Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-01-2006, 01:35 PM
Top Dog

i have narrowed it down a little i picked german shepherd because those are my fav dogs,they are pretty good gaurd dogs most are good with children,the ones i know and heard about otherwise these are suggestions of dogs that i also like

1.German Shepherd
2.Border Collie
3.Australian Shepherd/ACD
4.Sheltie
Old 08-01-2006, 01:40 PM
Int CH - $uperBitch

australian shepherds and australian cattle dogs are different things just so you know lol.

Most dogs can be good with kids if raised with them from a young age

Old 08-01-2006, 01:46 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
i picked german shepherd because those are my fav dogs,they are pretty good gaurd dogs most are good with children
From my experiences with GSD's (which may be very different from other peoples), they either love kids or they don't like them at all, there usually doesn't seem to be any middle ground.

Again, just from what I've experienced, I don't need any:

"OMG! All GSD's LOVE kids you IDIOT!" *stab* *stab* *stab* *dies*

There seem to be a lot of GSD owners on this forum, so they could probably help you more than me.

Siri picture taken by Linds.

Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:46 PM
Ruled by a RED boy!

I have grown up all my life with GSD's and recently fell for the ACD which is a little smaller package but twice the dog LOL! I must say that ALL my GSD's were excellent with children and if anything protected them from harm. Years ago when my mom was growing up they were never without a watchful GSD (my grandfather was a police officer, her dad) and my mom was one of seven children ( all girls) so where the kids were a big male GSD was. My mom grew up with them and then I did as well and we never had any problems The problem is today however with so many of them being BYB through irresponsible breeders health and temperament has deteriorated so as long as you go through a reputable breeder then you can still get an excellent quality dog!
Old 08-01-2006, 07:02 PM
Top Dog

I have always had GSD's, and while mine have always been tolerant of kids, they aren't "in love" with kids. The aussies, mine could care less about kids, again tolerant.

You've narrowed your list to 4 herding dogs who all have differing levels of energy/type /drives and temperaments. Living on a farm, tho manageable, could also prove interesting as all these breeds can be heavy duty herders, it's keeping that prey drive in herding mode vs killing mode that can be done, but not without good training.

Your criteria for a dog is rather high, and rather unrealistic, you seem to be looking for the "perfect" dog, (ain't we all *vbg) which doesn't exist.

I think you mentioned you were an animal behaviorist? If so, you should be very aware of the differences in all these breeds/characteristics. Getting a puppy is going to be a crap shoot, with an older dog you may be better off as you will get what you see. Have you thought of Rescue? There are great GSD Rescue's as well as Aussie Rescue's out there, Border Collie too.
Good luck in your search
diane
Old 08-01-2006, 10:04 PM
Top Dog

iv had one bite my cousin because she doesnt like kids around her
i am an animal behaviorist and i know there are difference between them all but i mostly need a herder,so right now im looking up other statistics that i like in each dog and ill try adopting one of those and if all fails try againwith a different dog.I also know the ACD and the Aussie are different but i am eventually goingto get one of them in my life but only one most likely at a time
Old 08-02-2006, 10:58 AM
Twin 2.0

I personally would look into getting a rescue Aussie, especially for my first one. That way you know ahead of time if the dog has issues with children, or kills chickens, chases the horses, etc. You also have a better idea of what their energy level and temperment will be. I got my Aussie from Aussie Rescue Placement & Helpline (www.aussierescue.org or aussierescue.leepfrog.com)

That being said, Sawyer is the best d*mn dog I have ever owned and I shake my head in wonder every day that someone could dump him and his sister off on the side of the road. You really can benefit from other's mistakes when it comes to dogs.

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!
Old 08-02-2006, 11:15 AM
Herding dogs rock!!!

I think a sheltie would be a great choice. I've had them my whole life, and they are wonderful with kids. They also are amazing agility dogs and love to work. Plus, they have a long coat that is sooooo fun to brush
Old 08-02-2006, 11:29 AM
Puppy Dog

German shepard are great gaurd dogs

Do you want a gaurd dog

some can have a nasty temper but some are lovely
Old 08-02-2006, 11:34 AM
Twin 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgurl6254
I think a sheltie would be a great choice. I've had them my whole life, and they are wonderful with kids. They also are amazing agility dogs and love to work. Plus, they have a long coat that is sooooo fun to brush

I wish I could meet one of your's or SummerRiot's shelties...every single one that I deal with at work is overly shy, timid, prone to snappiness and just not that much fun to deal with in general.

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!