Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Buried Bones

Old 08-15-2006, 03:28 PM
Snow Girl

I don''t recommend flea collars at all, I''ve heard terrible things about them and their efficiency. Better to get something like Sentinol or Advantage. I use a combination of the two and they work great! I use Sentinol monthly and only administer Advantage if I find a flea on them which has only happened twice with OC.

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 08-15-2006, 03:36 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

I'm really impressed, OC and dogstar... I wish more people that kept their dogs outside were responsible as you two!

OC... can I cross post your intial post?

Old 08-15-2006, 03:37 PM
The dog is never wrong!

Flea/tick collars were a life saver for me last year. I was pulling off atleast 5 ticks a day off the dogs. The topical products are way too expensive when you have 7 dogs. I'm sorry, but I cant spend $300 a year on tick meds, when $50 in tick collars work just as good for me.
Again, it depends on what you can do. Some things just arent possible when the funds arent there...
Old 08-15-2006, 03:50 PM
Snow Girl

BP, thanks!!!

For sure you can crosspost if underneath you could please put:

Renata Sauder
Copyright 2006
[email protected]

Did you want link to the pictures too?

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 08-15-2006, 05:14 PM
The dog is never wrong!

Some more things:
Watch the collars for wear. Since they're outside, they'll get dirty. I helps to have a fresh collar ready, so if one get dirty, you'll have a clean one. Just put the new collar on, and wash the old one. When the new one gets dirty, just keep rotating them.
Also, make sure kennels are always in great shape. I've found my dogs will do any thing to get out of a kennel, and they take alot of beating. (Thats why I use chains with my dogs. No way kennels would work. Been there, done that)
If you live in an area where the snow gets deep, keep the snow around the house. Just shovel out around the door, but thats it. Snow is a great insulater, and it will keep them warmer.
For more control on bugs in summer, get some fly traps. You can either buy them at most feed stores, your make your own. (I dont know how to make my own, but I've heard of people doing it) We've had excellent results with them. Make sure you hang them in an area your dog cant get to them. They will start to really stink after a while, so if you have close neighbors or dont like to smell rotting things, dont use them, and just use the sticky paper type.
Or you could plant some herbs around the kennels to help. Maybe try some mint or catnip. We have tons of cat nip here, and I just keep it to a manageable size. Cant do any harm. Plsu you can use them in your cooking.
More on the bugs, I've never tried an all natural fly spray, but if you do, stay away from the ones with pennyroyal. (I have seen them.) Pennyroyal is a poisonous member of the mint family.
If the pee smell is getting uncontrollable (sometimes this happens) get some barn/sweet/hydrated lime. Sprinkle it on right before it rains, and the smell should disappear. You can also sprinkle it on the poop pile, if you have one.
More on insulating dog houses: If you can, use about 3" of styrofoam (white stuff is fine) on the bottom, and 1" on the sides and top. That extra insulation on the bottom will really protect against a cold floor.
In summer, make doggie popsicles. You can do Frosty Paws, or freeze broth, meat, etc. Be creative. Your dogs will love you for it.
Again, all I can think of for the moment. I'm sure more tips will follow...
Old 08-15-2006, 05:32 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Actually, lemme PM you....
Old 08-15-2006, 09:21 PM
Snow Girl

I keep collars off my dogs. I do not trust leaving a dog chained or on a collar due to strangulations, wrapped legs, tangles, etc and keeping the collar on a dog all the time will damage the fur around his neck. Also I house two dogs in the same kennel together, there have been many reports of a dog getting his jaw caught in the other dog''s collar while playing and doing some serious damage. Enough that I keep away from putting collars on the boys unless we are leaving the property. My kennel is very dog proof, no escapes as of yet even when keeping a very determined little houdini bitch. However things happen so your dog should have some sort of ID on him. I achieve this by having the dogs tattooed and microchipped. It''s a good idea to have the dog microchipped on his thigh rather than his ear. If someone steals him a dog can still get on very weill without an ear...it''s a little harder without a leg.

Old 08-23-2006, 07:16 PM
x PuPpY EyEz x

yehh excellent post oc girl...its helped me alot - im so sick of all the 'DONT KEEP UR DOG OUTSIDE ITS CRUEL REHOME UR DOG NOW'...an outdoor dog can be just as happy, as long as he/she is taken care of the right way. im sure these pple are jus concerned for the dog's welfare but just bcaz people can keep their dawgs inside, it dosnt mean theres no other way...rite?
Old 08-24-2006, 11:30 AM
Snow Girl

Right but remember a dog living outside ALL the time and never coming inside is no way to keep a dog either Having an outdoor happy dog is a lifestyle you must commit to

Old 08-27-2006, 04:28 PM
Top Dog

Can you give an estimate of what this would cost?