Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 03-20-2005, 07:26 PM
Active Pup

Default Locking Dog In Crate when away

Hey guys,

I have to lock up my little girl Tasha in her crate whenever we leave the house and no one is here to look after her... she seems to really bark and howl after we put her in...

I always make it a positive experience.. give a treat for going in herself.. telling her good girl and I'll be back soon...

Soon as I go.. the barking machine turns on... and it seems to last forever, although after we return home once a few hours have passed, she's generally quiet and half asleep...

Is this good for them to bark so much? Is she going to get over the barking when we close her up? This will be a 5x a week or more occurrence (though never for longer an a few hours at a time).

Thanks.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:38 PM
Island dweller

How long have you been doing this?

Does she have to be in a crate? Can she be in a puppy proofed room? (laundry bathroom...)

Do you give her long-lasting toys like a kong? How big is the crate?

You can try things like leaving the tv/radio on. Giving her a warm water bottle. Give her a shirt that smells like you.

How old is she? Does she sleep in the crate? Where is the crate?

Crating does not work for every dog. Some people swear by it and others think it's unnecessary. I think that she will get used to it, depending on how long you've been doing it, but there may be other methods and things to make it easier.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:27 PM
Active Pup

I would prefer to use the crate simply to avoid accidents on the floor and to keep her from getting into any bad habits, like gnawing on my brand new doors or walls...

The crate is medium sized (she's a very small puppy - 10 weeks old) and she has lots of room to move about in it... I've placed a ticking clock under the blanket and also left an old t-shirt inside of there as well...

We keep the crate in our ensuite. She doesn't sleep in it at night, as she sleeps up on the bed with us and is fine there.

She'll never be in there for longer than a few hours at a time... I always make sure to take her outside before putting her in and then right after i let her out.

Any recommendations other than crating for these periods?
Old 03-21-2005, 04:50 AM
Big Dog

If she's only ten weeks old, she'll get used to it soon enough.

Start teaching her the word "Crate" and rewarding her for going in it by giving her a treat, and letting her leave right away. Keep the crate open throughout the day and encourage her to "go to your crate" for various things, and always to get a treat. Feed her in the crate. Any toys or treats that you leave in there for her when you are gone, you should remove when you return home. Make them special toys, only given for special times when you're gone. She'll be fine because she'll quickly learn that barking and howling doesn't bring you back right away. If it doesn't work, she won't keep doing it.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:46 AM
Love my pets

Some dogs I think just don't do well in crates. My stepson's dog who is now 8 months old cried so much in the crate that his siliva would fill the bottom of the crate and he would lay in it all wet. The pup is a pit bull (50 lbs.) and very sweet! They finally decided to see what he would do if they left him out of the crate. All he wound up doing is sleeping on the couch. Normally, if I went over to let him out of his crate, he would be so excited and anxious to get out. When I went over the other day when he was loose, he picked his head up off the couch as to say why are you disturbing me. He was such much calmer. If the crate doesn't wind up working for you, maybe you could use gates and put him in the kitchen area or another room you may have.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:35 PM
Felurian

Thanks Barb! Crates just aren't right for every dog. Sometimes I wonder, I mean, we all got along quite well before the whole crating craze started . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-23-2005, 07:10 AM
Active Pup

My mom's beagle has some confinement issues. She tried crating him and he just shredded the plastic liner ( and you know how heavy those are ). He was shut in the laundry room for a while until she figured that he could handle being out.

They don't work for everyone.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:54 AM
Big Dog

Crates don't work for dogs with seperation anxiety. And they often don't work for dogs who weren't crate trained (ie, you can't just stick them in a crate and expect them to be happy). They aren't a babysitter; and they're not a permanent solution to anything.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:18 PM
Active Pup

Well.. I've decided to simply pen up the dog in the bathroom during these longer periods of absence...

Which brings up a new question... will I have problems in fully housetraining my dog if I am to leave the newspapers on the floor while she is penned up? I try and get her outside and relieved before she is penned up, and then take her outside as soon as I get home... she's doing well with it... but is it going to make things more difficult in allowing her to use the newspaper for accidents?
Old 03-23-2005, 11:55 PM
Rusty but Trusty

I used to use the wee-wee pads and everybody told me how your not suppose to teach your dog to go in the house and then have to teach it to go outside. I gave up using them and just realized that it is normal for them to have accidents. If the puppy has to go it doesn't matter if they are in the bathroom or in their crate if they have to go bad enough they will go wherever they are. My guy has really bad seperation anxiety which is why I stopped using the crate and yes sometimes if I can't catch him in time or I am not home he has accidents but he is still advancing in his potty training. I have him gated in the kitchen while I am not home and he seems to be doing ok in there by himself, much better than when he was in his crate.