Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 03-19-2005, 06:58 PM
Active Pup

Default fluid in chest cavity?

My 7 yr old beagle has been sick for about 2 months now, bad cough, had many many tests done, my vet thought it was his heart, at her suggestion, I took him to the Univ. of Penn for cardiac eval. they said he has pneumonia, after a month of antibiotics, he is still coughing, my vet did another xray of lungs wich are clear but said there is fluid in his chest cavity, has anyone heard of this and what could cause it?
Old 03-19-2005, 07:45 PM
Top Dog

Free fluid in the chest cavity can be caused by trauma to organs or other tissues. If he hasn't had any sort of physical impact that could bruise his insides, you should have a scan for tumors. Did you ask your vet why he didn't drain the fluid?
Old 03-28-2005, 05:14 PM
Active Pup

Default Drain the fluid

My brothers Rott-E just recently went through this. He spent @ 2000 dollars and three different vets to determine the problem. The x-ray didn't show enough so they had a CT or MRI done. Generally its a tumor. All in all, the fluid needs to be drained. Once the fluid was drained his dog stopped coughing and went back to normal as if nothing had ever happened. The coughing could be a sign of fluid in the lungs or its putting presure on the lungs. The cough is the dogs way of getting air. This is according to thier vet in California.