Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-04-2006, 10:54 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Lightbulb Chow Chows

Ok, someone help me get over my fear of chows!!!

There are two chows that go to the dog park regularly and I avoid them at all costs and I take Buddy with me.

I've had bad experience with chows and no, I don't want to talk about them, but would love to hear suggestions from experienced Chow owners/handlers on how to get over my fear of them.

Thanks.

Old 08-04-2006, 11:54 PM
ME+DOGS=CRAZY

maybe you should just go up and pet one? will that help? or just freak you out more..lol
where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace."
~Milan Kundera
Old 08-04-2006, 11:54 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

might freak me out more, lol... I dunno?
Old 08-05-2006, 12:13 AM
Happy Meal. Yum.

I don't know about suggestions sorry

I have met a few chow chows at the shelter that where very nice! They never seem very people oriented, but they enjoyed contact. They where a bit aloof I guess.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:16 AM
Top Dog

I'm sorry, but I agree with Buddy . I've only known 3 in 73 years ..... all bad experiences and I love ALL dogs and don't show fear .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-05-2006, 12:18 AM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd
I'm sorry, but I agree with Buddy . I've only known 3 in 73 years ..... all bad experiences and I love ALL dogs and don't show fear .
I think it's another case of a good breed in bad hands. They are naturally allof....they are gaurd dogs! That's what they are meant to be (at least now....not originally, but now that's what they are used for most comonly) So of course they aren't going to be SUPER friendly like a lab. And in the wrong hands if not socialized and taught well may be too aggressive. There are good and bad in all breeds.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:23 AM
rottiegirl

I have met nice and mean chows. Just like any breed.. there are nice ones and then there are aggressive ones.

When I was 10 I had a neighbor that lived down the street who had 2 aggressive chows. A male and a female (breeding pair). Well, one day the male got loose and the owner was attacked from trying to catch him, so he had to eventually take steak peices and make a trail leading back into the yard. It worked but took several hours.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:34 AM
Rebel With Cause

I think that they are beautiful dogs but can't help you either because I am afraid of them bad. My daughter was attacked by one and me too for trying to get it off her . She still has the scars. We have a black one down the road a bit and it gets loose from time to time and everyone scatters. I don't know why they still have it because it has bitten several people. I am not going to chance it. Sorry I can't help you just know you are not alone I also am extremely frightened of German Shepards will never go up and pet one.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:35 AM
LabBreeder

I've met an agressive one when I was around 10...he bit me on the hand and I almost had to get stiches (thank God my mom decided against it!).

I've met one nice one, that barks alot when she's tied outside, but is otherwise nice. She's old, mostly deaf and tends to wander off if not tied or watched carefully.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:36 AM
Happy Meal. Yum.

I met one at Lucas' new vets. It was either dark brown or black, but it was really beautiful!!!! It had a very nice coat and was very well behaved and friendly!!