Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 07-31-2006, 03:32 PM
Quigleyfied

While it is true that dogs don't "need" veggies in their diet (as in no dietary requirement has been demonstrated through research), they don't do any harm and can help with two things:
- adding nutrients
- keeping feeding cost low (for people who are on a budget)

I would also recommend reading a good book or two on raw feeding before getting started.
"Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats" by Kymythy Schultze is a good one, and so are "K9 Kitchen" by Monica Segal and "Work Wonders" by Dr. Tom Lonsdale.

It's certainly not rocket science, but there are a few important things you need to be aware of. Christie Keith has a good article about this on her website.

Diet analysis is one of the things I do and I see a lot of feeding plans that people come up with and believe to be appropriate for their dogs, but they are often deficient in certain nutrients (especially B vitamins) and need to be tweaked to cover everything properly.

One wensite I always recommend is http://nutritiondata.com - you can search either by food or by nutrient and also use it to analyze.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 07-31-2006, 03:35 PM
Island dweller

My dogs are learning to love veggies more and more. They never would eat raw carrots but after feeding them cooked for awhile they'll now happily munch on them raw. They like fruit a lot too.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:37 PM
Big Dog

You can actually download Work Wonders from Lonsdale's website for free:

http://www.rawmeatybones.com/book-ww.html
Old 07-31-2006, 04:43 PM
Top Dog

i feed prey-model also..no veggies, fruits or supplements. I'm so glad to hear that people are interested in switching!!
Old 07-31-2006, 06:56 PM
and Fozzie B!

I think that is definitely a great idea for you, Labbreeder! Especially if you cannot find high quality kibble in your area. :0)

My Border Collie, who is 40 lbs and active, happily gets a little over 1/2 lb of RMB's per day. Fozzie, who is 20 lbs and a puppy, gets roughly the same. They are both really good weight, very active and don't ever act hungry. The recommended feeding for an average BC is more like 1.5 lbs, but amounts totally vary between individuals! Just keep an eye on the weight of your dogs - do they have extra padding, or are looking a little lean? You can easily adjust slightly more or less to their meals to perfect their weight.

My biggest staple RMB's are fowl... chicken, turkey, goose, duck, etc. They're also very cheap! Chicken in bulk (10-20 lbs) is only around $.30-.50/lb where I live. The others are slightly more expensive. The other RMB's they get are either lamb, pork, or rabbit, and they don't get these as often. Our butcher gives us large amounts (10-20 lbs) of lamb & pork RMB's and cuts that are not as popular or that they don't usually sell, for SUPER cheap. I always feed them their muscle meat meals with beef or lamb, because the RMB's of these meats can often be too big to feed as a meal but I still want to add the variety of red meats. They get organs here and there, and beef or chicken offal meals twice per week. They usually get 2-3 pulped veggie meals per week, as well, and they love them. And they get over-ripe fruits almost daily, and they love that as well. I feed kelp, fish oil, and a Solid Gold multi-vitamin as supplements, but not every single day. Balance over time is key, when you're feeding Raw. If you look around at local butchers & even if you know some hunters, you can find really great deals on almost any kind of meat!

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 07-31-2006, 07:07 PM
LabBreeder

What about pork? I haven't seen anything mentioned about that yet. Is pork no good, does it not have the right nutrients, or what? I know mine will eat any kind of meat. I've given them beef, chicken and pork before (as treats) and they love 'em. It's even better if it's frozen.

Btw, I found a place about 98 miles away that sells pre packaged, home made, meat dinners for dogs. They want over $11 for 3 lbs though. It would be cheaper for me to make it myself if it's what I decide to do.

Also, what's the deal with everyone thinking if you feed a dog raw meat or bloody meat that they'll turn "mean" and "have the taste of blood"? I know it's not true, but where do they get it from???
Old 07-31-2006, 07:26 PM
Rusty but Trusty

I know Hannah doesn't do good on pork at all. She becomes very sick and gets diarhea really bad. Some dogs can not handle pork I guess, it's all in the luck of the draw. Try calling around to butchers in your area, I just called to today and to buy the chicken in bulk one is $30 for 40 lbs and the other is only charging 49 cents per pound. The other meats I can find for about 1.39 a pound.

Old 07-31-2006, 08:22 PM
and Fozzie B!

My dogs love pork ribs & shoulder & hocks. Pork ribs are great for teeth, too! I think it has been mentioned in this thread . It's been fine for both of my dogs. There *are* recommendations for deep-freezing Pork before feeding it raw, though.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 07-31-2006, 09:41 PM
Big Dog

I feed pork all the time. My pups love pork shoulders. We get it fresh, it's slaughtered and processed locally. Cheap, red meat. Two thumbs up here.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:35 PM
Rusty but Trusty

I'm not saying pork is bad just I know that my dog can not stomach pork and will get sick. She has a sensitive stomach though.