Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 07-30-2006, 02:57 PM
Int CH - $uperBitch

Default Genetic health guarantee

Ok so i just looking through kennels and i was looking through one trying to find evidence of health testing,
they were a nice looking canadian kennel, and all i could find was

Quote:
We guarantee our puppies to be in good health at the time of sale and provide a two-year temperament and genetic health guarantee.
does this mean tht they are health tested or what?

p.s red i tried to send you a pm about this but it wouldnt let me

Old 07-30-2006, 03:05 PM
LabBreeder

Nope. It doesn't mean they are health tested. If they've had tests (i.e. CERF/OFA) they will tell you and show the results of the testing. A 2 year guarantee is good, but you need to find out what they are guaranteeing.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:13 PM
Sled Dog Guardian

Thumbs down

A two year guarantee is not good. Many genetic diseases don't show up until after two years of age. And no, it doesn't mean they health test. If there is nothing about OFA, CERF or other such breed specific health testing on their site, I doubt they do it. Try national breed club websites, they often have breeder referral.

Member of Dogs Deserve Better & In Defense of Animals & The Humane Society of the United States.
Volunteer for the Sled Dog Action Coalition.
Think the sled dog racing industry is humane? Think again!
Sled Dog Issues - Working Toward a Better Tomorrow.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
Old 07-30-2006, 07:08 PM
Top Dog

Agree.... both lines may have all the testing in the world, but no breeder can guarantee no health problems will arise .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 07-30-2006, 08:21 PM
Shiba Inu Slave

Summit is right on- I would think very carefully about purchasing from any breeder who "boasts" a 2 year genetic health guarantee. Considering that in a lot of breeds we like to test hips AT 2 years of age (when the dog is done fully maturing), this is a poor deal, and a rather sneaky way of *looking* responsible while skirting the issue. I would want to see results from my potential pup's sire and dam, and indeed, the rest of the breeding stock. OFA and CERF at the very least, and then anything breed-specific. (For example, BAER testing in Australian Cattle Dogs or Dals).

Old 07-30-2006, 10:52 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by summitview
A two year guarantee is not good. Many genetic diseases don't show up until after two years of age. And no, it doesn't mean they health test. If there is nothing about OFA, CERF or other such breed specific health testing on their site, I doubt they do it. Try national breed club websites, they often have breeder referral.
Amen!!

I wouldn't accept anything but a lifetime guarantee. A 2 yr is almost always worthless and meaningless, especially for my breed where most health conditions don't arise until adulthood (generally 2-5 yrs).
Old 07-30-2006, 11:55 PM
LabBreeder

Ok, obviously a lifetime guarantee is as good as you can ever get. I was always under the assumption that a 2 year guarantee was good. I've even read on here...somewhere...that 2 years was a good guarantee. Anything less was considered bad. I do see the point though. Lifetime is what you want regardless of what testing the parents have had.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:56 AM
Top Dog

Sorry , but no breeder could give a lifetime guarantee ....

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 07-31-2006, 02:29 AM
LabBreeder

Ok, so if 2 years is bad and a lifetime isn't going to happen...then what is a good health guarantee? Seriously.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:46 AM
Int CH - $uperBitch

5-6 years?