Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-31-2006, 06:22 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Question Would you rename a dog??

I was just wondering what everyone would do..

Would you rename a dog that you had adopted??

I would if it was a puppy, and the name didnt seem to suit them, but if it was an adult and had that name for a long time I would keep the name??
Old 07-31-2006, 06:25 PM
Top Dog

ditto, i would rename if a puppy and i didnt like it but keep the name if it were an adult dog.

Old 07-31-2006, 06:27 PM
ME+DOGS=CRAZY

I might change the name for an adult if it was one that the rescue gave them, but if it was their name for a long time then i wouldn't..
Old 07-31-2006, 06:30 PM
Top Dog

didi had a weird name we couldn't even much pronounce, let alone spell . so it was time to a name-changing! my sister named her didi after a cartoon that was on cartoon network called dexter's lab. the main character had a sister named dee dee. she had a daugther named fifi so it was kinda fitting to name her didi. i wanted her name to be princess though, but nooo my sister got to name her. now i think the perfect name would be minnie. because she's a little meanie and looks kinda like a mouse, but after one name change, didi is just going to be her forever name

pepe's original name was peppy. but since didi had a 4 letter name, peppy just wasn't going to do it for me. not only do i have a name matching obsession, but they have to have have the same amount of letters too! and plus i love pepe jeans so it was pepe from then on

Old 07-31-2006, 06:37 PM
Walks into Mordor

If I don't like the name, I change it. It doesn't matter if it is an adult or a puppy. Dogs, unlike people, don't have any kind of personal attachment to their names. I think that getting a new name is also a great way for a dog to start a new life.

I never knew Zeus' original name-he was found abandoned next to a highway. The foster home called him "Dudley". Sorry...that doesn't cut it for me.

Voodoo was the same. I never knew his original name. He was responding to his new name by the end of the second day.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:41 PM
Twin 2.0

I had "Sawyer" picked out for him the day I picked him up from the rescue; they had been calling him "Poncho". That just didn't seem to work.

Aubrey had been "Cissy" at the shelter, we changed it to "Guiness" for a couple of weeks before deciding that Aubrey was the best one.

Virgo might be getting a name change, but that all depends on my grandma.

So yeah, I would and have changed names. The only one we didn't change was my old dog Meisha; that was the name her foster mom gave her and we just kept it.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:53 PM
treehugging clicker freak

I kept Missy's name. I wasn't too keen on it at first, but I was so in love with this dog that it didn't matter to me. I love her and her name now
I agree, puppy name changing no problem. An adult dog, I try to keep it the same, especailly if they know it and respond to it well.
I always change the name if its something that may be associated with negativity, however. For example, I fostered a terrier mix who's name was Mange. The original owners didn't know what mange was, they just thought it was a cool name. The dog did know her name, but you know what? They learn their new names quite easily... and if its a much more positive, pleasing name then its better off

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 07-31-2006, 07:23 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Quote:
I always change the name if its something that may be associated with negativity
I would definitly do that also
Old 07-31-2006, 07:27 PM
Athletic Labs. They Exist

If I don't like the name I change it. Pixie was 8 when we got her had her name (Sam same as me) for all those years and picked up Pixie no problem. We changed Tuckers name from Benny and Disneys from Reptar. I like to name my dogs names I like. I don't want my dog to have a name thats dumb.
Sawyer (2 year old, Labrador Retriever)
Morisson (2 year old, Lab/Beagle)
And aunt to-
Grace
aka my brothers/roommates dog.(1 year old, Lab/Shiba Inu)
Old 07-31-2006, 07:33 PM
Are you dead yet?

Dogs understand new names pretty quickly. I'd definitely rename an adopted dog if I didn't like his/her name.