Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 08-08-2014, 12:44 PM
The Littlest Hound

Default Purina?

So, we've fed orijen, merrick GF, and are currently working through a bag of blue that was on sale. My school offers a feeding program, where I could obtain Purina products at a seriously discounted rate... I'm feeding 4 large dogs so I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the Proplan or Beyond formulas? Seriously don't want to do any damage to my dogs so if I have to I'll just stick with what they're on... butttt if it won't do any long-term damage..?

It looks like the Beyond is better than the ProPlan? I'm basing this on the amount of corn I'm seeing in the ProPlan formula (I'd likely be feeding sport?)

Thanks in advance!

(Hills is also an option, but I have no desire to feed Hills. Ever.)

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CH CCH CA 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage OFA Hips: Good

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 08-08-2014, 12:59 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I switched Abrams and Cynder to Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach and love it. Abrams is doing fantastic on it (actual solid, small poops with no awful gas) and Cynder is doing great on it as well.

Honestly, every person I've ever known who fed Pro Plan raved about it. If you don't have any dogs with corn allergies...I honestly don't think it's a bad food. *zips up flame suit*

I may be switching back to 4 Health Salmon and Potato now that Abrams is done growing and doesn't need a puppy/ALS food purely for convenience, but if his poops get worse and his gas comes back, I'm sticking with the Proplan.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:39 PM
Top Dog

A lot of out clients feed it, and their dogs are still alive. When I tried it, it tore up Quids skin to the point where he was making himself bleed and it took months to sort him out, but he's sensitive all over.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:42 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
Honestly, every person I've ever known who fed Pro Plan raved about it. If you don't have any dogs with corn allergies...I honestly don't think it's a bad food. *zips up flame suit*
Seconded. Most people I know who feed it are super happy with it.

And honestly, for the time you're in school... feed whatever they give you free. When I was in school it was Iams and Science Diet and the dogs I had at the time were just as fine eating it as I was eating ramen and mac&cheese for a few years.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:41 PM
Top Dog

When I got hired at purina, I switched all my dogs to the Pro Plan Sport 30/20 blend. Figured I would try it and switch dogs as needed if it didn't work for them. I was feeding raw before and truthfully do not notice any difference in my dogs. They all still have gorgeous costs, tons of muscle and are holding condition perfectly. I also had two dogs that were in poor condition, their coats were thin, full of dandruff and poor physical shape. They have both thrived on pro plan. I am 100% sold that this food works for my six dogs and will keep feeding it.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:19 PM
Top Dog

I like Proplan better than Beyond. I fed Gatsby Beyond a couple times and it was just a disaster.

We have a couple kennels that buy 10+ bags of Proplan Sport at a time. And it's one of the brands I like to switch people to if we don't have their old food. Honestly a LOT of dogs eat it and do very very well.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:08 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
When I got hired at purina, I switched all my dogs to the Pro Plan Sport 30/20 blend. Figured I would try it and switch dogs as needed if it didn't work for them. I was feeding raw before and truthfully do not notice any difference in my dogs. They all still have gorgeous costs, tons of muscle and are holding condition perfectly. I also had two dogs that were in poor condition, their coats were thin, full of dandruff and poor physical shape. They have both thrived on pro plan. I am 100% sold that this food works for my six dogs and will keep feeding it.
Honestly.... I LOVE Pro Plan. LOVE it. It's my go-to kibble and I always keep a few bags in the house. My favorite is the Sport 30/20. The plain ol' "regular" formulas also work great here. The canned Sensitive Skin and Stomach is fantastic as well.

There's got to be a reason why SO many show and performance dogs thrive on Pro Plan.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 08-08-2014, 09:18 PM
Top Dog

I've used ProPlan with no problems. I liked it.
Also, I do love the consistency of Science Diet canned...like the ground mature beef, or chicken. Dogs that get diarrhea on normal canned, are ok with the Science Diet.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:45 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
I've used ProPlan with no problems. I liked it.
Also, I do love the consistency of Science Diet canned...like the ground mature beef, or chicken. Dogs that get diarrhea on normal canned, are ok with the Science Diet.
It's probably because I worked at vet clinics and a veterinary teaching hospital, but I LOVE the smell of Science Diet canned.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 08-08-2014, 09:55 PM
I'm All Ears

Ive used Beyond and regular pro plan off and on and had good results. Or at least the same results. One thing I notice is the dogs really see to like it compared to some brands. They eat it well. Not tried the sport but will probably pick that up for the next bag after everyone is talking about it.

Science diet ID is my go to when we have any kind of tummy issues.