Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-07-2006, 12:27 PM
Purdue#1

Exclamation road problems

I have a aussie puppy that never listens. He keeps going to the road and i'm afraid he will get hit. we live in the country, but the road that we live on used to not have a speed limit so people would do 80mph, and people still do. I was thinking of getting an underground fence. There are two that i'm looking at which is petsafe and innotek? Anybody got an idea of which would be better?
Old 08-07-2006, 01:04 PM
Water Junkie

Sounds like you are not the "alpha dog". What you need to do is put him on a NILIF(nothing in life is free) and type in Alpha Dog Boot Camp in on goolge and click on the first one. Also he is just a pup he does not need to be outside by himself. Do not let him of the leash outside if you are not sure what he is going to do. You need to use lots of treats when first training and there might be some thing over there that is a lot more "interesting" than you and you need to be more interesting than what ever is over there. Oh and I have seen people use the underground fence and have not a had very much luck with then. The dogs that I have seen found a "weak" spot in the fence so that they know that it is not that bad to run through the fence because what ever is out their is better than the little shock that they will get. Good Luck!

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 08-07-2006, 06:50 PM
Top Dog

I'm not sure if dominance is the problem..

It could be the other way around--is he scared of you at all?
Old 08-07-2006, 07:17 PM
Top Dog

I'd say you would be best getting yourself and the puppy into a good obedience class. If you can afford invisible fencing, a good obedience class should be no problem.

This dog would also not be outside unless it was on a long line or leash. YOU have to make yourself more important than his desire to take off looking for adventures that may end up killing him.

Aussies do have an independent streak however, with good training, a good bond formed with your dog, making yourself more interesting than anything else , they can be wonderful companions. They are VERY smart dogs.

My suggestion, find yourself a good obedience class and instead of invisible fence go with something more secure, it will pay for itself in the long run
diane
Old 08-08-2006, 02:31 PM
Felurian

Aussies are very likely to go right through an invisible fence. They are highly focused and able to ignore a good deal of discomfort in order to get to what they're focused on. Also, no herding breed should be anywhere NEAR a road without a secure, tangible, barrier fence. It's in their nature to go after things that are moving - even more so than other types of dogs - and many a herding breed has met a tragic end chasing cars.

By the way, welcome! My Dad's a Boilermaker School of Engineering.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-08-2006, 03:16 PM
Purdue#1

He's not scared of me, he's never outside by himself, our house is a good 300ft. from the road. it's when he catches the smell of something on the ground, hears, or sees the neighbors across the road that he wants to go across. with our last aussie that we had for 15 years, she had to be put to sleep this year because she got cancer, never went to the road. We never needed a fence to keep her in our yard. We could leave her outside while we were inside all day with no problem. She never chased cars. She was never independent. There's this dog club in 4-H that we talked to someone about when we had my dog down at the fair cleaning my pig pens from the show. He said it was good thing to get a dog in. they do training, obedience , herding, and agiltiy. They also have professionals come in. I also wanted a fence so he wouldn't be locked in the garage all day long because i will be going to back to high school and no one will be home all day.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:23 PM
Top Dog

I wouldn't leave him loose outside without a solid fence, not if people are going 80mph on the road. Even a well trained dog is not 100% reliable when in full prey drive. I agree with Renee.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:36 PM
Felurian

I think the females have a lot more sense about it than the males do, lol! We had a BLIND Aussie who managed to find where someone had opened the gate and left it (probably on purpose ) and took a nice little jaunt through the neighborhood!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-08-2006, 04:02 PM
Rebel With Cause

As previously posted aussies chase anything and everything. They are fearless in their pursuit. A good strong fence recomended here or a picket line. You will loose your pup if you think you can train him to stay away from the road. When they are in chase mode they focus only on the object they are going after and if it is a cat or rabbit and goes to the road ( EKKKKK)
protect the wee one please because he will go after cars too. I lost a beautiful, highly trained, great working Blue Heeler this way and not an experience I would ever want to go through again or wish on any one else.
One of our cows got out along the road and he was doing his job but the cow made it the dog did not . That was who Whiskey is named after my beloved Whiskey 1.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:58 PM
Purdue#1

that's why i want to get an invisible fence. My mother never in a million years would put a fence up in our yard. None of my family has ever had to fence their dogs in and they all had aussies. My aunt had a dog that never went to the road. He was an aussie. My uncle bred aussies and not one had to be fenced in. My grandfather bred aussies too and never had to fence them in. I have a cousin who has an aussie and isn't fenced in. It doesn't go to the road.