Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-01-2006, 11:25 AM
Top Dog

Question Im going to buy a dog but need help deciding...

I'm so confused I'v been searching the internet for info on different dog breeds but
I cant decide.I have narrowed down the top ten but need help

1.German Shepherd
2.Border Collie
3.Australian Shepherd
4.Great Dane
5.Japanese Chin
6.Miniture Dashound
7.Doberman Pinscher
8.Siberian Huskie
9.Pembroke/Cardigan Welsh Corgi or
10.Rottweiler

please help
Old 08-01-2006, 11:33 AM
Active Pup

My advice?

Get in touch with a rescue and/or your local breed club, both would be more than happy to help you and figure out if the breed is right for you, as well as help locate a dog if it would be a good match. All of those breeds you mentioned are very different and don't fit into every lifestyle and home.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:38 AM
Top Dog

i know
Old 08-01-2006, 11:42 AM
Top Dog

What hours are you home,what type of home do you live in,what do you want in a dog as far as maintenence,what do you want to do with the dog(long walks or agility or jsut lazy around)? And any other thing that can deal with it

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 08-01-2006, 11:42 AM
Ruled by a RED boy!

As Sophie said that not every breed you mentioned can fit into your life style you really need to think what you want. GSD's, BC's, and Aussie sheps are all working breeds and need lots of physical and mental stimulation. Excercise, excercise, excercise. Believe me I know, I own an ACD who gets about 5 miles worth of excercise a day as well as doing protection training work. I knew what I wanted and knew what I was getting into with an ACD because I educated myself for a year before I found a responsible breeder. I also have a GSD mix who is now 11 years old and lives with my parents who was very demanding for excercise when he was younger and drivey as ever. You can find lots of purebreds in shelters that are in need of homes. There are lots of GSD's, aussie, rotty, and BC crosses in shelters as well so search the shelters before you go out and buy one Good luck!
Old 08-01-2006, 12:01 PM
Top Dog

Agree.... you really have to narrow your list down ..... try to adopt !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-01-2006, 12:04 PM
Top Dog

i want a dog who a can job with,who will help outside if needed,cause i live on a farm with a big yard,i have sheep,cows, and a couple horses,i want to train the to be able to catch discs,frisbees,whatever you call them.I a a dog behaviorist,i have worked with vets,i have been in college for vet training as well and when i was younger i had a japanese chin and i was in love with brushing him,i would brush untill i couldnt get any fur out of him and still brush for around 5 min. just incase.I also want a family dog good for my neices and nephew when they come over and who is likely to listen to me even when distracted by dog,cats,small non-canine animals,etc and one that will tolerate being in cage when smaller kids that dont like dogs come cause one of my neices doesnt like dogs,i work only for around 4-6 hours depending on the day.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:07 PM
Top Dog

I would go for an ACD or BC. But they both need LOTS of exercise.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:09 PM
Int CH - $uperBitch

i'd go with one of the herding breeds:

Australian cattle dog
Border Collie
Australian Shepherd

have you ever considered a sheltie?

Old 08-01-2006, 01:29 PM
Ruled by a RED boy!

Cattle dogs aren't all that great with kids, especially high active kids. They will herd and nip children if not taught otherwise. Afterall, it is in them to do so. You can also run into herding problems with BC's and Aussie sheps but they are alot nicer of a breed "temperament wise" for children. I have an almost 5 year old daughter who was taught to respect dogs since she was a baby and she is very low key around my ACD. He loves her but I am always on guard when they interact together. Even in some of my ACD books it states that it is an on-going argument if they are really that good with children. They are also a breed that is naturally suspicious of strangers and make excellent watch/guard dogs which isn't bad if that is what you are looking for. I'm an avid hiker and being a female I like the protection when I walk alone in the woods. All in all I am a big believer in "it's all how they are raised" and if you are prepared to train and socialize, then a herding breed maybe right for you just do your research first I love my ACD and will never be without one but they are not for everybody