Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 03-11-2005, 12:23 PM
Top Dog

Default Questions about feeding RAW

I have done some research and have decided that a raw diet would be beneficial to my dogs.
My questions are how do you start to feed raw? Do you do it gradually or all at once?
What are good foods to start with? Do dogs need veggies, fruits, and grains in their diet or just meat? What I have read gives conflicting information on the veggie issue.
If anyone could give me any advice as a beginner it would be greatly appreciated.

All my research was done on dog forums and by typing in feeding raw or BARF. I do plan on picking up a book as soon as I figure out who has the right information in their book!

Thanks,
Adrienne

Old 03-11-2005, 02:05 PM
no touchy

First of all, a raw diet isn't right for every dog.

Quote:
My questions are how do you start to feed raw?
You probably shouldn't start cold turkey. You just add the raw diet ingredients into the "regular" pet food. You probably will see some moist or runny poop when starting as your dog(s) are getting used to it.

Quote:
What are good foods to start with? Do dogs need veggies, fruits, and grains in their diet or just meat?
We do meat (of course)...usually chicken, turkey or beef. Yes, dogs need vegetables and fruits. I make a mush of veggies (carrots, broccoli, etc.) in bulk. Fruits I don't feed much of...just as snacks now and then.

Raw requires a LOT of research. I can recommend some books and sites if you'd like.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:21 PM
Top Dog

When you say it isn't right for all dogs may I ask what you mean?

Can you feed things like chicken drumsticks, chicken wings, and thighs?

I would be very thankful for any links or other resources. As I said, a lot of the information I found contradicted from one source to the next. Hard to straighten out what is correct information.

I appreciate your response.

Adrienne

Old 03-11-2005, 02:27 PM
Mommy to Nala and Molly

I'm feeding raw and did a lot of searching about it... going cold turkey is not too good, I first switched from kibble to homecooked and then from homecooked to raw. I followed the 10% rate to switch food, that is, every day you substitute 10% of old food with 10% of new food, so in a matter of 10 days the switch is complete.

Its right that raw isn't great for every dog so you will have to start slow and introduce new foods one by one to see how your dog will react.
There are a lot of books and stuff out there for you to research, here are some articles that helped me out:

http://pet-grub.com/preface.pets
http://media.wiley.com/product_data/...0764517635.pdf
http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.co...raw.htm#canine

My dogs eat meat (turkey, chicken, beef, organs -once a week-, fish -once a week), veggies (put them in the food processor), fruits (not so often as treat or as juice), grains (brown rice and oats -not too often or too much-), yogurt (every once in a while), bones (raw, beef or chicken, I don't feed them everyday and always supervise) and eggs (once a week), they also get a teaspoon of fish oil as a complement of vitamian A, D, they get vitamin C and calcium complement...
This diet was something I worked out with my vet and we read a lot about raw feeding, the amount is something like this: daily: 1/2 meat, 3/4 veggies and 1/4 of something else (grain, yogurt, fruit, whatever else).

My beagle will eat two cups of food a day and my mini schnauzer will eat one.

They are very healthy and have shiny coats, they're not overweight and it seems to work for them...
Old 03-11-2005, 03:53 PM
Mommy to Nala and Molly

I forgot to tell you that there are a some good books you can purchase on Amazon:
- Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats
- Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats: The Ultimate Pet Diet
- Raw Dog Food: Make it Easy for You and Your Dog

They are really cheap!!!
Old 03-11-2005, 04:20 PM
Quigleyfied

kymythy schultze's book (the ultimate diet) is probably the best book for people who would like to get started with raw feeding. i don't agree with all of her points (e.g. never any grains, no dairy products etc. - even those can be beneficial!), but the book is well written and easy to follow.

another book i really like is monica segal's "k9 kitchen your dog's diet: the truth behind the hype", since she is unbiased towards any particular ways of feeding and points out the weak and strong points alike. it's available from sitstay.com.

as for switching to raw - you can either start cold turkey or wean over slowly. it depends on the individual dog. keep a can of pureed pumpkin (not the spiced pie filling mix, just plain pumpkin) on hand to feed in case the dog develops diarrhea. a heaping teaspoon or two per meal quickly firm things up.

do not feed too much bone matter in the beginning, it can cause constipation. pumpkin works both ways, so it will also help in case that happens. constipation needs to be addresses as quickly as possible if it occurs, since the longer the fecal matter sits in the colon the more water is removed and it gets harder and harder. if the pumpkin doesn't help fairly quickly, a tablespoon of a good oil will likely do the trick.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 03-11-2005, 04:23 PM
no touchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienne
When you say it isn't right for all dogs may I ask what you mean?
Some animals do BETTER on kibble/wet etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienne
Can you feed things like chicken drumsticks, chicken wings, and thighs?
Yes. We actually have a cookbook written by our vet, which we go by. The recipes involve chicken or turkey necks and backs, and wings.
Just sleeping.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:55 AM
Top Dog

You should look into the Innova EVO to see if that may suit your needs for your dog. I have a pamphlet on it. I give you some highlights to see if you may be interested in this:

-Highest meat content of any dry dog food.
-Chicken, Turkey, Herring, and eggs
-Low Carb
-Chicken fat and Herring
-Fresh vegetables, fruit and cottage cheese
-a "synbiotic" approach to gastrointestinal health
-optimum amounts of essential vitamins & minerals
-slow cooked to perfection
-finely ground bones in a crunchy kibble - aid in keeping teeth clean and gums healthy, naturally
-ready to use - Innova EVO is almost like having raw food in a bag. It is convenient to feed and requires no preparation or clean-up. (This is what the pamphlet says.)

If you don't know exactly what you are doing in feeding your dog a raw diet, it may be better to go with a food like this than to risk leaving out some key nutrients of your dog's health. I don't know what I am doing, so I would prefer to go with this to make sure he is getting the optimum nutrition that I can give him. He loves it too. I have him on the regular Innova, but they gave me samples of this and he loved it so I will probably get this next time. You can look it up on

www.naturapet.com
Old 03-12-2005, 09:35 AM
Felurian

There are also some good products that you can add to the meat you provide that will round out a raw diet. www.sojos.com

Personally, I feed the Innova EVO. Mine are thriving on it, they love it, and it's very cost effective with two very large dogs and one medium sized dog.

The main problem I see with many raw diets that the EVO addresses is that most people can't obtain organic components for their dogs. Commercially produced meat is full of garbage. We raise Angus cattle and you wouldn't believe the stuff they want us to inject and feed our cattle with in the Certified Angus program. Hormones, antibiotics and all sorts of junk. Needless to say, we don't participate! And I would never feed my dogs liver or kidneys from commercially raised carcasses. Those organs are the filtration systems for the body and all the toxins collect there. Then you feed them to your animals?

And please read the sticky thread on raw feeding if you haven't already. I had no idea that this potentially fatal problem existed. Fortunately, it's easily avoided by freezing the meat thoroughly before feeding.

Best of luck however you end up feeding. You can't go wrong with Mordy's advice!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-12-2005, 01:30 PM
no touchy

We go to a holistic veterinarian and asked her about feeding "regular" meat. They said that is what most people feed--it's pretty impossible for us to feed three large dogs organic meat. They do get organic veggies now and then. If we could feed organic meat, you bet we would. There is a bunch of crap in foods that aren't organic. We get the best meat that is not organic as much as possible.
Just sleeping.