Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-28-2006, 01:54 PM
Active Pup

Default Siberian Husky - HELP Please

We are looking at buying two Siberia Husky female pups as family pets. We have read that they have a tendencey to run away. As a result, my wife is concerned that we would never be able to keep the dog off a leash other than when roaming in our fenced in yard. Is it really true that, no matter how trained, Huskies should never be off a leash and is their propencity to run (ie. run away) so strong that it should deter someone from getting them? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:57 PM
Collie Crazy

I would never let a husky off leash. Now correct me if im wrong but those dogs love to run and chase, and any little thing can result in disaster. I would never let a sighthound off leash either, the temptations are too great
Old 07-28-2006, 02:00 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Do you mean you considering getting 2 puppies from the same litter?

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:07 PM
Active Pup

Yes-hoping to get two from the same litter.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:19 PM
Top Dog

Well first I would do some research about same sex aggression since you are considering getting two female puppies, added to that, please research how hard it is to raise two puppies at the same time.

I am sure someone with experience with Sibe's can answer your question. I had one as a foster and there was no way he could be off leash. Tried it before and spent the whole night trying to catch him.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:26 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I don't mean to scare you but...

DONT DO IT!!!!!!!

I got my two puppies at the same time and it was a huge mistake.

I will post some links of why as soon as I can remember where they are...

Old 07-28-2006, 02:30 PM
Active Pup

Thanks.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:38 PM
Big Dog

I am not sure how experienced you are with rearing two pups at the same time but for the most part I do not recommend it.

The pups will bond with eachother rather than you.

Can it done? Sure it can be done but I find that few people have the ability, time, or patience to train two pups. Remember while there will be similar puppy stages to work on...(housebreaking, teething, ect) each pup is an individual and will require individualize attention and training geared towards its specific personality.

Puppies are ungodly cute and adorable. They can also be major pains in the butts. Unless you are really ready to deal with this then I highly recommend getting one pup to start.

In regards to letting a Sibe off leash, absolutely not in any circumstances their desire to run is tremendous and they can never be trusted to be safe.

Also how high is your fence?

Sibes are notorious escape artists. They have been known to go under, over, and even thru a fence.

If you get a Sibe please make sure that at the very least you should have a six foot privacy fence and for safety measure you will want to run something underground or at the base of the fence to keep your Husky from escaping by digging

Some owners run hot wire along the perimeter, others use wood or concrete at the base of the fence while others still choose to bury wire fencing underground.

You will have to do constant perimeter checks for holes in your fence or in your yard that a Sibe can escape thru.

Given their predisposition for being escape artists, along with their intense desire to run and their high prey drive I do not recommend leaving this breed unattended..then again I don't recommend any breed being left unattended.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:53 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

OKay, here you go, and I urge you to please read these and listen to what they say. If I could go back I never would have got both of my puppies. It is a constant struggle and pushes me to my breaking point a lot.

Here are some links:

Living with Littermates

Raising Two Puppies

Leerburg (Please read at least up until Adding a Third Dog to the Family, but I also recommend reading the questions lower on the page) FYI, I do not usually agree with Leerburg, but on this issue I tend to.

Please, please, please read all of these articles (If you want more I can gove you more). Spending this little time reading these and thinking this through can save you many headaches and heartaches in the future.

If you have any questions or anything, please feel free to post them here or PM me, I would love to address them. I have done a lot of research on this topic after having made the mistake myself.

Ren

Old 07-28-2006, 02:55 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Another thought:

This would proabably be harder for you than it has for me because of the breed of dog. I have corgis, they're known for being smart and are extremely easy to train, Sibes on the other hand (from what I've heard) are hard to train and very independant.