Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 07-27-2006, 08:58 PM
Top Dog

Both Radar and Greystone (the cat) were adopted from the organization I work and and were fixed before leaving the property, which is policy. Our Lilly was purchased from a farm at 8 wks and was spayed at 6 mos. At the time, I was too young to really understand what was happening and desperatly wanted a litter of puppies from her. Thank god my mother had better sense.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:56 PM
Top Dog

Caza is a direct import from a kennel in Germany. The family that purchased him did not nueter him and when i got him I choose not to.

Neeko is from a BYB and is intact. I CHOSE not to nueter him as well.

Joe was nuetered before he came to my home, or else he would be intact as well.

And Hondo is staying intact. He was given to me by my aunt, who has Caza's sister (same parents different letter).
Old 07-27-2006, 11:08 PM
Ruled by a RED boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDlover_4ever
Caza is a direct import from a kennel in Germany. The family that purchased him did not nueter him and when i got him I choose not to.

Neeko is from a BYB and is intact. I CHOSE not to nueter him as well.

Joe was nuetered before he came to my home, or else he would be intact as well.

And Hondo is staying intact. He was given to me by my aunt, who has Caza's sister (same parents different letter).
I'm sorry but I can't resist to ask if you are a male yourself and that is why you have 4, well 3 intact ones. LOL! How do they get along? Can't be that peaceful in your house.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:35 AM
Shiba Inu Slave

My breeder has a spay/neuter contract on all pet puppies. In addition, when I bought my show girl it was with the understanding that she would be co-owned by the breeder. All decisions regarding breeding Kimi MUST be discussed at length with her- I cannot simply use any stud I wish (nor would I want to).

I'm quite certain that my breeder maintains co-ownerships on *all* intact bitches she sells (and may do so for intact dogs as well, although I'm not certain). This way she is directly involved in the lives of any puppies her girls produce, whether or not she is caring for the litter herself.

Old 07-28-2006, 12:06 PM
Collie Crazy

My Lizzie did come from a breeder (and she is by far irresponsible) and we have chosen not to spay until 18 moths to give time for her development. If she is bred before her spay (which she wont be ) I can be faced with BIG problems as it is stated that she is not to be bred
Old 07-29-2006, 08:03 AM
Loves off-leash training!

I spent several years as a veterinary technician, and many more years as a trainer - and personally the only reason I'd keep a dog intact is because I want to show in conformation or breed someday.

I saw too many males with prostate problems - this is SO common and SO easy to avoid if you neuter (most neutered males never have prostate problems). I saw several with testicular cancers - very nasty and SO easy to avoid with a simple neuter. Once the cancer is there, there's always a possibility it could spread before it's removed. And I've seen numerous males with behavioral problems directly tied to hormones - problems that could be avoided by a simple neuter.

In the females, mammary tumors are very common in intact bitches. And I not only saw many incidents of pyometra, I had the unfortunate experience of going through it with one of my girls. She was so very sick, even though I recognized the symptoms and had her into the vet fairly early. Even with the antibiotics, it went into a closed pyometra and when we did the spay (which cost 3-4X a normal spay) the uterus was HUGE and full of pus (I assisted in the surgery, saw it as he lifted it out of her). I could have lost her, and it would have been 100% my fault because I should have had her spayed before that. I had decided a good 18 months earlier that I wasn't going to breed her, but she had such nice quiet heat cycles and I never had a problem keeping her confined so I just didn't worry about it.

So my outlook on it is if you don't have a really good reason for keeping your dogs intact, you could very possibly (and maybe even likely) be contributing to a serious illness. The surgeries for spay and neuter are very straight forward and quick, needing a minimal amount of time under anesthetic (much less than they would need if they have to undergo surgery to remove cancerous tumors, have a c-section or a pyometra spay). In six years working for the vet, thousands of spays and neuters, I never saw a dog die from it.

I have one intact female now, and she's 21 months. I'm showing her. She gets her eyes CERF'd next week, will be in for x-rays after her 2nd birthday, and if she doesn't certify in her health clearances I will get her spayed.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Old 07-29-2006, 06:28 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_ACD_for_me
I'm sorry but I can't resist to ask if you are a male yourself and that is why you have 4, well 3 intact ones. LOL! How do they get along? Can't be that peaceful in your house.
Nope I'm a girl, . They dont love each other but I demand them to act a certain way. Yes, Caza and Neeko have gotten into it a couple of times, and because of that I do keep them seperate. It can be stressful at times but I live through it.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:45 PM
Ruled by a RED boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDlover_4ever
Nope I'm a girl, . They dont love each other but I demand them to act a certain way. Yes, Caza and Neeko have gotten into it a couple of times, and because of that I do keep them seperate. It can be stressful at times but I live through it.
Well, I must say I am suprised you are a female LOL ! and feel like that about neutering male dogs. I must say I have only met one other female owner in the past 15 years who wouldn't fix her boy dog. If things are so stressful at times with intact boys then why not fix them? Are they breeding or show quality or are you keeping them intact just because? I know it is your choice but having only all males is usually not that great of a choice to own especially if you are not going to neuter them. That's just asking for trouble. I have one intact male now who I am allowing to fully mature before I neuter him ( maybe 2 years) and thats enough testosterone for me LOL !
Old 07-30-2006, 12:01 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_ACD_for_me
Well, I must say I am suprised you are a female LOL ! and feel like that about neutering male dogs. I must say I have only met one other female owner in the past 15 years who wouldn't fix her boy dog. If things are so stressful at times with intact boys then why not fix them? Are they breeding or show quality or are you keeping them intact just because? I know it is your choice but having only all males is usually not that great of a choice to own especially if you are not going to neuter them. That's just asking for trouble. I have one intact male now who I am allowing to fully mature before I neuter him ( maybe 2 years) and thats enough testosterone for me LOL !

I'm a female and only 17, . Its not as hard as people think. They arent out of control beasts, lol . Caza and Hondo are breeding prospects, and Neeko is just Neeko. I was considering getting him nuetered, not because of the testosterone or behavioral problems (I feel thats taking the easy way out) but for medical reasons. But I'm only considering it. I would NEVER EVER nueter a dog JUST because it limits their behavioral problems.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:30 AM
Int CH - $uperBitch

i neuter all my pets, i would neuter every dog/cat i get unless there was an really good reason not too,

even if i had the top winning sheltie in the country, when she got to old or had enough litters i would have her spayed,

i just think its really irresponsible to keep a male/female intact when their is always the risk of them getting out for whatever reason,

especially if theirs a bitch in heat nearby
i'd rather neuter/spay my pets then risk and accidental litter that would result in the poor dogs in shelters not getting well needed homes.