Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-19-2005, 07:57 AM
Puppy Dog

Hi again, I have just been looking on dogbreedinfo.com and found out some information about dogs. The best kind for me and my mom and house. Would be the English Toy Spaniel or any other spaniel type. What do you think?
Old 03-19-2005, 08:26 AM
Felurian

Hi, Shazzy - A Jack Russell needs a lot more than a couple of long walks. They have more energy than most other dogs - on the same level as a Border Collie.

I really think you'll find the right dog, especially since your Mom isn't terribly enthusiastic, if you'll go to the animal shelter and choose a dog that's not a young puppy - maybe one that's two or three years old. Your Mom's probably not up for all the work that goes with a puppy. Even if you're home on summer vacation and can do most of it, puppies require a lot of effort from everyone in the home. And if you get the dog at a shelter it will either already be spayed or neutered or they will have the spay/neuter fee in the adoption fee - at least that's how all the shelters I've dealt with have handled things.

With the Spaniels you've got to remember that you're going to be dealing with longish hair, and your Mom might not appreciate that a whole lot, lol!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-19-2005, 08:42 AM
no touchy

Jack Russell Terriers are VERY high-energy. You'll have to clip a leash on while the dog is bouncing off the walls, lol ! You should also remember that terriers are pretty stubborn. When training, a pat as a reward won't be enough--a pat is good, but a juicy bit of hotdog is even better.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:32 AM
Puppy Dog

I saw some short haired spaniels on there, I think ? lol. I think the maximum size for us is probably 20-23 inches. Please list any dogs that meet these requirements. I am in England so I wouldn't really be able to get a Dachsund or Chinahaua?
Old 03-19-2005, 01:14 PM
no touchy

Find a few breeds that you are especially interested in--ones that you can meet the needs of--then research them thoroughly. You have to make sure that you can
1. meet their exercise needs
2. meet their feeding needs
3. meet their grooming needs
and of course you need to be able to have at least two hours a day to spend with the dog, enough money for annual veterinarian checkups and for the occasional "uh oh he's sick!" appointment.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:22 PM
Big German Shepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
Hi, Shazzy - A Jack Russell needs a lot more than a couple of long walks. They have more energy than most other dogs - on the same level as a Border Collie.

I really think you'll find the right dog, especially since your Mom isn't terribly enthusiastic, if you'll go to the animal shelter and choose a dog that's not a young puppy - maybe one that's two or three years old. Your Mom's probably not up for all the work that goes with a puppy. Even if you're home on summer vacation and can do most of it, puppies require a lot of effort from everyone in the home. And if you get the dog at a shelter it will either already be spayed or neutered or they will have the spay/neuter fee in the adoption fee - at least that's how all the shelters I've dealt with have handled things.

With the Spaniels you've got to remember that you're going to be dealing with longish hair, and your Mom might not appreciate that a whole lot, lol!
Puppies are A LOT of work! You must trust Renee on this. Believe me, I just got my German Shepherd puppy and I spend at least 85% of my day trying to train him, taking him outside, play with him, feeding him, and much more. AT LEAST 85%. They are a lot of work, so I think if your mom isn't so enthusiastic about the dog, like Renee said, try getting one that's already house broken and a little older than a puppy.