Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-08-2006, 11:23 PM
treehugging clicker freak

You grandfather's dogs sound like awesome dogs...

However dogs are individuals and you can't expect all dogs of the same breed to act the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
Aussies are very likely to go right through an invisible fence. They are highly focused and able to ignore a good deal of discomfort in order to get to what they're focused on.
-Fence or a leash
-a lot of excersize and training

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 08-09-2006, 08:53 PM
Purdue#1

my mother won't put a fence up and I've heard good things about invisible fences. I know of at least 5 people with them and they say they work fine.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:26 PM
Top Dog

I have an Invisible Fence which works well for my 2 standard poodles even when they are on a full run chasing squirrels. However, I live in the last house on a long dead end road which only has 5 houses total. If I lived on a road with traffic I would not trust an I.F. to keep my dogs safe. They are also never outside if I am not home.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:41 PM
Purdue#1

our road is not that busy of a road, it's just when people do drive on they drive really fast. My friend has an invisible fence for their beagle mix and they live in a subdivision. She says it works just fine. they have no problems with it.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:45 PM
Herding dogs rock!!!

First of all, your dog should NEVER be allowed outside without being on a leash....especially if you live near a road...busy or not. You are just asking for him to be hit by a car, or worse, to cause someone to get seriously hurt by swerving to avoid him. Please be a responsible owner and keep him on a leash. Second, I don't agree with underground fences. They may keep your dog in, but they don't keep danger out. What if a large aggressive dog were to come in your yard. Your dog would be trapped with no protection. Plus, most dogs will run right through them.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:00 PM
Top Dog

I've never had an invisible fence ..but even if I had , I would never count on it if I wasn't home. Each dog is different. Here I could trust Bubba and Chip ,when I left, in the back yard with door openned to the house,,,, When I keep Elin's Hunter , I know he'd jump the fence in the wink of an eye.. Ollie's new, so he goes into his huge cage, I don't take chances , unless I;m home to catch a miss hap.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-13-2006, 08:05 AM
Purdue#1

1. there is no big aggressive dog on our road the largest dogs around here are labs and are strays from a house up the road(the people moved without taking the dogs).

2.all the people i know who have an underground fence say at one time or another the dog was in full prey drive, came to the fence and stoped.

3. My aunt lives next door to us and she's home all day. he will be watched.

4. now, over the weekend, I found 5 more people who have them and say they work fine.

P.S. when we bought it this weekend at Bass Pro, The cashier said that she has her pit bull on one and it keeps him in.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:17 AM
treehugging clicker freak

why do you continue to ask for advice when your ignoring what's been said, and your mind is already made up
Old 08-14-2006, 05:47 PM
Purdue#1

all I asked was which brand of invisible fence was better, petsafe or innotek. Instead i got ten thousand answers that didn't answer what i asked. I kept telling everyone that i couldn't put an actual fence because my mother wouldn't. instead you guys kept telling me to put one up. you keep telling me to keep the dog on a leash. When my dad dad and i are working around the house we don't like leaving the dog stuck on a tie out or in the garage because he whines. He needs to be able to run freely without us having to worry about him chasing something down the road. Saturday he chased byciclers 2 houses down while my dad had him out. Let's see. Invisible fence and dog that lives or dog that gets killed by a car? I'll choose the first one.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:31 PM
Top Dog

an invisible fence will not guarantee your dog "lives". I will say invisible fence is better than no fence, but I would have suggested finding a company that installs invisible fencing along with training the dog (we have a couple of those around here).

You can have that sucker on 10,000 volts but if the dog is not trained properly and is determined to go thru it, they will.

My suggestion, now that the deed is done, train the dog to the fence, don't think for one minute the dog will train itself YOU need to reinforce the boundaries constantly.
Good luck
Diane