Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-14-2006, 06:47 PM
Top Dog

Bailey has never done this.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:13 PM
Kiss&Tell

No.. Binn has never snapped at anyone.

You can take stuff out of his mouth..even a toy and he dosent care.
My page: http://www.myspace.com/irishdancer2
Old 08-14-2006, 07:26 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy's CD
Otherwise sometimes Roxy will bring the toy to them and put it in their hand for them to tug while she just holds on. She really doesn't understand that SHE's supposed to tug not the people! ROFL
Sorry, off topic here, but Malcolm told me that IS the way you tug. He holds on and I tug.

Back on topic - you said they cornered him? That's more than taking something from his mouth. That is illiciting a a fight or flight response from a puppy in the second fear period. I'd say you shouldn't be too concerned, but definately work on strangers being able to take toys and such away if he's going to be in that sort of environment.

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 08-14-2006, 07:36 PM
ME+DOGS=CRAZY

Sam has snapped at me before (she has even broke the skin ), but never to hurt me, and we where playing. she was trying to get the ball from my hand, but accedently bit my wrist. but she never does it with anyone else, only me.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:15 PM
Top Dog

I think your dog was placed in a position where he felt he had no choice. He was cornered with no escape, the person who grabbed the ball ignored his warning, so he took the next step. He was scared.

I agree, he should let people take the ball from him, and I think if he was in a position where he wasn't scared and cornered, he would act better. This is something you should work on with him when he's in a proper environment. I disagree with your husbands viewpoint that your dog is too into you. That's how he should be, especially the breed you have- he's a herding breed and they are not supposed to be like a lab or golden. Personally, I want my dog interested only in me when we are out in public. If people approach and want to pet him they can but he's not going out of his way to be friendly. He tolerates them, but with a wide berth- kids can hang on him, he lets them play with his ball, all that stuff, but he's always looking to me for approval.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:36 PM
Top Dog

I never had that situation... My Goldens always gave up an items when asked. Ollie , is a different story !! He has had many things in his mouth since I've had him that are a " Mine ".... his grip is something else ! Luckily , he's never growled or snapped , is this a Chessie trait ??? I'm used to a soft mouthed Golden. I've never had to pry before !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-14-2006, 09:54 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Millie and Lucy have never snapped at anyone.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:55 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd
I never had that situation... My Goldens always gave up an items when asked. Ollie , is a different story !! He has had many things in his mouth since I've had him that are a " Mine ".... his grip is something else ! Luckily , he's never growled or snapped , is this a Chessie trait ??? I'm used to a soft mouthed Golden. I've never had to pry before !
i don't think it's a breed trait as much as a training issue. i have two pit bulls with jaws like steel traps and i've never had to pry anything out of their mouths. they both quickly learned and respect the command "give" and if all else fails, they're total slaves to the cookie!
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 08-14-2006, 11:11 PM
Top Dog

I agree .... but I've only had this 1 1/2 pup 5 weeks...and he's never been taught !! We'll get there !! He's doing better learning what's " Mine " and " Ollie's " .....I'm just glad Grammy hasn't lost a hand during the learning process !!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-14-2006, 11:13 PM
LabBreeder

Mine have never snapped at anyone. The worst Tira has ever done was defend herself (as a pup) against an older dachsund mix that had snapped, and cut, her nose. When Tira got snapped at she tried to jump on top of the doxie/mix and snap back but ended up running away yelping instead of fighting. Now, when a little dog shows aggression Tira will bark at it. If a bigger dog shows aggression (snarling/growling) she'll bark and partially lunge. I've yet to see her bite an animal or person. She'll bark alot and lunge/jump on the other animal...after it's shown aggression towards either me/Tony, Gunner or herself...and air snap, but not actually bite.

Gunner doesn't do anything. He barks if he's being ignored by someone that usually pets him...and will run after the neighborhood cats (not hurting, just chasing), but will leave them alone when told to. He tries to play with every person and animal.