Im going to buy a dog but need help deciding...

cowgurl6254

Herding dogs rock!!!
Zoom said:
I wish I could meet one of your's or SummerRiot's shelties...every single one that I deal with at work is overly shy, timid, prone to snappiness and just not that much fun to deal with in general.
You have been around poorly bred ones then :rolleyes: Andy, my 6 month old sheltie, is the most friendly dog you will ever meet :p He has never snapped at us and is very confident. When getting one, you just have to be VERY careful about the breeder. Andy's mom is a champion agility and his dad is a conformation champion. I got to know his parents really well before I agreed to purchase him :)

fillyone

But please, call me Barb
springer spaniel said:
some can have a nasty temper :mad: but some are lovely:)
As you say that, remember that is true of ALL dog breeds, including a nasty Springer that lives down the street from me.

So I guess in other words, why did you even feel the need to say it?

I'd say start looking into GSD rescues. From your description, the right GSD does sound like the correct choice for you, and going with one from a rescue will allow you to have a better idea of the temperament and capabilities of the dog. Just bear in mind that many GSDs now do not have much herding drive anymore. I was very fortunate with Bimmer, but he's not full blooded . . . A GSD/Australian Shepherd mix might be perfect for you.

And an Australian Shepherd comes very close to suiting your needs as well.

Members online

No members online now.