Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-21-2005, 05:38 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

didn't they ever hear of groomers? or buy a pair of clippers?
Old 03-21-2005, 05:42 PM
Island dweller

No kidding! They are such wonderful search and rescue dogs too.

Here he is:

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?act...=0&tmpl=&stat=
Old 03-21-2005, 08:03 PM
Show Dog

this post just so happened to be around when i posted i bought a new girl.. i do care about the dogs in the shelters, i've donated food and stuff like that, i've also had a few of my friends adopt.. heck even i've rescued...

people make it seem like its a crime from buying from a breeder..even if it's a reputable one...

but whatever..
Old 03-21-2005, 08:45 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

please don't read what isn't there..buying from a rep.breeder is fine. My labrador Charlie came from a rep breeder..the one that i worked for..i loved the training that went on there..and the dogs that resulting from the fine consideration of traits to both parents.....if that makes your world complete and happy...great..but for many unsure of what they want to do..this is a hope that they will look FIRST at rescues for the breed that they want..or better yet..at the nearest shelter where they are so desperately desperatly needed. For me..i am finding Victor to be equally as good as Charlie..and the little dog i found in the creek when i was 5..was my whole world..her breeding unguessable.. That is all. many people post that they are unsure..to them i wanted to say .......look first before you visit the breeder, the petstore, your backyard pup makers.....look first and see if the right dog is not where you would suspect, but where you find in the end, exactly what you needed. They need you to come to them, they can't come to you.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:48 PM
Island dweller

Exactly, Smkie. If you are going to buy from a breeder than go with a reputable one but if you looked at some of the wonderful creatures in the shelter you probably wouldn't go home empty handed.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:28 PM
no touchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saje
Oh, nobody's trying to offend you. I think for the most part we (I?) feel that it's better to rescue for a pet-quality animal.
I agree. I'm not saying it's bad to purchase from a reputable breeder, but if you just want a pet, why not check out the local shelter?? I also think many people think that shelters and rescues are somehow full of just "mutts" and no purebreds, which is completely untrue. Many dogs waiting for homes at rescues and shelters are purebreds. Heck, we found our purebred Lab in the forest preserve !
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:08 PM
Felurian

Maybe they should switch him to undercover work, Saje, so the long hair won't matter

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-21-2005, 10:11 PM
Island dweller

LOL yeah. he can tell people he's a St. Bernard undercover. LOL
Old 03-22-2005, 12:41 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchild16
but my other 2 i got from breeders it just depends on what you want to do with the dog. i planned on breeding my two pits
But why would you plan on breeding Pits of all breeds? This has to be the most common breed put to sleep because of overpopulation and lack of homes. I've tried to find rescue groups for a couple stray amstaff puppies that I found, and every rescue in a 200 mile radius was full.

At least before breeding your dogs, volunteer for a few weeks at an open access shelter. Before you make a decision, sit in when they have to euthanize another pure breed pup whose only fault is that there are too many dogs and not enough homes.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:50 AM
Island dweller

I agree with Homelessdog. I don't see a point in breeding the pits. Why would you? Just to have puppies? Are you going to keep them all? How will you make sure they go to forever homes?