Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Buried Bones

Old 03-24-2007, 10:34 PM
Twin 2.0

Default The Official Chazhound Recipe Thread

It can either be quick, easy and cheap or something you take an entire day preparing to impress the inlaws, but put your recipies here! I know there are a lot of Chazzers, myself soon to be included, that are living off of a very tight food budget. That shouldn't mean we're limited to just PB&J and Ramen though. Post your recipies here! If you really want to get technical with it, title them things like "Easy Budget" "Moderate" "Difficult", etc.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:36 PM
Harumph™©®

Oooooooo this is a thread I am gonna like.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:49 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

I demand that Gempress put her rice pilaf recipe here.. it's **** good!

Old 03-24-2007, 10:59 PM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

Beef Jerky recipe!

~4 lbs meat (I used brisket)
4 tbs soy sauce
4 tbs Worcestershire sauce
4 tbs teriyaki sauce (if you use a marinade, you can probably skip the soy sauce part too since a lot of marinades contain soy sauce already)
1/2 tsp liquid smoke (do not, do NOT add too much or you'll be pretty much eating smoke. This stuff is strong)
1 tbs corriander
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tbs ketchup

Cut into 1/4" strips, remove as much fat as possible. Put it in the oven at 170 degrees for about 7-9 hours. I left mine for about 10 and it was really dry. Still tasted good, just wasn't as chewy as I would've liked.

By the way you misspelled recipe.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown

Last edited by GlassOnion; 03-24-2007 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:39 PM
Walks into Mordor

Oooh! I'm gonna like this thread! I'm pretty busy writing some stories right now, but after I'm done, I think I'm gonna start typing.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:33 AM
<------

The Add On Recipe

Well, I figured this one out when the same old stuff every day was getting blah, so i decided to mix things up a bit, and it is by far the cheapest and easiest recipe.

All you do is take something simple and pre-existing, for example Kraft Dinner and add in some of your favorite fixins.

One of my particular favorites is KD mixed with some different noodles (I prefer penne), mushrooms (canned or fresh) and melt in a slice or 2 of cheese (I like a good cheddar or mozza) for a slightly different cheesy flavour.

Its real easy and can completely change a flavour, sometimes you find a real good one sometimes you find a real bad one, but hey beats the same old junk day in and day out.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:46 PM
Island dweller

I'm wanting to get more leafy green recipes. I need more greens in my diet! Particularly swiss chard and spinach which are our main leaves (aside from lettuce).
Old 03-26-2007, 03:53 PM
Angel Chicken

Default Honey Baked Chicken

• 1 (2 to 3 pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
  • 4 tablespoons margarine, melted

Directions
  • Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 Degrees C)
  • Rub chicken pieces with garlic powder, salt and pepper. In a small bowl, beat egg yolk with honey and butter or margarine, then brush this mixture over chicken pieces. Place chicken pieces, skin side down, in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish.
  • Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear, basting with remaining butter or margarine. Just before serving, turn chicken over and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes to cook the skin on the other side.

This is a good one... I am big on chicken and I know a ton of recipes with it!
Old 03-26-2007, 04:34 PM
Harumph™©®

Well then I bet you would love Chicken Vesuvvio. This recipe is great for company because when they come in the door the aroma makes them salivate.

Here goes:

1 cup parsley leaves, fresh
2 teaspoons basil or Italian spice mix
6 decent sized garlic cloves
1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
4 med potatoes, cut into 1 inch pieces
6 pieces chicken, I think dark meat is best for this but not necessary
1 cup whole baby carrots or sliced fresh carrots.
1 cup Sherry, real sherry not the cooking sherry.

Finely chop parsley, oregano and garlic with olive oil. Or you can put them in the food processor.
Add the salt and pepper and saute the potatoes and carrots in half the mixture/med-high heat until lightly browned. Remove and then do the same for the chicken pieces with the rest of the oil mixture. Put everything in a baking dish, pour the wine over and mix and then bake an hour or until potatoes and carrots are soft and the chicken is tender.

You can substitute sweet potatoes for white potatoes and carrots and I think it's even better that way.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:01 PM
Show Dog

Default Really Great and Pretty Inexpensive

About once every two weeks I make up a batch of hummus. It is really easy too.

2 cans of garbanzo beans (chick peas) drained and rinsed
1-2 cloves of garlic (I just put in one but if you like garlic...)
Olive Oil

Rinse the garbano beans, place in a food processor with the garlic, add a quarter cup of olive oil. Process with the food processor until smooth adding olive oil to achieve the consistency that you want.

Once done, spoon it out onto a plate put a couple of nice shallow swirls in it. Drizzle olive oil on it and then sprinkle with paprika.

I also sprinkle with feta cheese or chopped up tomatos or small bite sizes pieces of chicken and then serve with pita or flat bread.

Great source of protein and fiber.

All the best,

Hans