Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-17-2005, 11:38 PM
Island dweller

LOL pooting

Could be the food. What are you feeding?
Old 03-17-2005, 11:45 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

gas can be as dangerous for a puppy who has gotten into something he shouldn't have as for any other animal....make very very sure that he did not get to any sponges, or foam type product..watch his stools very carefully for the next day or so. I would keep a good eye on him for the next 24 for sure. Too much food and not enough water with the meal...then too much water later can kill a puppy. That is why you always want to make sure they have both at feeding time. They will eat more food trying to ease the thirst..then when the water does come that food swells. Let us ..me know that all is well tomorrow. I am a worry wort.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:19 AM
Dogs rule humans drool

have u wormed yr puppy,

plus wen r u walking him, when a dog had breakfast u should wait about 1 hour till u walk him/her otherwise they are prone to a twisted gut. Come in certain breeds like boxer and big chested breeds but can happen to others

Visit my website on www.freewebs.com/animalllover
Old 03-18-2005, 07:39 AM
Felurian

Bloat can be very serious. What kind of puppy do you have, Peach? And what kind of food are you feeding? There are some good articles on bloat here: http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles.htm, and there is a lot of information out there if you'll do a search using the words "canine" and "bloat"

It's something you need to be aware of - and it's not just something that happens in deep chested dogs anymore, possibly because of factors like poor breeding and the awful dog foods being manufactured.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-18-2005, 10:05 AM

when I see a puppy with a bloated belly, I also think of worms as a possibility. Don't rely on OTC wormers....the stuff from the vet is the best. If it's been awhile since the vet checked a stool sample, I'd consider doing that. Also, you don't always see them in their stools, yet they are there. Course, could just be that wonderful baby fat of roly poly puppies.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:28 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Just keep an eye on things..i know stories that nobody wants to know here..they are terribly sad. We sold approximately 3 litters a year. It was my job to take care of the female from the beginning and to handle the sale of the puppies. I would tell people every single time..that their puppy was a toddler and would chew on anything and everything..that it is important to "proof" your home before the puppy had free roaming rites...not everyone listened. So when i hear of bloated puppies i tend to keep a good eye on them. A little distention could be normal, could also be a belly full of round worms..those that work at shelters could probably attest to this..it is incredible how many worms can come out of such tiny puppies.. Don't want to sound like a paranoid.because i am not..that is not the point. It is very important tho if feeding dry food to keep lots of fresh water..and keep the house toddler proof. i try to tell people that especially when their puppy is very young..it should always be in the same room as them, unless they have a "safe" room. Best for toilet training..too. what always amazed me were the people that didn't listen thought they could bring back their dead puppy and exchange it for a live one..made me want to snatch the hair from their heads. They never got another one out of me.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:01 PM
Big Mutts

Renee75Oil, my dog Carey has the gas discussed, Puppy go luckii's puppy has the bloat. Sorry for confusion. Sage Carey is on Purina Dog Chow, but she's been on it her whole life (except when puppy) and the gas has just started being a problem. I mean she's always had some, who's dog doesn't? But this is more than usual in probably the last couple of months. Could it be that she's a little heavy?
Old 03-18-2005, 01:09 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

If mary get's her head in the food bin and founders...it is all i can do to stay in the same house with her gack gack! ARe you feeding once a day large meal, or twice or more little meals?
Old 03-18-2005, 01:10 PM
Big Mutts

2 cups twice a day
Old 03-18-2005, 03:40 PM
Big Dog

okay now im a lil worried.. i looked at his stooles and there were like lines in it.. but ive never rly inspected his poop b4.. and today he pooped alot more then avg. like alot alot more.. does that happen when dogs have worms?? what do they look like??

and for tha questions chase is a 4 month old min pin.. and i feed him purina 3 times a day..