Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 07-31-2006, 11:06 PM
Evil Kitty taco eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie
I think that would be a long list to name all congenital and hereditary conditions. Where would you like me to start?

Your turn?
As I respect your view I disagree with it. Plus you still havent answered the question. What do you expect a breeder to guarantee for the life of a dog???

Also IF there is such a breeder would you please tell us who? I would like to know. I would like to call them and talk with them about this. I am very interested in what exactly this all covers for the Life of a dog. Maybe theres something more I could learn

So your saying a older dog say like 10 comes down with arthritis I should refund or replace a dog?
I am curious as to what exactly you are talking about. Not to list all the diseases and hereditary problems. Give me an example.

Where am I going? And why am I in this hand basket!!!?
Old 07-31-2006, 11:21 PM
Sled Dog Guardian

If I were to have a Siberian litter (everyone here is S/N so this is theoretical) I would guarantee for life against eye abnormalities (PRA, cataracts, glaucoma, corneal dystrophy) and hip dysplasia - all things I would have tested for before breeding. I know things can pop up, and if they did - I'd deal with it. I don't think a carefully screened puppy home is likely to call you up when the dog is 10 and complain that he is having trouble seeing or getting arthritis. I'd also cover a puppy that developed a thyroid problem or epilepsy. JMO.

Member of Dogs Deserve Better & In Defense of Animals & The Humane Society of the United States.
Volunteer for the Sled Dog Action Coalition.
Think the sled dog racing industry is humane? Think again!
Sled Dog Issues - Working Toward a Better Tomorrow.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
Old 07-31-2006, 11:35 PM
LabBreeder

Basically a lifetime guarantee against breed specific hereditary problems that you had already tested for in the parents...that are not normally caused by old age alone.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:11 AM
Active Pup

CT, CMO, von willebrand disease, and cloboid cell leukodystrophy are three examples for my breed.

I doubt arthritis would be covered. I will try to PM you tomorrow Momof7 on a copy of a contract/info.

Snip-it from one, probably reworded, tho:

"To determine if the condition is a hereditary or congenital defect, the dog/puppy must be seen by two vets, both agreed on by both the buyer/breeder. One of the vets either needs to be a faculty member of a university vet teaching hospital, or board certified in the specialty."
Old 08-01-2006, 12:16 AM
Evil Kitty taco eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by summitview
If I were to have a Siberian litter (everyone here is S/N so this is theoretical) I would guarantee for life against eye abnormalities (PRA, cataracts, glaucoma, corneal dystrophy) and hip dysplasia - all things I would have tested for before breeding. I know things can pop up, and if they did - I'd deal with it. I don't think a carefully screened puppy home is likely to call you up when the dog is 10 and complain that he is having trouble seeing or getting arthritis. I'd also cover a puppy that developed a thyroid problem or epilepsy. JMO.
To what age would you guarantee these things?

Quote:
Basically a lifetime guarantee against breed specific hereditary problems that you had already tested for in the parents...that are not normally caused by old age alone.
Are you going to guarantee for life, excluding age related problems these things you listed? Since you are breeding or going to breed I am curious.

I will be honest and say I am not guaranteeing after 26mo of age. But also state that IF I had a pup with a major problem (HD,DJD,ect) after that time I would definatly have no problem taking responsibility.

Where am I going? And why am I in this hand basket!!!?
Old 08-01-2006, 12:32 AM
Top Dog

Again... I would personally doubt any breeder that would make such a statement unless their breed had a tendancy towards problems that could show up beyond the parents testing. Yes... ALL breeders should take pups back if there are problems..... but before what age ??

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-01-2006, 12:59 AM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd
Again... I would personally doubt any breeder that would make such a statement unless their breed had a tendancy towards problems that could show up beyond the parents testing. Yes... ALL breeders should take pups back if there are problems..... but before what age ??
Wow, waayy different views, imm, a breeder, should stand behind their breeding throughout the dog's lifetime. I'm not saying they could (or should) guarantee that the dog will be 100% healthy, but setting an age limit of when to take the puppies back? Maybe it's late and I'm not reading that right (please feel free to yell at me if I did)??

It wasn't hard to find breeders who offer lifetime guarantees, it really wasn't whether you would be amazed, surprised, doubtful; I meet a bunch at dog shows when looking at other breeds and talking with people and their practices/ethics. Perhaps google can also help you out, I did a search out of curiousity and came up with a few kennels.

I feel like I'm repeating myself, 12:55 and my head is spinning.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:57 AM
Top Dog

I think so , Sophie.... Was that post was against me or what ?. I haven't bred in 15 years ,,, and even if I bred today I doubt if a could cover the tons of testing for todays dogs for lifetime guarantee, I only did heart, cerf, HD,plus health backgrounds. I covered all problems that were arising in Goldens during my breeding time. Kudos for breeders who can give a lifetime guarantee !! I'm sure my daughters who lost their dogs to cancer at 12 yrs. would have liked that clause..... they were of my breeding. I loved them as my own. My own have died too at 10 to 17 yrs old. Do I blame my breeding ? No. Kudos for those who will say there will be no illness in their breeds. Even with ALL pre testings.... some do slip through. Yes, these dogs will be taken back or fees refunded. Do you know of any dog at 8 yrs. old who would be given up ???

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-01-2006, 02:38 AM
LabBreeder

Are you going to guarantee for life, excluding age related problems these things you listed? Since you are breeding or going to breed I am curious.

I don't remember listing any problems. I remember making statements and asking which one's should be covered though. That is why I'm trying to find out...if hereditary problems that have been tested for in the parents are covered for life or for a couple of years? I thought 2 years was good since that is when Labs can be tested for hip/elbow/joint problems (right?). If someone did the test and had 2 vet opinions about it being "hereditary" and they'd tested the dog at 2 years of age and I received a copy of the paperwork from the vet I'd offer to take the dog back...or refund the price of the pup (if they keep him/her). Age related problems have nothing to do with breeding and aren't covered. If they they don't want the dog, or can't pay for vet bills, due to age related problems I'd take him/her back. I don't know if this answers your question or not. I'm still hoping to get an "age limit" on the lifetime guarantee or more clarification as to what would be covered in a lifetime guarantee. I think it'd be hip/elbow/joint and eyes with Labs, right? Those are about the only hereditary things I've heard of that are covered by a health guarantee regardless of how long the guarantee is.

I will be honest and say I am not guaranteeing after 26mo of age. But also state that IF I had a pup with a major problem (HD,DJD,ect) after that time I would definatly have no problem taking responsibility.
That's what I thought as well.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:22 AM
Int CH - $uperBitch

Quote:
imm, a breeder, should stand behind their breeding throughout the dog's lifetime
i dont quite get what you mean,
when i breed which i will later on in my life, i would take a dog back, for whatever reason

just a question but if you screened all the homes and made sure they were going to nice families why would they want to get rid of their beloved baby just because it has a health defect?