Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 08-14-2006, 09:47 AM
Top Dog

Default I would say

In my subdivision I would say 65% of the homes have dogs. I would day that at least half of these dogs if not more are pits or pit mixes.

It's sad as I see quite a few people out walking their dogs when I am walking Wrigley--however I have NEVER (except for one very nice family who has 3 pit mixes) seen any of the pit owners walking their dogs.

I think it is seen as "tough" and "gangster" like to own a Pit--which makes me even more sad.....
Old 08-14-2006, 11:23 AM
Top Dog

People breed their little dogs as much, they just get adopted faster because they are little. And yes, lots of people won't risk adopting a pit... I wouldn't either, but because I'm not a good enough trainer for one.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:53 AM
Top Dog

I'm afraid that I wouldn't either . Not knowing the background would bother me as to safety issues with children. I know they are great dogs .....

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-14-2006, 11:58 AM
and Spy.

I would adopt a pit!
There are many that are just surrendered due to high cost (insurance bills).
Many of these are well brought up and affectionate.

~Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:04 PM
Top Dog

Admit ....it depends on why surrendered ,

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-14-2006, 02:10 PM
and Spy.

Bubbatd,
If the dog was surrendered for financial reasons, and nothing else... Then would you consider ? (This happens quite often too!)

~Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:13 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium
I wouldn't adopt a pitbull if it were the last dog in the shelter
I don't know the answers to your questions.........we don't have PBT here in the UK.

I just wanted to ask why you wouldn't adopt one??
Old 08-14-2006, 04:06 PM
Crazy Dog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tucker&Me~
Bubbatd,
If the dog was surrendered for financial reasons, and nothing else... Then would you consider ? (This happens quite often too!)

~Tucker

Yes, but you still have to wonder, why did these people not think of this before. All homeowners insurance policies are suppossed to be read before you agree to buy right? If they agreed to pay a higher premium or be dropped or whatever for owning a specific breed, why get the dog in the first place? Or why not switch insurance companies. It shows a lack of responsibility regardless, and that lack of responsibility may have also been implemented in the way the pup was raised.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:45 PM
Happy

Quote:
And honestly not meant to be inflammatory:
If this is true, you must be a complete newcomer to the dog world, where anything to do with pit bulls/scary breeds/molossers/etc. becomes a screaming hissy fit in about six seconds. Welcome.

Quote:
why do pit bull owners seem like they want to breed their dog more often than other dog owners? In the South (and in the West too) there are a CRAP LOAD of pits/pit mixes in shelters that are going to end up being killed because, let's face it, no one wants these dogs...I would never dream of breeding my dog(s) because I have a conscience. I wonder what happens to everybody else? [end rant]
Short answer - their popularity is highest in populations that put the least value on spay/neuter, licensing, vet care, etc.

Longer answer - the 'impressive' breeds, which include pit bulls, (you know how, when people want to gush over certain breeds, they always use the word 'impressive' to convey their approval), are, in the eyes many of their fans, enhanced by their intact state. The appeal of a setter or collie or toy breed isn't particularly changed by its reproductive status. That 'big, powerful, masculine beast' thing that appeals to many people is, on the other hand, hugely enhanced by the dog being intact.

It is true that not too many people want these dogs. In the urban northeast, where they've also become a huge percentage of the shelter population, shelters have started importing dogs from rural shelters to give adopters a better choice. It sounds harsh, but an average family looking for a pet will be better off with a beagle mix from Kentucky than a pit bull off the streets of Newark.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:53 AM
savethebulliedbreeds

Woah, glad I came back for this one lol. I own an American Staffordshire Terrier AND Chihuahuas.

I would like to say that I would like to agree with those people that said that it is the small breeds that are in demand right now. There are BYB's that breed every breed but there IS quite a problem with bad breeders breeding small breeds.

Im not quite sure how the OP figures that chihuahuas have behavioral problems. Any chihuahua with a behavioral problem is because the owners think it is cute to have their little ones on their lap protecting them and make them that way. It has nothing to do with the breed and everything to do with the owner.

I would also like to know why you would never adopt a pit bull?

Also why do you think that we think "our" breed is sooooo special. I think all breeds are special. No one more than another. I don't go around bragging about my Amstaff any more than I brag about my chihuahuas or pomeranians (who by the ways are all extremely well behaved, and have NO behavioral problems)

Im sorry but being an owner of the breeds you spoke about in your post I am a bit shocked.

I would also like to say that here our problem is not so much with the toy breeds or pit bulls or rottweilers but with mixes between collies, labs, GSD's and retrievers. The shelter is always full of them.