Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-31-2006, 12:22 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Default Trainer

Between my (personal) dogs, and the dogs I've fostered I've attented many training classes - both private and public classes.

I try help friends and strangers with their dogs whenever I possibly can. A couple of weeks ago I helped a parent from my day care with a really cute pit bull puppy, housetraining and a little bit of basic commands. It's deffinatly not the first time something like this has happened
Anyway, last week one of my friends asked me if I would help her with her shelter dog... So I suggested meeting once a week, doing a couple things on that day and she'd work with him all week. She thought it was a great idea - we met last Thursday... no big deal. I took Charlie... he needs work too... Easy training.
Saturday she called me and asked if her sister could come and bring her (really annoying) Min Pin mix. That dog has a lot of issues, I've been trying to help them for months. I accepted quickly, though I know I have a lot of work on my hands now
Today I get a totally random call on my cell phone. I almost didn't answer because I didn't recognize the number. It was some lady who knows my friends sister somehow - I have no idea who she is, she's a complete stranger to me - called and introduced herself and her beagle. Then she asked if I would mind if she broght her dog this coming thursday as well. She offered to pay me

I told her I didn't mind, but I'm a little concerned. I am NOT a professional trainer. I haven't had any training on anything like being a trainer. They think I am more than qualified, working with children and such. I'm not worried about working with the dogs, I actually do have a lot of experiance with dogs (fostering and all) and I'm confident there won't be too many problems handling their problems... ...

Could I get in trouble with this? Liabilities? Under the table pay? I don't know

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 07-31-2006, 12:29 PM

I forgot to add that I'm dog sitting (Waffle) and his owner wants me to work with him to refresh his memory because he hasn't been listening to them very well (he listens to me fine lol)
I was planning to take him and Charlie next week because my friends shelter dog (a shepherd mix I guess) is very good with other dogs. Now I don't think I should... I hope this doesn't turn into a big inconvincence
Old 07-31-2006, 12:30 PM
Evil Kitty taco eater

Hard spot to be in.
I dont know what to say. I would direct them to a pro trainer who is in town.
If they care enough about thier dogs they will be willing to pay a pro trainer JMO

That is if there is a good one around you

Where am I going? And why am I in this hand basket!!!?
Old 07-31-2006, 12:48 PM

Thanks for the quick reply!
I tried that though - with my friend and the 'stranger' (lol)... The 'stranger' claims that she likes my method and how less formal and more real life our little meetings will be.
My friend really knows me and she knows I've worked with tons of shelter dogs...

I'm actually kind of excited to work with the dogs - did I ever mention I love dogs? (lol) I just don't want it to escalate - More people wanting my 'services' maybe on different days or something -

Aren't there requirements or anything on this sort of stuff ?
Old 07-31-2006, 12:59 PM
Houston, Texas

You may want to check out this site on Dog Training Certification.
http://www.ccpdt.org/
Your love of dogs and experience may end up as a new career.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:47 PM

Well... today is Thursday... we all met. And it went surprisingly well
My "students" are singing praises about me - I told them to Shhh! and I keep reminding them that I'm NOT a professional

We worked on "Watch Me" (mostly) and "Sit" -- which only Charlie and Rocky, the beagle, knew consistantly. I also gave a few pointers on loose leash walking and we walked around the park a bit, them asking me questions like about socializing and stuff...

Katie, the Min Pin x, needs a lot of work! She's not socailized at all, it took me 5mins alone to get her to stop barking. She's already making progress though, and she has a lot of potential.

Anyways... had to brag. May post weekly