Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 08-04-2006, 09:03 PM
and Spy.

Default Mouse Companian

So I know male mice cannot live together withought fighting. I have a young male, who I think gets lonely . I still take him out quite a bit; normally every other day at least, though I feel bad for him. I heard that male rabbits (bucks) cannot be kept together, and Guinea pigs make great companians for them. Is there anything I can get to keep Sebastian (mouse) company that is relatively inexpensive, and small?

~Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:13 PM
Scum scum scum scum..SCUM

Male mice can be kept together.. it may take time and sometimes they will never get along but mice are very social creatures and thrive on company..
I would never suggest keeping any other kind of pet with the mouse unsupervised ever..
And male rabbits can certainly be kept together.. I have 2 neutered boys and they cuddle all the time!
Here's a link you might want to check out..
http://www.rmca.org/Resources/mousefaq.htm
Theres a section that tell you the best way to into a mouse to another mouse
Hope this helps

Thanks BP!! I LOVE it!! I'VE BEEN FROSTED! I have been befriended by Buddy'sParents! YAY!

Breathless, we flung us on a windy hill,
Laughed in the sun, and kissed the lovely grass.
~Rupert Brooke

Nature hates calculators.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

To me a lush carpet of pine needles or spongy grass is more welcome than the most luxurious Persian rug.
~Helen Keller

TBPC "Smokin"
Old 08-04-2006, 11:04 PM
Big Dog

Male mice shouldn't be kept together, they are much happier on their own and are extremely territorial, like syrian hamsters.

male rabbits can be kept together providing they are neutered and properly bonded (It takes time), and guinea pigs and rabbits make very bad companions for one another. They do not speak the same language, have different nutritional requirements, not to mention the life threatening diseases a rabbit can easily pass onto a guinea pig (Like pasturella), antibiotics are very dangerous for guinea pigs also, so if the guinea pig gets pasturella chance of recovery are slim.

Rabbits are very dangerous to guinea pigs, and it is the exception that they don't harm each other, not the rule.

Cats and dogs are the only house pet that should be allowed to be kept together.

Rabbits, guinea pigs, mice, rats they need to stay with their own species.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:33 AM
and Spy.

The people working at the shelter I volounteer at told me that rabbits and guinea pigs make great companions.
Sorry .

I have been researching a lot, and from the information I have gathered, mice DO prefer to live with each other. People make great companions, but cannot take the place of a companion of the same species.
That is what I have have found from researching.
Out of curiosity Kay, do you keep or have kept mice?

~Tucker

Quote:
Quote:
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:45 AM
Top Dog

I think they can be together too. I have had tons of mice and rats over the years. I keep one cage with boys and one with girls and never once had a problem. Males were always fine together. I also let my ferret play and sleep and hang out with the cats. Ferrets and cats usually get along well together and rabbits and cats. I know people who let their guinea pigs and cats mingle but I could totally see my cats freaking out over a guinea pig. I only ever owned one guinea pig and he was a dirty filthy thing thing that I fould on the side of the road. He was cool though and had that really lond hair that I had to brush.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:07 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tucker&Me~
The people working at the shelter I volounteer at told me that rabbits and guinea pigs make great companions.
Sorry .

I have been researching a lot, and from the information I have gathered, mice DO prefer to live with each other. People make great companions, but cannot take the place of a companion of the same species.
That is what I have have found from researching.
Out of curiosity Kay, do you keep or have kept mice?

~Tucker
oh horrors someone needs to set them straight. My first loppy was one of two babies that were put in with the guinea pigs at the pet store. Only the fur on their faces remained, the rest had been ripped out and they had bite marks all over their bodies. The little bunnies had put their faces together i imagine to protect the only way they could. You can tell em that for me tooooooooo. the other baby died

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 08-07-2006, 03:08 AM
Big Dog

Tucker&Me no need to be sorry, many people don't know the risks.

Shelters generally don't have much knowledge when it comes to small animals, unless it is a shelter/rescue specific to small animals.

Male mice are a huge risk to keep together, it is one's own choice to make that risk however they are generally happier on their own, from what I've been told by other people who have alot of experience in the matter, I have never owned a male mouse, only female. (Although I've learned if the male mice are together before 5-6 weeks old, they *can* be fine together for life)

Anotehr thing, cats are predators, rabbits are prey. Unless the cat has proven for a good long time not to care about the rabbit, they shouldn't be together, I know a cat who, while only playing, pounced on the rabbit, bit it once, the rabbit was put into shock, rushed into emergency, died the next day (Yes from one bite to the back of the neck, more than likely died from the shock though)
Old 08-07-2006, 09:30 PM
and Spy.

My mouse is almost 6 weeks, and I would like to try him with a companion. He is in a very roomy 'mansion', so space wouldn't be an issue. I have researched introduction methods. If they really didn't get along, I have 3 other cages .
Thanks for the info Kay .
Ya, the guy who said it deals mainly with dogs, so I can understand that being wrong .

~Tucker

Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-08-2006, 01:26 AM
Top Dog

I think it also depends on the mouse and how you went about getting them together, or any small animal. If you just plop full grown adults together and throw some food and water in and ignore them til tomorrow (possibly in a shelter environment or ignorant people) then there will probably be some issues. Also the number that are living together can make a huge difference. Two male mice being the only small animal in the house and getting a ton of socialization and love from you may be fine but 10 males living in the same cage where you cannot possible give them each the amount of attention could be very different in their behavior towards each other.

I think it all depends on the situation. I don't think anyone can say a definate yes or no on mixing them. Just do it the right way, introduce them slowly like any other animal, monitor them together, socalize them etc... and they should be fine, not always but they should be.

Just be smart about it.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:14 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

From my experience, and with rats and mice that was in the shipments in the thousands, male mice and rats will fight to the death. Please never ever put two adult male mice together in a living situation like that.Maybe not at first but once they develop the need for territory, fights will break out. No amount of socialization will deter the instincts and harmones that drive them to be so darn successful at what they do. That goes for hamsters too. I have had seen many a gimpy and blinded hamster because during shipping and caging afterwards, it happend.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,