Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-22-2005, 12:39 AM
Dog Spoiler

I'm sorry but I CAN'T adopt an animal in Vegas. I swear, all the dogs in the animal shelter are pitbulls that have been fought. I was going to adopt a dog before I got Boomer but I didn't want to a bring home a fighting dog to a little dachshund. Even the no kill shelter was pretty bad.

-Jon
Old 03-22-2005, 12:49 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredhead (DOG LOVER)
I'm sorry but I CAN'T adopt an animal in Vegas. I swear, all the dogs in the animal shelter are pitbulls that have been fought. I was going to adopt a dog before I got Boomer but I didn't want to a bring home a fighting dog to a little dachshund. Even the no kill shelter was pretty bad.

-Jon
I don't believe that. I just went to PetFinders.com and did a search for all dogs in Las Vegas and there were hundreds of dogs that were not pit mixes that are noted as being friendly with other dogs.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:05 AM
Dog Spoiler

I went to the animal shelter. Didn't know about petfinders till I came to this forum.

-Jon

*PS I think its great how you foster dogs.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:16 AM
Puppy Dog

I've thought about adopting many times. When I just had only Jaidee and Zoe, I went to my local shelter and I was denied from adopting any dog there because I don't have my 3 acre yard fenced in and I already have 2 dogs, apparently having two dogs is too many? I was really upset when we left because I had fallen in love with two medium sized dogs that zoe and jaidee would of loved to play with, they were so friendly. My heart was broken, I don't understand how they can deny people from adopting, if there are so many dogs and animals that need homes, don't deny people. But I'm not saying just to accept everyone either. Just because I didn't have a fenced in yard, it would of costed me a fortune to fence in my yard. I take my dogs all outside to go potty on there leashes. I haven't been back to that particaliar (sp) shelter after that they are quite rude, they treat people who want to adopt like they are the bad people who brought some of these dogs in. It still ticks me off to this day as to why I was denied to adopt, cause I had 2 dogs *at that time* and that was too many, and my yard wasn't fenced?
Anyways, if I wasn't denied for adopting those 2 cuties I would of. =(
Old 03-22-2005, 05:19 AM
Dogs rule humans drool

yeah i do not see the point of breeding then pitts, not because they r pits, but just from watching animal cops is horible how so many r put to sleep, their is not enough room for so many dogs, i mean b4 breeding would it b best to find out how many people who u know will love them, and not use them for fighting wants then, instead of breeding them and then finidng out noone wants them?

this thread not to affend anyone by the way.

Visit my website on www.freewebs.com/animalllover
Old 03-22-2005, 09:24 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

petfinders.com is how i found Victor...it is wonderful!
Old 03-22-2005, 10:34 AM
Top Dog

I can answer the question of the original poster easily.

I wanted a dog. The first thing I did was go to the local shelter. I couldn't find a dog I liked. Keep in mind, it is my first dog, I knew nothing of dogs, and they have always intimidated me. So when you go there and you see all those dogs barking/jumping at the door, and you've never had dogs before, you don't know how to deal with it. I know I couldn't, my husband even less. There were no puppies there, except a pitbul mix (and I don't like the way they look).

After that, you don't know anything about the dog. Sure, some rescues spend a lot of time evaluating the dog, but that one doesn't (I volunteered there a bit and mostly stopped because I wanted to bring everything home), and you can't know if your dog is going to turn out being a biter or not.. We are trying to have children, and we can't afford to have a dog with a doubful past - a LOT of people who want dogs do it mostly for their children.

Then, training. Lots of the dogs that end up in the shelter were from people who obviously didn't care much for the dog, and even less for training them properly. It's much harder to train an adult dog than a puppy, and that's another reason why we went for a puppy instead.

Finally, not sure about all shelters, but that one doesn't have good veterinary control - lots of animals actually die and cost thousands in bills when they leave, and when I was volunteering there one of the dogs that got adopted had a very nasty ear infection.

So, as you see, there are lots of reasons why people prefer having a puppy - easier to train, you're the one who train them and you will know if they tend to bite (and be able to correct it), and of course for childrem, they are cute.

I will probably adopt my second dog once we have more money for it, but I couldn't imagine adopting an adult dog as a first dog, for all those reasons. Also, I have a hard time getting attached to dogs I don't find good looking, and there are not that many in that category at shelters (I'm just honest, I wouldn't want to play with a dog I find ugly).

I got flamed on another forum for posting about the same thing, but it is another opinion that people often don't want to consider.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:46 AM
Big Dog

I can understand wanting to adopt a puppy instead of an adult dog. Almost all shelters do get puppies on a regular basis.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:56 AM
Island dweller

Since I've been here at least two litters have been BORN in the local shelter. And they almost always have young ones.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:17 AM
Top Dog

Yeah, the shelter here sucks and I don't know another one. I've found about 100 dogs I love on petfinder though LOL. It's just not the time for another dog now.