Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Buried Bones

Old 08-29-2006, 03:30 PM
Snow Girl

Citrus007,

Initial Chainlink Kennel - $500

Patio Stones - $8/sq. ft = $800 (we put down more patio stone than for just the kennel, we put down for thedoghouses to sit upon and a little extra in front of the shed so water wouldn''t collect and become a muddy mess)

Stall Mat - $80

Doghouses - *free* (got them used from friends)

Roof - $200

Wood structure - *free* (got the material from construction going on in my subdivision)

Glass storm door and plexiglass panels - *free* (people were sending them to the dump so we asked to have them instead)

Shavings - $8/bale

Straw - *free* (my dad gets it from farmers he works with)

Water Buckets - $20 for the rubber one $15 for the plastic one

Wire Mesh - $5 for a huge roll (they were trying to get rid of it)

Rubber Car Mats (for doors on the doghouses) - $10ea.

I think I covered everything... So that makes a grand total of $1648

Summit, that''s a really neat design! It''s good to see another Husky owner on here too

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 08-29-2006, 06:09 PM
The dog is never wrong!

Help out with the costs, for us, to buy plywood+insulation+hardware, each house is about $100, and each bale of straw is about $4. Plexiglass is expensive, and I think a 3x4 foot piece here is like $30.
Fortunatly, we've gotten alot of lumber for free from relatives, so thats helped alot.
And Ren, those prices are in Can. dollars right? That would be about $1200 US?
Old 09-05-2006, 09:41 PM
Snow Girl

Wow that looks like a great set up!!! And your dogs are gorgeous too! Mind posting more pics of them? hehe

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 12-03-2006, 08:54 AM
Sled Dog Guardian

Had to get a different company to host my .com, and in the process I lost the photos that I had originally posted on this thread (among many other files!) because I only had them saved on the net. I'm asking moderators to pull the previous posts because they make no sense without the photos.

Anyway, my dogs mostly live in the house, but when they go outside, here's a few photos of what I have set up for them.

Have a few horse stalls that I converted into kennels, so they have somewhere to play if the weather outside is too icky...

And here's the new yard I built them this summer, complete with a few dog houses and one large house capable of sheltering up to six huskies at a time (depending on how many of them feel like going in there - I've seen six of them in there snoozing before!). This photo wasn't on here before, so this will be he reason for the bump of this thread:

Member of Dogs Deserve Better & In Defense of Animals & The Humane Society of the United States.
Volunteer for the Sled Dog Action Coalition.
Think the sled dog racing industry is humane? Think again!
Sled Dog Issues - Working Toward a Better Tomorrow.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
Old 10-23-2007, 06:50 AM
BusterLove

Just read through this all for the second time. IF we finally find a place out of town cheap enough we're going to make a couple of runs for the boys. Harry and Buster get naughty when they're together and if we have horses/cattle/goats etc they'll cause trouble. They'll only have it during the day so we can probably make them pretty cheap.
Great ideas there though, thanks. Won't need a few things like the heating lamp and stuff but heaps of it was great info.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:40 AM
Snow Girl

That's not a heating lamp for heat, its simply for the light when around here it gets dark at 5pm during the winter

Old 10-23-2007, 11:53 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogstarsleddogs View Post
This means mixing kibble with water. Dont soak it. Use warm water (not hot, like baby formula temp) in winter, and cold in summer. A dog needs atleast 1 oz of water per pound of body weight. You want meals to be about 75% water.
i have also found that my dogs drink more in the winter, probably because of the lower humidity.

i also give them water with their food like that, never had a problem. i started it because i had one dog who refused to eat until i started pouring water on her food, and i have one that never used to drink water by itself, so i had to make sure he got water somehow.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team