Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-15-2005, 06:46 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Peeing out of anger/jealousy?

Ok ... another question from me about potty training.

Here is what has been happening. I take Diego out to potty, 30 minutes later I let him back in. I am also potty training my daughter so I make many trips to the bathroom with her. Most of the time when my daughter is trying to go Diego is distracting her so I close the door to the bathroom and leave him in the kitchen and livingroom. I am only in there maybe 3-5 minutes and I come out to find that 8 times out of 10 he is peed on the floor somewhere! It only happens when I am in the bathroom with my daughter. He does fine all day long potty training otherwise. It just happened just now.. and I just let him in from outside.. .. Went to the bathroom to help my daughter potty and came out to find a big puddle on the living room carpet. He seems to be jealous.. He barks at the door when I close it.

He was doing great... no accidents at all for a couple of days .. then WHAM.. now all of a sudden he is having accidents.. again... I know I could stick him in his crate every time I go to the potty with my daughter but that is going to get old quick because that could be up to 10 times a day...LOL

Do you think he is angry with me or jealous? Why do u think he is doing this? Thanks for any advice you can offer me.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:02 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

In the beginning when i took Victor home, my son would play in a usual male way..dominating him..and Victor chose to urinate on his blanket when Aaron wasn't home so i think it was vengence...i had Aaron stop and change his approach..why do some guys think you have to play that way????????Dogs, especially puppies do not "get" that it is a game. I feel for you i doooo! Training two at the same time isn't easy. My mom ran a daycare and there were some children that just couldn't be trusted in the bathroom by themselves so there was a training chair in the main room along with all the other children stuff that filled the house corner to corner. Can you put the dog on a leash and have him sit down while working with your child? You will teach two lessons at the same time! I have toilet trained my share of toddlers too..they can understand more than you think..so if you can explain that the dog needs to be "watched" and that everyone needs to me quiet and calm so he can "learn" and maybe they can help you can kill sometime until first the child has accomplished their part and they can then go out where the puppy can accomplish his. just a thought....
Old 03-15-2005, 07:18 PM
Corgi bum

I agree...it is so hard to potty train puppies!!! My two would pee anytime they stood up, it seemed. It just takes alot of patience and time, unfortunately. My Doxie still has accidents at times, and he's two. It doesn't happen very often anymore though, than goodness. I wish I had some better advice for you.

Hang in there.

Dena

PS...my husband and I are in the process of replacing most of the flooring in our house because of the little angels...LOL
Old 03-15-2005, 07:21 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

maybe your child can hold the leash while you hold the collar. That way they can "teach" too while being very quiet so dog can learn to stay. Then it would be a win win situation.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:25 PM
Playful Husky Pup

lol I agree with smkie. A small personal experience with this would be when me and my sister stilled lived at home and had our apricot toy poodle Ralph. He was my sisters dog but extremly attached to my mum infact I beleive he loved her the most. Anyways one day my mum did the one thing she never did she scolded Ralph for one thing he did i can't remember. He was surely heartbroken and angry and so we went out to the run to work the dogs and came back home we found a arrangement of small dog sized turds on our dining room table including my mums expensive table cloth. Lol my mum chased him with the broom around the house. Lol but that was defently out of spite.

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 03-15-2005, 07:35 PM
Puppy Dog

I know what you mean by your pu stopping the peeing in the house for a few days then wham they start again.

My pup is the same she only ever pees in the room when i go to take a shower or to cook, when i catch her doing it i yell at her and tell her to go to the dorr, then i shut it and leave her their for 2-3 minutes then when i let her back in i ignor her for a while and that seems to work a treat she hasn't peed in the house for around 8 days now.

As for the barking when i use to go to another room and shut the door ( to make a phone call or take a shower) she would stand outside the door and bark, so as soon as she did it i would go back into the room straight away and say NO SHHHH NO BARKING and after 2-3 times she stoppped that.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:21 PM
Felurian

Sounds like you've got a jealous pup. I think Smkie's given you some excellent advice.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-16-2005, 07:43 AM
Puppy Dog

smkie... I will try that. Making Diego sit while Madison is going potty. I feel that Diego is very attached to me. He cries when I leave the house, even if my husband and daughter stay home with him. All day long, he stays right at my feet, following me into every room of the house. So I think when I shut him out of the bathroom while I am taking my daughter to the potty he gets jealous. I think making him sit just might work, I am going to give that a try today.

Actually, it is not that hard to potty train Diego and my daughter at once. I will tell you one thing though it gives me motivation with my daughter in not giving up. We just started potty training my daughter 2 weeks ago and she has yet to actually tell me that she has to go potty. I just take her to the bathroom every hour and a half or so. (Sometimes not willingly. ) My daughter will be 3 in July so I know she is ready for this but just being lazy. She tells me, " mommy I want my diapers back." I knew right then and there that if she could tell me that she is ready for the toilet!

Anyways... I will try that today and see how it goes.. Thanks for all your advice...
Old 03-16-2005, 08:21 AM
Felurian

Hmmmm . . . maybe Diego will be a help potty training your little girl. Stranger things have happened.

My little sister picked up a terrible habit when she was almost three: she started pretending she was smoking. Crayons, sticks, you name it, she'd pick it up and pretend to puff. What finally stopped her is when she wanted to go to nursery school three mornings a week we told her they wouldn't let her go if she smoked. She dropped her 'habit' cold turkey, lol! We also used bribery to get her to stop needing a diaper at night. She wanted a Winnie the Pooh nightgown. Mom told her she could have one after she quit needing diapers at night and she had to be dry for one week. A week later she got her Winnie the Pooh nightgown. Just a couple of anecdotal ideas; kids respond rather well to bribery and other carrots dangled out in front of them, lol.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-19-2005, 02:01 PM
Save a life: Rescue

Our last dog, Bishop, would get mad and do something to a specific persons item. My dad: he'd knock his BBQer over and urinate on it. My mom: He'd dig up her flowers. My brother: Destroy a toy or urinate in his room. My sister: same as brother. Me: same as brother and sister (this was when he was young around a few years old) Hope you find something that helps!
Love and Spoil Your Pet