Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-06-2006, 03:40 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

I actually do watch them-like a hawk! They are very aloof and not particularly concerned with the other people or dogs. They just walk around, which is fine, but me seeing them not interacting probably causes more stress to myself!

I do know that there are very responsible chow owners out there, so please do not take offense at all! I've just never encountered them unfortunately.

Someone suggested I look for Chow breeders in my area and see if they would like to "enlighten" me so to speak. So I may just do that... one step at at a time and if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all for it!!
Old 08-06-2006, 07:30 PM
Big Dog

One of my ex-roommates had 2 chow-chows (one beige and the other black) that were mediochre as far as temperment goes. I have a feeling he didn't socialize them enough when they were younger--he tends to be a person who spends a lot time alone working at a Computer.

Anyways, yeah, the beige one was initially the one to watch out for since she was pretty suspicious towards strangers, but after that she was just a normal friendly dog for the most part.
The black one was more shy around people at first and considered by most people to Dumb as a bag of rocks. The bad thing is he was easily irritated/aggravated and when he got like that he was extremely unpredictable and he was known to bite people.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:41 AM
ME+DOGS=CRAZY

Ah! I think my old fat lab mix is part chow (thats what EVERYONE says! and I do see some chow in him) He is extreamly loving towards people! He might bark when you come into the house, but he is really just asking you to scratch his butt..lol.. But he does not like other dogs (unless there puppies or small dogs, even then you have to watch him) But he is A great dog! I love him so much!
Old 08-07-2006, 02:41 AM
chowchow

It doesnt sound like the chows are aggressive at all. Being cautious of people doesnt make them aggressive. Just try to relax, they havent hurt anyone. Get to know the owners, talk to them, maybe your'll get a chance to get to know the chows and discover what their personality is.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:16 PM
I love my dog Neko

came over to my house and you can meet Neko because he chow chow and he so nice and loves people.

"You will turn into what you really are deep deep down in your heart."
"I'm bologna deep down in my heart.'
"yes yes you are"
"That just dumb."
"Dumb like a moose Dib. Dumb like a moose." From Inviter Zim

"I'm nether man nor beast. I feel nothing." for wolf's rain Darcia's
Old 08-07-2006, 01:41 PM
Athletic Labs. They Exist

I have met two bad ones. One attacked me and I still have scarrs the other one never got close enough.

But I have met 6 friendly ones. My friend Felicia has four show Chow Chows that live with her and her son in their home. And really they have made me fall in love with the breed. They airn't clingy or super happy to see guests walk through the door like some dogs. But they are sweet hearts and my sister trusts her sons around those dogs as well.

I was terrified when I walked up to the door of her home and knocked and saw four Chows come running barking alittle only one Lexie (lovingly known as Old Woman) was barking with a bit more warning. I knew Felicia had Chows but I for some reason thought they would be running loose through the house. She invited me in saying the worst her Chows would do is ignore me or come for a little pet. Its all about socialization with this breed and with all four of her dogs being show dogs they need to be used to strangers approaching and touching them. After I was in the house and realized these dogs were so docile I was completely comfortable. I am Felicias house and dogsitter from now own and her dogs are like my dogs away from home I love them very much.

I think its the same as any other breed that can be aggressive with out socialization. It all depends on the owner and how dog is raised.

I have learned from Felica a good Chow isn't happy go lucky with other people or aggressive they tolerate them and accept them. Though her anouther of her females Ember LOVES people and will want to cuddle with you the whole time your there.
Sawyer (2 year old, Labrador Retriever)
Morisson (2 year old, Lab/Beagle)
And aunt to-
Grace
aka my brothers/roommates dog.(1 year old, Lab/Shiba Inu)
Old 08-11-2006, 04:13 AM
Active Pup

Hello! I'm John from the Philippines! I just want to share some pics of our chow chow babies from our kennel here in the Philippines. Hope you'll like them! Have a nice day!

Lola @ 4 months

Old 08-11-2006, 04:26 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Aww, they are so cute!

I wish I wasnt afraid of them.

Maybe you can help me through that!!

Old 08-11-2006, 04:34 AM
Rebel With Cause

You know I was watching Martha Stewart the other day and she used to have two chows a red one and a black one. Well anyway one of her chows died while she was ( away) and she has since gotten a French Bulldog. She said that although she loved her chow she would not be getting another one because even though she had paid dearly to have it trained and worked with it still got people agressive and was nasty to her other animals. She went on to say that the one she has is getting that way too and has to be carefully watched. So she said although she loves them for their looks and for her companion she won't be getting any more. Just thought I would post that. I am not posting this to say that Chows are bad but that I think again this is a dog for experienced people or people who are willing to work with them not just own one.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:40 AM
Kiss&Tell

I have a fear of them as well.

Growing up, one of my friends had a black Chow that was really nice but for some reason I was scared of it.

There was a chow down the street that would get out often, and when it would see you it would start running towards you. Didn't matter how far away you were from it, it would still charge after you.

Im sure there are good Chows out there.. I just need to get over my fear of them.
My page: http://www.myspace.com/irishdancer2