Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 09-13-2006, 12:52 PM
Top Dog

How important are bones to the diet? I know they help clean the teeth but she won't eat them...just eats the meat off them. I was so hoping she would since she likes to chew other hard objects. What can i give her in place of that calcium and nutrients (from the marrow). Cottage cheese?
Old 09-13-2006, 01:02 PM
Big Dog

Bones are a very important part of the raw diet, and not just for teeth cleaning. What cuts of meat are you feeding her, Sush?

I've heard of people supplementing with calcium in the form of crushed egg shells, but I have no personal experience with that. I wouldn't count off the bones just yet. This is all pretty new to your dog.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:19 PM
Top Dog

That's true I'll give her some time and try giving them to her frozen like you suggested in another post (I'm going a little calcium crazy over here...haha) I just get worried that I'm not giving her a balanced diet. So far I've only given chicken thighs but I have some beef w/ bone and chicken breasts with ribs. Also another question. I'm not sure about the amount to give her. I know 2 % of her body weight but I dont know what that looks like. I do better with cup measurements...people keep giving me grams and mg's. She is about 9 lbs.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:58 PM
Big Dog

That's about 3oz a day, Sush (2.88 to be exact). Best thing to do is get a digital scale for food and use it to weigh her meals and organ meats. You can get them pretty cheap.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:19 PM
Puppy Dog

Hello. I am starting my boys up on a Raw diet...but I'm still concerned about the bones. Beef ribs, chicken legs, wings, necks...what happens with the bones? Will they crush them? DO they digest them? Do they just run through the body?

Do they just chew around them and not eat them?

lol HELP! I'm confused.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Old 10-11-2006, 10:43 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Beef ribs, chicken legs, wings, necks...what happens with the bones? Will they crush them? DO they digest them? Do they just run through the body?

Do they just chew around them and not eat them?
They eat them, depending on the size of the bone and the size of the dog. Beef bones are pretty inedible, though. No, they do not run through the body. They are digested.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:10 PM
Water Junkie

GREAT! Just what I was looking for too Thanks for posting!

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 03-01-2007, 07:25 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Thanks for this, Kim! Very informative!
Old 04-12-2007, 10:24 PM
Active Pup

Great post! I have recently switched to raw after about 6 to 8 months of research, but I still find more and more info everywhere. Thanks for all the great info!

Janet & Bentley

www.BentleysBones.com
Old 08-19-2008, 01:47 PM
Active Pup

Thanks for sharing... Good writing