Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-08-2006, 06:10 PM
Puppy Dog

Default food protective

i posted a while ago about my 13 week old puppy being protective of bones but now shes also protective with food. i tryed what you said about giving her a trade. everytime shes eating i throw her a peice of turkey and get closer then throw her another but it hasnt worked. shes still just as protective. i got really mad at her today and kinda lost my temper because she has been doing realy well potty training and its been 2 weeks since shes gone in the house. as soon as a i bring her in from a 30 min walk she comes in and shits everywere then i gave her her food and then touched her bowl to move it and she bit me. thats when i just lost it and maybe got a little rough with her . im just so frusterated about this food thing. i know what you guys said about not taking it away from her but when she bit me i just pushed her really hard away from the food bowl and took the whole bowl with me and then tossed her in her crate. yeah i know i shouldnt of done that but im not haveing a good day as it is. i need another method of eliminating food protectiveness
Old 08-08-2006, 07:44 PM
Top Dog

I'm going to give you advice for your behavior problems, so please read all of this.

1) Have you thought about rehoming your dog? I strongly suggest it. Puppies are extremely time/energy consuming and you need to have a world of patience with them.

THERE IS NO REASON AT ALL TO BEAT, ROUGH UP, OR PUNISH A PUPPY

2) Your dog doesn't trust you. If I were her, I wouldn't trust you, either! A 13 week puppy is a baby--you can't beat her for having an accident, especially if she has been accident free for 2 weeks!

3) She probably bit you because you beat her. If she is already food protective/aggressive, you're just encouraging the behavior by scaring her.

4) The crate should NOT be punishment! My dog runs to his crate as his safe spot and when he is tired and needs a nap. Crate training will be easier for you and your dog if the crate is a positive thing with toys, a soft blanket, etc.

Advice:

NILIF: Nothing in life is free.

Make your dog work for her dinner. Basically, use the dogs food as training treats. Make it clear that you control the food. Have her sit, give her a piece of food. Have her lie down, then give her a piece of food. She'll get the point soon.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:05 PM
Top Dog

I agree with Herschel. No offense, but you're ruining any trust between your dog and you by mistreating her. You can't train a dog properly without trust.

First of all, what you did was not a trade. She got her bowl of food AND the treat you threw to her. She got everything and learned that that's how it works.

I'd start hand feeding her....NO bowl at all. And ask for a sit before she gets a handful of food. Then ask for another skill...etc. Spread it out over the day, not all at once...like Herschel said.

Personally, if you're running out of patience this soon, you probably should re-home the dog.

If you want to try and think you're going to like the pup, then find out how to handle a dog. This really should have been done before getting the pup. She's awfully young to be biting you, which makes me think she really must be frightened and on the defensive....very young to be feeling this way. Please don't mistreat her anymore because she'll be ruined for life if you do. No one will be able to do much with her if you do re-home her and her life will be a waste.

That said, as hard as it may sound, there are ways to condition a pup to your handling and taking food or other items, systematic ways. Trying to be "boss" and over dominate is what gets people bitten and ruins trust between the dog and owner.

I'd work on making training fun and rewarding ONLY for a while. Win back some trust. Have fun, take walks and don't mess with her food for a few weeks. Then let us know in detail how she's doing, how she's responding to you in other areas. Then I'll tell you in detail how to condition her to letting you touch her stuff, her food.

Watch her when she's inside every second. She is not going to the bathroom in the house to spite you or make you mad. She is a baby. She is a dog. Dogs don't have that complex of a brain. She simply doesn't know. It's up to you to teach her. Punishment will make her miserable, confused and will never teach her anything. You have to praise and treat lavishly when she goes outside. You prevent her from going inside. If she goes inside, it's your fault, not hers. Clean it up and don't make any issue out of it at all. Potty training takes time. Some dogs take months and months. She's an infant still. My Dobe didn't get it till he was 10 months old. I've had dogs get it in a month or two.

Again, if you don't think you have the patience for this, why not consider re-homing the dog? It might be better for both of you. I don't mean to be discouraging, but sometimes it's just not a good thing for some people to have a puppy. They're very difficult, granted. It takes some learning ahead of time to do a good job with a pup.

Remember she's an infant pup....like punishing a 6 month old human baby for wetting their diaper.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:20 AM
Puppy Dog

are you kidding? i dont beat my dog. that was the first time i have ever laid hands on her and all i did was push her. she trusts me fine every time i wak through the door shes jumping all over me and licking my face. she follows me in every room of the house and is always by my side were ever i go. its definatly not a trust issue. i will try the hand feeding technique. i dont know were you guys got beating from. i work with someone is is a top dog trainer and her pitbulls are top in the country. she always tells me its ok to rough em up a little and alittle smack on the ass wont hurt them but just startle them and it works. yet i have never tryed it but its just advice i have gotten. i didnt push her for going to the bathroom on the carpet i punished her for sinking her teeth into my hand. i thought if i didnt react to her attacking me then she would think she can get away with it all the time. i didnt know that when a dog bites i should just let it go like that.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:36 AM
Angel Chicken

Good Gods.

