Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-22-2005, 01:57 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Default funny question

Most things in life make sense to me if i apply a little logic..like that little lift at the top of a dog's ear is good for draining water away from the face, and away from the inside of the ear..so on the other side of the ear there is a little flap..that has a little ear like lobe..what purpose could that serve? Why the flap? Looks like a skinny version of our earlobe. Just wondering if anybody knew?
Old 03-22-2005, 02:07 PM
Island dweller

And why do horses have manes? Some people say it's for flies but they don't have much control over it like a tail.

And belly buttons. How cute are they when you find them on your pet! I've never found Mavericks amongst all the hair but I've seen Mikey's! And my horses. That was a surprise as a kid to learn they have belly buttons too. Of course they would but still. LOL

Sorry
Old 03-22-2005, 03:11 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

just a guess..but biting flies like to land on the top of things and chew away..i would think a mane would protect the neck and top of head since they are'nt as sensitive as the ears for wicking the nasty things away...and protecting from predators as well..but that is just a guess. Help keep the blood warm to the brain..and hold off the heat of the sun..guess too. Belly buttons are a reminder we are not aliens haha
Old 03-22-2005, 06:41 PM
Felurian

I would think manes served much the same purpose as lose skin on some dog breeds' necks - gave a predator or other aggressor a problem getting to anything vital. Most bites just get hair and allow the horse to turn to get a hoof or a bite of its own into what's biting it!

The little flap on the back of the ear . . . have to think about that! The Filas' actually have a U shaped notch underneath.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian