to have a ton of choices locally. So i have extended my search.

I dont know if i feel comfortable getting a pup from a kennel i cant physcally visit. (Having them shipped to me) Any opinions on that?

Most breeders i found either breed show quality pups, which i dont care about, as long as they are helathy or they breed for strickly size and mass.

The one breeder im looking at seems to be a very good place. And they have been in business for 15 years. They claim there Stud is 250Lbs, and from the picture, i belive it. But what do you guys think of breeders who do that? Are they something i should stay away from?

Thanks
Old 08-16-2006, 10:28 AM
Top Dog

I think you should try to contact RedyreRottweilers... She was banned but if you search some of her posts there should be a link to another forum she goes to where you should be able to contact her. She knows a lot about good rottweiler breeders.

To answer your question, I don't know anything about rotts, but I would not go to a breeder who breeds outside the standard - 250lb seems excessive. Also make sure all the parents are OFA and CERF tested (hips and eyes), have long guarantees (at least 5 years), and have temperament testing also. That should avoid having bad surprises in the end.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:40 AM
Top Dog

^^ agreed. Heavier dogs tend to have joint problems. Always be VERY careful when looking into a breed with known associated problems such as hip displaysia.
Good luck with your search.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:58 AM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatethekeeper
The one breeder im looking at seems to be a very good place. And they have been in business for 15 years. They claim there Stud is 250Lbs, and from the picture, i belive it. But what do you guys think of breeders who do that? Are they something i should stay away from?

Thanks
Stay far away from any breeder who is breeding that far outside the standard. And run, don't walk, away from a breeder who prides themselves on breeding for size and mass. That's always a HUGE red flag! The primary qualities you want to look for are always, first and foremost, going to be sound health and temperament. Especially in a semi-large breed like a Rottie that has been overbred for all the wrong reasons in recent years.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-16-2006, 11:21 AM
whatszmatter

I"ve seen some very fine Rotts and none even come close to 250, anyone bragging about that is someone I would stay away from. Why such a big dog?? You'll have a dog too big to work, to big to be shown, have a lifetime of health issues and fortunately or unfortunatly, however you want to look at it, it probably will not be a long life.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:36 AM
Happy

Quote:
Well i have been searching for months now and i dont seem to have a ton of choices locally. So i have extended my search.
I dont know if i feel comfortable getting a pup from a kennel i cant physcally visit. (Having them shipped to me) Any opinions on that?
I'm sure there are great, reputable kennels that ship puppies, but I would definitely prefer to visit and see the place myself. Especially with a breed as large and serious as the Rottweiler, I'd want to meet not only the parents, but the breeders personally. There are a lot of crackpots owning and breeding these dogs.

Quote:
Most breeders i found either breed show quality pups, which i dont care about, as long as they are helathy or they breed for strickly size and mass. The one breeder im looking at seems to be a very good place. And they have been in business for 15 years. They claim there Stud is 250Lbs, and from the picture, i belive it. But what do you guys think of breeders who do that? Are they something i should stay away from?Thanks
I'd stay away from anyone who is breeding for size with Rotties. However you feel about the AKC standard and the show ring (I'm not a big fan myself), their standards are, in general, geared toward producing reasonably designed dogs. I'm not disputing there are oddities and mistakes in AKC clubs and standards, but in general, the AKC standards bar extremes like grossly oversized Rottweilers and teacup poodles. If a breeder wants to go outside the standards, it's usually for a working reason - to enhance birdiness in setters and pointers, or to choose herding ability over coat in borders. Supersized Rotties have no apparent purpose except perhaps to appear more intimidating, and that's not a breeding program I'd want to get a dog from. You want a kennel that prioritizes health and temperament, and a huge part of health, to my mind, is a dog who isn't physically a giant.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:12 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

You can find Red at

http://www.prodoggroomingsupplies.com/dog-forums/

She is a wonderful source of information for many things and has beautiful rotties!!

(and she was not banned, but chose to leave)

Old 08-16-2006, 12:26 PM
Int CH - $uperBitch

Quote:
You can find Red at

http://www.prodoggroomingsupplies.com/dog-forums/

She is a wonderful source of information for many things and has beautiful rotties!!
this is the forum i use to stay in touch with red, she knows a whole load of stuff bout rotties and can probs help u out alot

Old 08-16-2006, 01:55 PM
Puppy Dog

WOWZERS! I didnt not expect many responses already. This is just the type of information i was looking for.

Thanks Guy!
Old 08-16-2006, 02:28 PM
Collie Crazy

Oversized Rotties are the biggest mistake around (not the dogs but the breeders) Bigger is NOT better and if you want a 250lb dog get a Great Dane. That 250lb stud is probably grossly overweight.

You say you dont care about show breeders but that is what you should be looking for. Either that or a Working Kennel, because the only kennel you will find that breeds strictly for size and mass are Puppy Mills and Back Yard Breeders and none do health testing on the dogs.

Please dont buy an oversized Rottie, with an oversized dog you are oversizing all the problems of the breed. If you want a dog that large than maybe this breed is not for you