Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-02-2006, 08:39 PM
Top Dog

Basically , each situation is different... from the breed , the number of dogs at home and the people in charge. I never crate trained my own dogs.. though got a litters used to crates in case their new owners went that way ....I only had one couple buy 2 from the same litter and it didn't work out well for them. Maybe they let the pups entertain each other too much.... who knows . I do know I bought litter mates as my 3rd Goldens... They were a handful and it took me much longer to be " boss " than my 1st 2 goldens.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-02-2006, 09:19 PM
Athletic Labs. They Exist

Depends on the dog my Siberian can be trsuted off leash but she has had TONS of training. I hate people think that because its a Siberian it can't be trained to stay. It IS hard and with some dogs it won't work. But it IS possible for SOME dogs.
Sawyer (2 year old, Labrador Retriever)
Morisson (2 year old, Lab/Beagle)
And aunt to-
Grace
aka my brothers/roommates dog.(1 year old, Lab/Shiba Inu)
Old 08-03-2006, 11:27 AM
Sled Dog Guardian

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieSticksandTricks
Depends on the dog my Siberian can be trsuted off leash but she has had TONS of training. I hate people think that because its a Siberian it can't be trained to stay. It IS hard and with some dogs it won't work. But it IS possible for SOME dogs.
I don't think a Siberian can't be trained to stay (I have CD CGC TDI Siberians). I do, however, see the breed for what it is. If given the chance, ~98% of Siberians will bolt and you'll have one heck of a time getting them back.

I did Siberian rescue privately for years and still get calls here and there to take a dog. I will not place a Siberian in a home without a fenced in yard or kennel run, preferably attached to the house. I also will not place a Siberian in a home with cats - period. There are no acceptions to these rules.

Every once in a while you find a Siberian that can be trusted off-lead, yes. But as a general rule of thumb, they can't - and potential owners need to know that. The realities of them getting one of the 2% that will be reliable is slim.

Member of Dogs Deserve Better & In Defense of Animals & The Humane Society of the United States.
Volunteer for the Sled Dog Action Coalition.
Think the sled dog racing industry is humane? Think again!
Sled Dog Issues - Working Toward a Better Tomorrow.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
Old 08-03-2006, 12:43 PM
Athletic Labs. They Exist

Quote:
Originally Posted by summitview
I don't think a Siberian can't be trained to stay (I have CD CGC TDI Siberians). I do, however, see the breed for what it is. If given the chance, ~98% of Siberians will bolt and you'll have one heck of a time getting them back.

I did Siberian rescue privately for years and still get calls here and there to take a dog. I will not place a Siberian in a home without a fenced in yard or kennel run, preferably attached to the house. I also will not place a Siberian in a home with cats - period. There are no acceptions to these rules.

Every once in a while you find a Siberian that can be trusted off-lead, yes. But as a general rule of thumb, they can't - and potential owners need to know that. The realities of them getting one of the 2% that will be reliable is slim.
I know this
Sawyer (2 year old, Labrador Retriever)
Morisson (2 year old, Lab/Beagle)
And aunt to-
Grace
aka my brothers/roommates dog.(1 year old, Lab/Shiba Inu)
Old 08-28-2006, 07:32 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevinski View Post
i'm sorry but how does crate training a dog keep you from having to pay attention to it.

Ratboy can i ask what breed your pups were, wat age and were they from the same litter?
Sorry it took so long to answer. I've seen it so many times, rather than spend time with the dog, or just letting it do whatever it wants to, they put the dog in the crate. It's "easier" that way, it doesn't get into "trouble". I spend a lot of time with mine, even though King is asleep most of the time, and Molly is eating, I'm there when they want to be with me. In King's case, that would be almost 24 hours a day. King's favorite place is under my desk, crammed into a tiny little space. The difference between that and the crate are the crate was about 4 times as big, and he can get out from under the desk whenever he wants to.

the ones I have now are littermates, just mutts, Dobe and Lab on Mom's side, dad was probably a Husky, they will be 8 on December 23. They are the 3rd and 4th dogs I have had with the same birthday! They seem to have a lot of Husky traits, a friend has two and they remind me of King and Molly in the way they inteact with each other. That's King as my Avatar in the corner. Molly looks similar, except she's a faded black (grey) and white, and is noticeably larger than King, like all the females in the litter of 13 suviving pups were.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:47 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by summitview View Post
Buddy you must have been given some poor crate training advice if you believe that. There is absolutely nothing wrong with crate training if done correctly.
That's your opinion, and I have mine. I don't mind one or both of them in bed with me.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:33 AM
Puppy Dog

Huh, I have always heard that not crating your dog leads to behavior problems. That is what Orchid's puppy kindegarten teacher told us.

As to the OP- I have a keeshond. They are northern spitz breeds, and like corgis, one of the easier northern spitz breeds to train.

Orchid is a very nice girl, and I love her alot, but she has also been very difficult at times to train and deal with. She is very smart, but if she doesn't feel like doing something (whether it be to "come here!" or "Drop it" or "Leave it!" she won't do it.

Albeit, Keeshonden don't need to run run run like huskies, I can only imagine what it would be like to have two puppies just like Orchid at the same time.

You could dicipline one, while the other was chewing up your kitchen tile...and yes, they will do that! lol.

As for the fur...yikes! Any double coated breed will cover you when they blow coat (that means they loose all of their undercoat, this happens approx once per year).

Oh, and if you want a dog that will defend your house...most northern breeds have cat like temperments when it comes to that. Just thought you would want to know. Orchid doesn't bark at anyone or anything, and people are over at our house frequently, plus, we live in an apt complex.

Good luck on your search! Maybe you should try a retriever, like a lab, or a flat coated, a golden, or a chessie. They are normally easier to deal with then your stubborn northern breeds.

;-)
Old 08-28-2006, 03:12 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamzKees View Post
Huh, I have always heard that not crating your dog leads to behavior problems. That is what Orchid's puppy kindegarten teacher told us.
That's definetly not true! There are other ways to have puppies other then crating, I think it's just easier to crate.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:42 AM
Top Dog

When exactly did the crate thing take off? I never heard of it until maybe the late 70's, at the earliest. King likes to sleep in tight places sometimes, and generally didn't mind crating too much. Molly is a mess if crated and always has been, she's nervous anyway, and when confined starts chewing on herself, and showing all kinds of anxiety.

I still think the whole crate thing is born out of convenience, when there isn't showing, etc, involved.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:13 AM
Top Dog

Crate training is a good thing IMO. my dogs are crate trained, the crate is not used as a cell to lock the dogs up in when they are being naughty, its there so that any of the dogs that want to have a quiet moment they can, its also there so that they get used to it for travelling I have a van that all my dogs go in, for their safety they are crated, also a dog that is not crate trained may get very stressed should the time comes that it needs to stay overnight at a vets, I will guarantee they will place the dog in a crate if the dog is not used to them, this can hinder the dogs recovery as it will stress them out too much, I would re-think your ideas of crates if used correctly they ARE a safe heaven for some dogs.

Also I stand by what I said earlier about having two pups at the same time, it is far more difficult on the whole, unless the owner is prepared to do all required with them.

Mo