Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-23-2005, 11:37 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
No, a dog and a baby are not the same thing at all, and you've reached this conclusion through faulty logic - no offense.

The point is that your ability - or inability - to love something based on appearance is sadly callous and appallingly superficial - no offense. Even the cutest, most attractive puppy gets old and unattractive - unless you put it down or ditch it when it begins to offend your aesthetic. But, if you can't love something that isn't attractive, it probably won't bother you to do something like that - no offense.

We tend to get the object lessons in life that we need to learn.

There is a big difference between growing old and unattractive and being born this way... sorry. Once again you are comparing apples and oranges.

Does it mean I wouldn't get attached if I found one? No. But I won't adopt one that I don't like, because there are lots that I will like. And by 'no liking', it includes lots of breeds, because I don't like their character, or the way they look.

To answer homelessdog, I don't think that all dogs are intimidating nor ugly, I've met wonderful dogs, and that's why I picked a breed that I like. You know what, I think that kids are intimidating too, and I'm still trying to get some, because I know they are wonderful.

I think it's time you open up a bit, and realize that there might be some people out there who don't like all dogs, but love lots of them. That's exactly why there are so many breeds and mixes, so that everyone can get a dog they like and will grow attached to... every dog isn't for everyone, you need to be comfortable with your dog, otherwise it's not going to work...

And Smkie, I totally agree with you, adopting a dog and abandonning them is totally irresponsible and cruel.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:56 AM
Island dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran27

I think it's time you open up a bit, and realize that there might be some people out there who don't like all dogs, but love lots of them. That's exactly why there are so many breeds and mixes, so that everyone can get a dog they like and will grow attached to... every dog isn't for everyone, you need to be comfortable with your dog, otherwise it's not going to work...
I don't think anyone is arguing with that. We all got our dogs because there was some sort of attraction. There are plenty of dogs that I wouldn't normally adopt. Small, chatty dogs are not for me. I'd take one who was in dire need I'm sure but they would not be my first choice and not everyone would do that.

I'm sure that there are plenty of dogs like the one you adopted in the shelters. In fact, I know that. I'm glad you adopted from a reputable breeder. I hope that everyone who chooses to go that way does. It would make everything a lot better. But, there are lots of good dogs of every breed that need to be rescued. And I think we should do that first. It's just my opinion.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:05 PM
Island dweller

^ BTW I don't agree with the opening up part. I think most people on this forum are quite open. I think you have to be 'open' to welcome any kind of animal into your life. You have to learn about them, compromise sometimes, take the good with the bad. And if you bring in problematic dogs and help them adjust and recover like homelessdog and others I think you are very open along with compassionate, patient and many other words. So, please don't insult any of the members of our online community by calling them something that they aren't. Nobody is attacking you. We commend you for buying from a reputable breeder. We are just trying to point out that there are other, wonderful options.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:15 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchild16
i was going to do it once or twice when they get their titles because they are both what alot of people look for in a weight pulling dog and i would really research and get to know the families
Perhaps instead of breeding your dogs, you could work with a local shelter. I know there are lots of dogs at my shelter that could really benefit by some obedience training, cart pulling, and dog sports. Wouldn't it be better to save the lives of some shelter dogs, while at the same time improve their quality of lives by vesting some interest in them!? There's no guarantee that the litters you produce will be working quality or show quality, and no one can tell the future of what will happen to the dogs or their offspring once they're out of your care.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:15 AM
Dogs rule humans drool

just want to add

are your rescue kennels over filling, is their no room for any more rescue dogs?

Visit my website on www.freewebs.com/animalllover
Old 03-24-2005, 07:19 AM
Big Dog

Sharpeilover,

The shelter I volunteer at is a no-kill shelter. We are always full and always have a 2 to 4 month waiting list to take in new dogs.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:12 AM
We are Home.

i rescue and foster for a greyhound organization with my mom and that takes alot of time adn effort and if i added something else id slip in school and i think my dogs deserve as much attention as the dogs in our organiztion get and i want my dogs to do something they would enjoy so yes i do help at a rescue group but i also want my dogs to be athletes. i dont even get to really spend time with my walker on sunday cuz its dedicated to the rescues and even if i had bred them as i cant now i would still be spending as much time at the kennel as i do and i would apprecitae you asking questions and not just assuming i dont do rescue work.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Last edited by darkchild16; 03-24-2005 at 11:18 AM. Reason: messed up
Old 03-24-2005, 11:20 AM
Dogs rule humans drool

no its just said from an ealier thread about their is room for both rescues and breeding, this shows that thier isnt bcos in the uk, rescues r over filling with dogs, this means thier isnt a lot of room for breeding as well as dogs that need homes.

Visit my website on www.freewebs.com/animalllover
Old 03-24-2005, 11:52 AM
We are Home.

i also think you need to stop assuming that just becasue i bought i purebred doesnt mean i didnt consider the sheltars and other options but in a way i saved both my pits. akira was infested with worms never got human attention she has a genetic problem so she cant use her back legs we felt we had to save her from the filth she was liveing in. i know this isnt a reputible breeder that everyone is talking about but i had to save her and morgan was in a cage far from the house by himself he had one blanket and a little lean to with leaks in the roof. the only time he saw people was when he was fed. he was so shy i sit there and pick him up and rub him and the whole time he is shaking i start to walk towards him he sits. he didnt know how to react to humans he was 3 months old and was by himself in a pen so homeless before you start judging me just think what that was like and is like. the conditions at their homes were worse then the sheltar. so pleasedont assume you know everything

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 03-24-2005, 11:55 AM
Felurian

It takes very special people to take on abused Pits and bring them back to life. They are such sensitive dogs and it takes a gentle, dedicated and empathetic person to earn their shattered trust.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian