Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-30-2006, 12:17 PM
Top Dog

I would never let a dog off leash regardless of breed.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:17 PM
treehugging clicker freak

^ RR - I think it depends on the individual dog and location

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 07-30-2006, 07:18 PM
Top Dog

Why take the chance. Its not worth it.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:21 PM
Top Dog

Oh, and I got my first Ridgeback and then got another when she was six months old. So they are 6 months apart and both females. Havent had any problems. One is more dominant than the other. Scout is now 1 and Puma is 1 1/2. I think it actually makes it easier. They play with each other all the time. Now, I dont work or anything so I have lots of spare time and they are not kept in a crate for long periods of time. Just make sure you take them for walks seperatly so they both have their own time with mom.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:32 PM
Sled Dog Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy ridgeback
Why take the chance. Its not worth it.
Windy and Archie have reliable off-lead recalls. They can both hike, bike and ATV with me off-lead and I am able to call them off of deer, horses, other ATV, other dogs and people. They stay close to me, and come when I call. In the right environment (talking way off-road and in the woods/fields), I play off lead with them and they're both well behaved. Set a training goal, work your but off and you'll usually get there.

Member of Dogs Deserve Better & In Defense of Animals & The Humane Society of the United States.
Volunteer for the Sled Dog Action Coalition.
Think the sled dog racing industry is humane? Think again!
Sled Dog Issues - Working Toward a Better Tomorrow.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
Old 08-02-2006, 01:10 AM
Top Dog

I have to break in here, since I have raised two pups together twice, and there's a lot of "nonsense" being told about doing this. My cousin read all the negative stuff, but he finally listened to me, and cracked and tried it, and admitted it was the easiest puppy raising he had ever done, by a mile.

The only real negative is expense.

It's MUCH easier than one pup alone! They will keep each other busy, tire each other out, and generally sleep better than a single pup. Molly doesn't sleep much though, but King makes up for it.

The "bonding to each other, and not to you" is also nonsense. The two dogs that were insanely in love with me were both from these pairs of pups. The one I have now, King is asleep at my feet right now, Molly's on the bed in the next room, she's not nearly as close to me as King is. They are close in an odd way, if one shows signs of illness, like throwing up, the other one gets very upset, and worried, but other than that, they are like any two dogs with different personalities, etc.

I have to admit, I disagree with much of what many dog experts say is "fact". I think most of the "crate training" stuff is total BS, a way to keep from having to pay attention to the dog.

I say, GO FOR IT!!
Old 08-02-2006, 06:44 AM
Int CH - $uperBitch

Quote:
I think most of the "crate training" stuff is total BS, a way to keep from having to pay attention to the dog.
i'm sorry but how does crate training a dog keep you from having to pay attention to it.

Ratboy can i ask what breed your pups were, wat age and were they from the same litter?

Old 08-02-2006, 09:14 AM
Sled Dog Guardian

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy
I have to admit, I disagree with much of what many dog experts say is "fact". I think most of the "crate training" stuff is total BS, a way to keep from having to pay attention to the dog.
Buddy you must have been given some poor crate training advice if you believe that. There is absolutely nothing wrong with crate training if done correctly.

Member of Dogs Deserve Better & In Defense of Animals & The Humane Society of the United States.
Volunteer for the Sled Dog Action Coalition.
Think the sled dog racing industry is humane? Think again!
Sled Dog Issues - Working Toward a Better Tomorrow.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
Old 08-02-2006, 12:54 PM
Shiba Inu Slave

Quote:
I think most of the "crate training" stuff is total BS, a way to keep from having to pay attention to the dog.
LOL. I'm not sure who taught you about crate training either- but it must have been poor advice.

No. Crate training when done *correctly* gives the dog a safe and comfortable "cave" a little canine retreat. It's also fantastic if you travel with your dogs as much as I do. I don't need an animal running free in the back of my car. (Which aside from being distracting for the driver is dangerous to both dog AND passengers). Nor do I need a dog that howls, barks, whines, or yips because he doesn't enjoy being crated.

Furthermore, I show my dogs. Considering a good part of my life is spent catering TO my dogs, going to events WITH my dogs, I would *hardly* think the crate is a way to ignore them. If anything, I spend more time with my dogs than the average dog owner. At a dog show a crate is a necessity. It's a place for the dog to relax and nap before his or her ring time. Dog shows are bustling, loud, and can be very stressful. It's nice for the dog to be able to chill out amidst all the noise.

Old 08-02-2006, 01:10 PM
The dog is never wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy
Since this discussion is on huskies, a crate is the best probably for them. Huskies love thier "dens". Cider and Snowy never had a house to themselves before. They were kenneled with another dog, with thier "den" being a 5x5' space of the kennel in a shed. When we brought them home, and they figured out they had a house- were they happy! You can tell. If the weather is bad, Snowy wont leave her house. I have to feed her inside it. If they feel stressed (thunderstorm, tractors going by, the lawn mower) thats the first place they head to. Its thier personal space, and they love that. Its thier place to relax and de-stress. Its where they feel safe.