Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Rescue Forum

Old 03-18-2005, 06:43 AM
Active Pup

Default Older Rescues and obedience?

Hello!!

We've been approved for a rescued dobe and I'm wondering if anyone has any insight they can offer about older dogs and obedience training? I'm currently competing Rally with my rescued lab - but he was a puppy when we got him. I would like to get into CKC Trials eventually.

I'm wondering if it's more difficult to start training with older dogs?

Any information or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!
Stef
Old 03-18-2005, 08:13 AM
Felurian

Stef, I've always found the older rescues to be much easier than pups! They just seem to understand and are very eager to please the people who share their hearts and homes.

Puppies are wonderful, but truthfully, if it were just myself to consider, I might never have another puppy - just rescue adult dogs.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-18-2005, 09:06 AM
Active Pup

Renee,

Thanks so much!! We won't be getting a puppy. (That was enough fun the first time around! *smile*) The youngest they have is 10 months. They have a couple 4-5 year olds that sound really good - I was just worried that it may be tough to train them.

Thanks for replying!
Old 03-18-2005, 07:42 PM
Top Dog

At the obed. school we go to over the years I have seen many older rescues come in who had absolutely no training. The majority of them have done wonderful. It is as Renee says, they just seem to want to please sooooo much. I have noticed tho with a few of them that after doing great for the first 3-4 mos. they seem to realize that they are really in their "forever" home and they may start to "test the waters" but generally go back to being super once they realize they aren't going to get away with it.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:56 PM
Top Dog

I only ever rescue dogs, and they're frequently 5 years or older. I actually find rescues to be easier to train, because they don't take your affection for granted. Rescued dogs have been places where happy-home dogs never go, and it seems to grant them a wisdom they wouldn't otherwise have.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:05 AM
aka RedHotBabe

As someone who owns a rescued Doberman, I will say he is a piece of work. Generally Dobes are very willing to please their owners, but they can be stubborn, and he is just that. I'm not sure I've heard of anyone ever having luck stopping a Dobe from pulling on a walk without using the heal command. They just have places to go and people to, err... scare off! My crazy boy actually felt the need to try and attack a car last week. Aaahh, RMS, if only I had gotten his brain in the mail as promised.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:40 PM
Felurian

Lol, RedHot - we usually get the dog we need to teach us something.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-20-2005, 02:40 PM
no touchy

Two of my dogs were rescued at two years of age (the other was rescued as a puppy). They were very easy to train. They just want to please me so much!! Of course, this probably does have something to do with their breeds, too. One is a Border Collie mix and the other is a Lab--two very much "family" dogs.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:57 PM
aka RedHotBabe

LOL Renee! I think the only thing Duke is trying to teach me is that obedience has no place in a dog's life. That and he should be the official test-taster for all meals, snacks, and anything else remotely related to food.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:33 PM
Felurian

It sounds like Duke might be related to Shiva - she's my Zen puppy. She teaches me to focus on the moment; helps me with Zen.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian