Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-04-2006, 10:38 AM
Top Dog

Don't give up on a Golden or a Lab because they are " ordinary " .... they are popular for a reason. I agree with petfinder.com ...

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-04-2006, 10:45 AM
Top Dog

I don't like the idea of a dog house and fence to leave it outside when you are not home. Dogs can get into a lot of trouble in a situation like that- barking, property destruction, etc. You are better off crate training until the dog is trustworty indoors.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:54 AM
Puppy Dog

Ok, are you getting a dog, or a puppy? If you are getting a dog I suggest you go to the shelter, They have plenty of unique looking dogs there, as they have alot of mixed breeds, that are great for a first time owner. Also if it is a puppy your going for, I strongly suggest you wait til next summer, that way you will be on summer break plenty of time to train a new puppy.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:44 PM
LabBreeder

don't rule out the Lab. They are easy to train, get along well with people and other animals, love water/playing/walks but can veg out in front of the t.v. as well. Since you don't have time to raise a puppy I'd suggest an older, 6 months minimum, dog. Still kind of puppyish, but grown enough to know better (in most cases). I'd also suggest not leaving the dog out in this heat for any long amount of time unless you can provide an unlimited source of water and cool shaded areas.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:59 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL
I don't like the idea of a dog house and fence to leave it outside when you are not home. Dogs can get into a lot of trouble in a situation like that- barking, property destruction, etc. You are better off crate training until the dog is trustworty indoors.
Exactly why I didn't agree with the Collie recommendation. Not a good outdoors alone dog.

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 08-05-2006, 09:27 AM
Active Pup

Thanks for the replies so far guys, you have been very helpfull
We are going to discuss it in the familiy this weekend, and we have taken the lab back into consideration.
But keep the advice coming
Old 08-05-2006, 11:16 AM
Felurian

Shelters and rescues are a wonderful place to start looking for the right family dog!

Another breed you might consider - and you don't see them so much anymore - is the Irish Setter.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-05-2006, 12:30 PM
Int CH - $uperBitch

if you are going to be away for a long time everyday

you might want to consider one of the more independant breeds,
the most independant group of dog is the terrier group, but they aarent all tht big in their apperance but some of them can get pretty big, i know my norder terrier is great with kids and is very independant and ok with being left alone in the day but we dont leave him alone for tht long.

Quote:
Another breed you might consider - and you don't see them so much anymore - is the Irish Setter.
my trianer has irish setter for show, they are gorgeous dogs, very sweet natured.

Old 08-05-2006, 02:38 PM
treehugging clicker freak

I wouldn't really recomend a terrier to a first time dog owner... I agree with Dan on leaving the dogs outside...

I also agree with Renee's suggestion - Irish Setters are awesome dogs, especailly the adult rescues

Cocker's from Good breeders, or rescues, or amazing family dogs. Than can be very very active when they want/need to be (I'm tired from our hike right now!) and yet can be very mellow in the house.

The goldens and labs are popular for a reason... you might want to reconsider that

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 08-05-2006, 04:11 PM
Active Pup

Funny you should mention the Irish setter, as we have been researching on dog breeds ourselves and find the setter very nice. It seems to match our desires quite nicely in terms of behaviour and so on, but i havent found any clear answers as to whether it handles being home alone well. Anyone know?