Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 03-19-2005, 05:55 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Is my dog the only one???

Hi

I have a 5 month old cavalier king charles and she HATES it when i try to lay her on her back to rub her belly.

If i pick her up and put her on her back her legs all go stiff and point up and her eyes look like she sow a ghost.

I thought dogs loved getting their belly rubbed???

(can i just ask if its normal for a dog not to eat when anyone is around???, when i leave her food she just leaves it unless i put it in her crate and shut the door, then when i return 2 mins later its gone).
Old 03-19-2005, 05:57 PM
Big Dog

im no expert but with tha research ive done b4 i got my dog those r signs of a sumbissive dog.. i think lol..
Old 03-19-2005, 09:44 PM
Felurian

That sounds like a puppy that doesn't feel secure and relaxed yet. Whatever you do, don't try to roll her over to rub her belly anymore. Try to avoid petting her directly on top of her head, too. Speak very softly to her, talk baby-talk even, and when you pet her, start with just a very gentle touch on the side of her shoulders. Let her lay in your lap, and lots of soft, gentle voices. Give her bites of food out of your hand. Let her learn that you are going to take care of her and love her; that will allow her to learn to trust you.

Are you working on basic things like 'sit' with her? That's a very good way to build her self confidence, as well as playing games with her.

Once she's more relaxed and self-confident you should see a great change in her. She should even start eating her food right away, too.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-19-2005, 10:06 PM
Top Dog

This is part of the puppy submissive test....putting a puppy on their back should have started at 3 to 4 weeks....obviously this wasn't done and the poor baby doesn't understand. I agree with Renee, go slowly. I wish you had read " How to raise a puppy you can live with " It spells out so much ... and though I've mentioned the book many times here, there are no reponses.....it's not only for the breeder but for the new families. These puppies go through phases that need to be accessed at an early age by the breeder. I guess that's why my pups were worked with at least 10 minutes a day socializing alone......add cleaning, lovinging, feeding etc etc with 10 or more pups, you know now that litters are a full time job to do it right!!
Old 03-19-2005, 10:11 PM
Top Dog

Just to add, as I read your original post: you lay your dog on her back to rub her belly? You should be able to just sit next to her and pet her. I guess I'm confused with the you placing her on her back to rub her belly? At 5 months old, she might be scared of you. You need to allow her to feel safe. She's a baby and I've said it before, just like human babies (that still sounds funny when I type it) they will learn the most in the first year.

Last edited by avenlee; 03-19-2005 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:22 PM
Felurian

Grammy, I missed the references to that book somehow. Who's the author?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-20-2005, 01:48 AM
Playful Husky Pup

I agree with everything above. i would'nt put her on her bsck unless she shows you her belly on her own. She may not eat around you because she is afraid of you from you putting her on her back. that is a very dominent move

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 03-20-2005, 06:22 AM
Puppy Dog

She knows how to sit, stay, shake hands, lay down and jump on command (and come also) but i doubt she is scared of me, because in the morning when my girlfriend opens the bed room door she always runs in and starts licking my face and any time i come home she runs and jumps all over me, i can't leave a room without her following me.

So should i put her on her backfor a minute a day???
Old 03-20-2005, 11:06 AM
Top Dog

Renee..."How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live With" is by David Neil and Clarice Rutherford. It's now in it's 3rd edition. It was my "Bible" when I raised puppies. Book starts with how to be a reponsible breeder ( and when NOT to breed)) goes into the breeding and whelping then a week to week of what to expect and what to do at each stage. Then goes on to the new owner and what to do the first year. I bought them by the dozen and made sure the new owners had one even before they took the pup home. I see that Amazon has a good price new and used. You can get a paper back for about $6.00,,manybe less. I don't have the 3rd edition , so even though I don't breed anymore I going to buy one. Look it up and if you agree with me, post it as a suggestion anywhere on this forum !! I followed this book to the letter and ALL my pups were well socialized,practically house broken etc. when they left me....with raves from their owners.. Amen...I miss those days!!!
Old 03-20-2005, 04:52 PM
Big German Shepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
That sounds like a puppy that doesn't feel secure and relaxed yet. Whatever you do, don't try to roll her over to rub her belly anymore. Try to avoid petting her directly on top of her head, too. Speak very softly to her, talk baby-talk even, and when you pet her, start with just a very gentle touch on the side of her shoulders. Let her lay in your lap, and lots of soft, gentle voices. Give her bites of food out of your hand. Let her learn that you are going to take care of her and love her; that will allow her to learn to trust you.

Are you working on basic things like 'sit' with her? That's a very good way to build her self confidence, as well as playing games with her.

Once she's more relaxed and self-confident you should see a great change in her. She should even start eating her food right away, too.
Uh-oh, I started petting Rocky on top of the head like... the hour I got him...