Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-09-2006, 10:22 AM
Top Dog

I went to an allergist for years, in the end it got more tolerable for me, especially my dog allergies (cat is still pretty bad for cats I don't know). But yes, you do build up resistance to your own pets, which helps a lot.

Those nasal sprays are very good, but pretty useless if your symptoms don't include stuffy nose really (which is the case for me occasionally though). With advair and albuterol, I haven't had asthma in a loooong time now... unfortunately, I have shortness of breath instead now, and I'm not sure it's not worse... not all the time though thanksfully.

I would just stick to claritin/zyrtec if it works good enough, then only ask your doctor for more treatment if you still have asthma after that.

And I've heard the 'get rid of the pets' comment way too much also...
Old 08-09-2006, 03:30 PM
Top Dog

Mostly I just get a tightness in my chest w/a cough. I only really notice shortness of breath if I'm working out vigorously. The claritin helps w/the skin irritation runny nose and itchyness for the most part.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:30 PM
bullie lover

I'm not terribly good at "managing my environment." I mostly just try to keep Mojo groomed and on a good diet so he's not shedding a lot. I also do my best to stay on my meds (I am terrible with medications... I hate being on them so I can consistantly forget to take them)...

My dog still sleeps with me ... ususally it's only to get me to sleep when I'm having a bad bout with my depression/anxiety and then he goes to sleep elsewhere in the apartment once I am sliding into unconsciousness. Somehow, except when I am having a bad bout of illness related asthma, I am able to manage with my un-care of my illness. I should do better, but I don't, and my doctor has just stopped fighting me on the dog issue.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:19 PM
Top Dog

I'm going for allergy testing and all that comes along with it in September, so I'm going to ask about taking Singulair *ar* for my breathing and see how it goes. I'm wondering though my yorkie poodle mix is shedding quite a bit lately... could it just be his time of the month to be shedding and could this be bugging me more lately? Also, If I shaved his fur a little closer and didnt let it grow as long could that make a difference in the allergy dander causing issue?
Old 08-10-2006, 06:57 PM
The dog is never wrong!

I find that Claritins work great for me. For the longest time, I just used Dimetapp, but I started building up resistance to it, and they took it off the market. Kinda strange, but when I'm stuffed up, I breath through a bag of mint tea. It works though. Nasal sprays never worked, all the stuff just dripped out anyway. I'm pretty allergic to cats, I've lived with cats all my life, and currently live with 6 of them inside. I find that different cats effect me differently. I can sleep with Booger and Whiskey, but if I just pet Somer or Miss Kitty, it makes my eyes water and stuff my nose up. Or I cant have Miss Kitty lick my fingers, but Booger can lick my face.
Also, pet allergies have nothing to do with the pets hair. It all in the protien in the saliva. After they lick themselves, the protein dries, and becomes airborne. You breath it in, and you can figure out the rest.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:00 PM
Pres. Of Gutter Club.....

i use flonase and flovent for my allergies wich is part of the ingredients in advair since im allergic to serevent

I know the secret handshake!!![
Nolu's mindsoap ... known by all not used by many...
Chat is amazing for this reason....
[darkchild16] I love my stick
[TheWonderPuppies] does it have batteries
[TheWonderPuppies] *ducks*
[darkchild16] OH GOD I DID NOT MEANT HAT
Old 08-10-2006, 07:00 PM
Pres. Of Gutter Club.....

and get a good vacumn

I know the secret handshake!!![
Nolu's mindsoap ... known by all not used by many...
Chat is amazing for this reason....
[darkchild16] I love my stick
[TheWonderPuppies] does it have batteries
[TheWonderPuppies] *ducks*
[darkchild16] OH GOD I DID NOT MEANT HAT
Old 11-07-2006, 06:43 PM
Top Dog

I know this is an old thread that I started, but I just want to say that I started Advair 100/50 a week ago and it has worked WONDERS on my asthma. I'm doing so great with it and haven't had to use a rescue inhaler at all in this past week even while working out. I just wanted to post this in case anyone else is dealing with allergic asthma issues.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:26 AM
wolf girl

I've had asthma most of my life too. Keep a rescue inhaler (like albuterol, or primatine mist if you don't have a prescription) just in case...and you asked about Advair; I take this and I think it does work, but you have to keep taking it long-term generally if you've had lifelong asthma problems, and it is pretty expensive. My doctor gave me a few months supply in free sample packs and so maybe you could get your dr. to do that