Really, he didn't hurt the dog, he pushed her away from her food bowl. Big freaking whoop. I'll tell you what, if that had been Kona, she would have been whacked with a newspaper. Which I have done before... does that make me a dog abuser? NO!

Where do you get he beats her from pushing her? Really?

You automatically assume that he has beat her before, or something of the sort. Give the guy a break, he is looking for advice.

Nebis, take my advice. My dog id a very happy 10 month old, and her crate was her punshment as well. She just got sent there for drinking out of the toliet, matter of fact. You dog will be fine. She currently sleeps in there, and stays in there when we go out of the house, so she won;t tear out toliet paper.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:42 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
i got really mad at her today and kinda lost my temper because she has been doing realy well potty training and its been 2 weeks since shes gone in the house. as soon as a i bring her in from a 30 min walk she comes in and shits everywere then i gave her her food and then touched her bowl to move it and she bit me. thats when i just lost it and maybe got a little rough with her
This is not the way to train or treat a 13 week old puppy.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:58 AM
Puppy Dog

yeah keep reading. so the punishment was i pushed her away from the bowl and took her food and put her in the crate.. might wanna look up the definition of beating
Old 08-09-2006, 11:31 AM
treehugging clicker freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Chicken
Really, he didn't hurt the dog, he pushed her away from her food bowl. Big freaking whoop. I'll tell you what, if that had been Kona, she would have been whacked with a newspaper. Which I have done before... does that make me a dog abuser? NO!
It depends on who your talking to... there are much nicer ways to correct a dog. Does she shy away from your hand yet? I've fostered tons of dogs that I actually have to desensitize them to newspapers

Quote:
Nebis, take my advice. My dog id a very happy 10 month old, and her crate was her punshment as well. She just got sent there for drinking out of the toliet, matter of fact. You dog will be fine. She currently sleeps in there, and stays in there when we go out of the house, so she won;t tear out toliet paper.
Using a crate for a time out isn't a bad idea. However if you consistantly associate a crate with negativity its going to become a negative thing and she isn't going to want to go in it.

Sometimes dogs learn that it is okay to get physical with you, because you get physical with them.

possesive retraining
I'd suggest teaching Leave It as well

hope that helps

Oh, and remember she's just a baby. Accidents are to be expected, and probably the walk worked everything down and she had to go after that

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 08-09-2006, 12:44 PM
Top Dog

It's not uncommon to get frustrated with a dog when you haven't been provided with the tools you need to set boundaries and be a leader, instead of simply trading for items and trying to use "Positive Reinforcement Only" training methods. Some leadership skills might help.

It wasn't the fact that you pushed the dog away from the bowl, it's that you were frustrated when you did it. A dog can sense this and you could end up being viewed as unpredictable, which can cause the dog to lose trust in you.

Don't beat yourself up over it, just move on and don't do it again. I know more than a few people who have started out trying to impliment training without leadership, and also got frustrated and did things they shouldn't have, or regretted. A Pack Leader must also be a trusted and consistant leader.

Since your pup is now biting, I would get a behaviorist who understands dog psychology, can teach you some leadership skills, and help you and your dog within your home. No need to rehome the dog if you're willing to stick with setting some boundaries and keep your temper in check.

In the meantime, reading Cesar's Way by Cesar Millan and sticking with his principles by putting the needs of your dog *FIRST* could help you understand how your interactions with your dog are being "read" by the dog and give you some basic leadership principles to help you.

I highly recommend this book.

Good luck and don't give up!

Reward the good, ignore the bad, and always remember to duck during the temper tantrums!

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" Albert Einstein

Here's to you, Jane Goodall. So much insight into the mind of a species from someone who's never trained a single chimp.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:47 PM
LabBreeder

You don't need to push a dog into their crate and take their food away. If you continue to do this your pup will DEFINITELY not trust you, will get worse with food possession and will bite you again. If you can not look into training books or a good trainer that doesn't hit their dogs then maybe you should find another home for your pup. This is a young dog. Most aren't fully potty trained until they are 6 months old. If you are going to push your dog around and get pi$$ed every time there is an accident in the next 3 months you'll have a very dysfunctional dog. Crating needs to be positive, not strictly punishment oriented. The dog is supposed to enjoy being in the crate by itself not despise it or associate it with punishment. How did your puppy get so food possessive? Were you taking it's food away or not feeding it regularly? There had to have been something to trigger this "food guarding" in a young puppy. You absolutely have to train. Feed by hand, make the pup sit before feeding. If you can't deal with it now, it'll get worse later.