Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-05-2006, 12:42 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

I wish I've encountered friendly Chows!!

Aren't there a couple people on here that have chows?
Old 08-05-2006, 12:48 AM
Top Dog

Same here....there are two that go to the dog park together, they are brother and sister. When they show up, I leave. If I see them in there, we go home.
They are nasty little ones....Boone is a happy-go-licky kinda guy and just wants to play and they snarl and snap at him. They got two chances, now I avoid them like the plague.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:36 AM
Top Dog

Over the years I have met a few Chows and from what I have seen personally they were aloof with people and not what I'd call dog friendly. None of them were out & out aggressive but none were trustworthy off lead. I do know that they really need a ton of socialization as pups as well as an owner who is really experienced with the breed. I think they are a beautiful breed but not what I would personally be looking for in a dog when it comes to personality.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:48 AM
treehugging clicker freak

I agree... I've both misbehaving and really well behaved Chows. They're really cute - they look like a big teddy bear to me and I just want to squeeze them, but I never would I *think* Melanie has Chows... I'm sure hers aren't monsters

Maybe talking about why your afraid of them will help... Just a suggestion/thought

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 08-05-2006, 09:57 AM
Top Dog

I've never had the opportunity to meet one but it's a breed I would love to own later on in my life.

I ditto Brattina, you could always talk to Melanie about them.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:03 PM
Int CH - $uperBitch

i know who has them on here!!!!!

the person whos in alaska!!!, and at the end of her posts she always puts from the gang in alaska

Old 08-05-2006, 12:25 PM
Top Dog

I have a chow mix who I found and ended up keeping. Of course he's a mix so it's not quite the same. He does have a tricky temperament. With *his* people he is a sweet and gentle dog. We can hug him, tease him, brush his teeth, do anything you want, and he is totally calm. With strangers and anyone he doesn't consider part of his family, he's unpredictable - will be friendly then suddenly bark and try to snap at them.

However, we're fairly sure he was abused by his first owners so that may be the real problem. It seems that once he trusts someone he's sweet as pie with them but I never trust him with someone he doesn't know well.

He is totally dog friendly. He loves other dogs and is never aggressive with them at all. If only he was as good with new people as he is with dogs, he'd be the perfect dog.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:41 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Actually, there is a chow MIX at the dog park that I am quite fond of, I love her to pieces.. she's the only chow anything that I will allow near me, she is just absolutely sweet. But that could possibly be because I've had a chance to get to know her... I dunno?
Old 08-06-2006, 02:05 AM
chowchow

If your afraid for Buddy to play with the Chows running around, why dont you watch and see how the Chows act around other dogs and people. Chances are they are having a ball out there playing with the other dogs.

I was in WI with Gracie for awhile (a Chow). During all our walks we encountered several dogs. Most people were great to let let their dogs meet Gracie. A few times dogs or puppies would get loose and come running to visit with Gracie. She loved it. 2 puppies jumping all over her from excitement and Gracie never even growled. The only aggression we experienced came from 3 labs, a Golden, a couple of pittbulls, and a pug. Each sounded and acted as if they wanted to rip her apart.

I never worry how Gracie will react to other dogs, but I worry how other dogs will react to her. Dont assume these dogs are bad or mean. I know without a doubt I could take Gracie to a dogpark and she'd have a blast. Melanie has done a wonderful job with her Chows and is a great teacher. Just watch, see how the Chows are with other dogs and people, maybe that will ease your mind and help rid some of your fear if you actually see they arent out there fighting with the other dogs or attacking people.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:39 AM
Show Dog

I have a chow mix who is 9 months old now. We socialized him heavily when we first got him, yet as he gets older, he seems to be more wary of strangers... especially groups of men/teens in the neighborhood. He loves kids, though - it's weird. I think that as much as I've socialized him, there's still an innate aloofness that is surfacing as he gets older. He's never bitten or snapped at anyone, but he's started to "back up" when we encounter a group of people on a walk that try to approach him. If a neighbor approaches in a googly-goo sort of voice, saying his name, he's all wiggly-butt, tail-wagging, smiling Barley, though. Especially with women.

Barley also LOVES other dogs, and is really gentle with puppies even. He goes to doggy day care twice a week now, so I'm sure that helps.

With his family, he's a big teddy bear. A fluffy one, too (just got a bath tonight).