Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 07-31-2006, 12:48 PM
Big Dog

When I say whole, I mean the entire animal. Bones, meat and all. Sometimes fur-on, if I can find it. Guts in, if I can find it.

Whole chicken: http://www.rawfeddogs.net/RecipeDetail.php?id=2

Quote:
So if I did this I'd be feeding different varieties of meat on bones, letting them eat the bones (that aren't to small?)
You don't have to feed bones everyday. Pork shoulders usually give my dogs a few days of just plain meat and then they get the last bony meal.

You shouldn't have a "too small" bone issue if you don't feed "too small" meals. No wings or necks all by their lonesome. You've got bigger dogs, so you have a lot of options. My 40-50lb pit bulls eat chicken halves (that's their meal for today, actually) rather than chicken quarters. The bigger the meal, the more they have to chew, the more teeth cleaning effects and less risk of gulping. If your dog is a raw food maniac, and most are when they start out, freeze their meal and feed it to them frozen. They'll take a little more time to chew.

Quote:
liver, heart, fish oil, eggs...and a fish once every couple of weeks and maybe some veggies every so often. Is that about right?
I would skip the heart in favor of a more bloody organ like kidney or spleen. They are more organy in the sense of organs, while hearts/gizzards are kind of on the organ meat/muscle meat fence.

You don't have to feed eggs, but it wouldn't hurt. I stopped feeding them awhile ago, mostly because I try to keep it simple. It's one less thing I don't have to buy. They're good, though, esp if you can find organic fertile eggs (I bought mine from a bird lover who raised chickens).
Old 07-31-2006, 01:07 PM
LabBreeder

Wow. So much info. It seems like 1 lb of chicken (or other meat) wouldn't be enough for any dog, especially a large breed...but that's what's suggested on the one site. 13.44 oz meat and 8.96 oz offal/veggie. It doesn't sound like enough, but I guess compared to 4+ cups of kibble it either equals out or is better in general.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:10 PM
Big Dog

My 50lb pit bulls get 1lb of meat a day, sometimes a little bit less. They do just fine

I always find this web site helpful. I calculated my dog's meals and organ meat meals on there.

ETA: I use 2% of their body weight as opposed to 3%. My dogs are active, but still do just fine on 2%
Old 07-31-2006, 01:22 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by weylyn

ETA: I use 2% of their body weight as opposed to 3%. My dogs are active, but still do just fine on 2%
I use about 3% for my GSD and pug, and 2% for our 12 year old. I go more by look/feel of the dogs though, not by exact amounts.

I'm curious, why do you not feed as much bone? Are you basing your calculation on the weight of the bone itself, or the weight of the entire RMB portion?
Old 07-31-2006, 01:30 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
I'm curious, why do you not feed as much bone?
I feed a prey model diet.

"BARF diets advocate feeding 50% bone***8212;this is way too much bone! Wolves: Behavior, Ecology, and Conservation tells us that the bones and skin of an animal compose no more than 25% of the animal's weight (pg126). In the larger herbivores a wolf brings down, not all of the bones are consummable, which means the percentage of bone a wolf actually receives is less than 25%." -Rawfed.com

Quote:
Are you basing your calculation on the weight of the bone itself, or the weight of the entire RMB portion?
I weight the entire animal (or half animal). I rarely weight anything anymore, though. If it looks about right, if it feels about right then I feed it. If the dog is getting too fat, I feed less. If it's getting to skinny, I feed more or add in a little more fats to the diet. I don't weigh bones. I either feed the whole (or half) animal, or feed a RMB wrapped in meat to where you gotta search for the bone. The only thing I'm exact on is organ intake.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:44 PM
Rusty but Trusty

There are a lot of websites! I'm glad this thread was started because I was really thinking about feeding raw to Hannah but I am so nervous that I wouldn't be able to do it right. I know Hannah would love raw so much better and it's better for her too. Is it really not neccasary (sp?) to use vegetables though? I know Hannah HATES veggies!

Old 07-31-2006, 01:56 PM
Big Dog

Julie, if I can do it...anyone can! Believe me! It seems scary at first, but it really isn't that difficult.

Quote:
Is it really not neccasary (sp?) to use vegetables though?
My dogs have never had veggies as a staple in their diet, and they're just fine.

Feeding veggies is a purely personal choice. I opt for "no." It's my opinion that they really do not need veggies in their diet. Plus, it saves me time and money. I don't want to bash anyone that feeds a BARF diet or get into a veggies pro/con argument, but here's a few articles dealing with the subject...

The Differences Between Prey-model and BARF Diets
Dogs are omnivores? article
Old 07-31-2006, 01:57 PM
whatszmatter

I don't feed veggies either, unless of course I don't want to eat all of the ones on my plate. Once in a great while i'll feed some, but I blend them up, but usually, I never do, nor see a need to.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:09 PM
Big Dog

My dogs like veggies as training treats, but they don't do backflips for them.

This is a little OT but...for you raw feeders (or wanna-be raw feeders) who want to ditch the Lysol and bleach:

http://my.execpc.com/~mjstouff/articles/vinegar.html

Lysol made my throat hurt so I had to nix it.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:32 PM
Top Dog

I don't do veggies for our guys either.

Weylyn, I do more of a prey model too, but it's not necessarily whole carcasses as much as a combo of a RMB portion like a chicken quarter, and a muscle meat portion. Like I mentioned above, Gunnar typically will get 1 1/2-2lbs of leg quarters and about a pound of meat. I do the pork shoulders too, using it for muscle meat for a couple days till it gets down to about 2 1/2 lbs then feed that to him as a meal. I suppose if I did the math the bone portion would be in line with what you are doing.