Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 03-17-2005, 05:41 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Default water

I usually take away my puppies water at like four or five in the afternoon (or else he is peeing every five minutes up until he goes to bed). Is this ok? He isn't dehydrated because he drinks plenty of water throughout the day (3-4 quarts of water). I've heard of people taking the water away at eight or nine but if I wait that long he will most likely have an accident through the night. Do I allow him to keep the water out to teach him to hold it or do I take it away from him to be on the safe side. He is 7 months old if this helps.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:49 PM
Felurian

As he gets older you'll be able to let him have water later at night. When he's grown it shouldn't even be an issue.

When he gets better about holding it (didn't you post and say you were having to work on potty training with him because the breeder didn't?) you can start leaving the water out later and later, maybe in half hour increments.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-17-2005, 05:52 PM
Island dweller

Personally, I feel that if you get up at 6 am he will have been without water for 13+ hours and that's just too long imo. That's most of the 24-hour day!

But I don't know the facts behind it like how long they can safely go so Renee is probably right. I am just a fan of water and make sure all of my pets have it all the time.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:02 PM
Felurian

At 7 months, your dog should be able to hold it for quite awhile, but since the breeder doesn't seem to have helped this puppy develop bladder control, you're having to start from scratch. Once she seems to have the idea that outside is the place to go, start lengthening the time between those outside trips. That will help her develop bladder control and let you leave her with water later at night. Saje is right, that is a long time to go without water, but you're in a situation right now where you're going to have to work your way through.

Something to remember is that long water fast overnight may have something to do with the massive amounts of water she's drinking during the day - and the short period of time she's able to hold it.

Just keep working with her. It will take patience and diligence, but she's a smart girl, I'm sure, and will catch on before long.

Sometimes it doesn't hurt to have a nice nose-to-snout talk either.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-17-2005, 07:23 PM
Active Pup

I have to say, that in my opinion water should never be withheld. The pup is probably drinking far too much during the day because he now knows he is going to be deprived of it. Could you go for 13hours plus without a drink? If you knew that water was going to be withheld at certain times everyday, you would up your intake to maximum, putting pressure on bladder to the point of pain and loss of control. A dog never empties his bladder when he goes, so better little and often, rather than a lot and time limited.

Back to basics, treat as an 8 week old. outside for toilet every half hour or so with a command word, whatever word you feel most comfortable. Gradually lengthen the period in between. He will get the hang of it but you must be patient. I personally have never withheld water and is available to my pups and older dogs 24hours a day.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:49 PM
Top Dog

Kayc is absolutely right. I would never deprive any of my animals of water, even if they peed on my head. I completely agree with Kayc's suggestions. Potty training really is training. And puppies have little bladders; they need to go often. The last time I had a puppy I was up every 45 minutes all the way through every night for 4 weeks. Puppies are like babies. They're hard work, but it's rewarding to do it right!!
Old 03-17-2005, 10:17 PM
Rusty but Trusty

I guess everyone is right. It just worries me that at 7 months I was forced to take the water away that early or else he would have accidents. I will start to leave the water out from now on and see if that helps. He doesn't seem dehydrated though, thats why it didn't really worry me at first. I will leave his water out from now on and see if that helps with his bladder control. Thanks for the help guys it's much appreciated, since as I may have mentioned before, this is my first housebreaking experience.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:38 PM
Top Dog

House breaking is hard. We all have troubles with puddles and little carps on the floor. Hang in there. Remember that young dogs have young digestive systems.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:48 PM
Rusty but Trusty

yeah we are dealing with it as good as can be expected. He's slowly getting better though, I have renewed faith in him from the effort he has been putting in on his end of the housebreaking process. I've been doing my best and I can tell he's been trying to do his best. Only two accidents in the past three days. One was my fault totally I saw him sniff but I was preoccupied and couldn't get to him in time. The other time we had crated him and went to take my stepsons to Chuck E. Cheese and we were gone three hours, much longer than he is used to being inside without a potty break
Old 03-20-2005, 06:10 PM
Big German Shepherd

Yes, house training... it's Oh-so VERY hard and takes MUCH time but... it's worth it when he's house trained. Puppies are great, if you can take the responsibility. But it's a challenge.