Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 07-27-2006, 06:57 PM
always raining

Same with Mimi. She hardly touches kibble...mix in one little teensy spoonful of canned and VOILA, she's happy as could be. Don't we all wish they were cheaper.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:58 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonic Angels
I've always heard from my nutritionist friends that canned is better than kibble. Look at the cooking process it requires to turn masses of meat and veggies into these dry little pellets...
there are also quite a few threads in here on this topic already with lots of good advice!
Hmmm..that doesn't make it sound very appetizing! My pooch loves the evo duck on her kibble..tonight..she ate broccoli like it was the best she ever had. She didn't care for carrots. I think broccoli is more nutritious anyway and some may disagree with me but I am a fitness freak and all of us bodybuilders chose broccoli as our fav veggie! So..my dog gets it as well cuz I eat it everyday
Old 07-28-2006, 09:21 AM
Permanent Troll

I just purchased some cans yesterday to mix in with my kibble. 2 cans of Eagle Pack Chicken fomula, 2 cans of Innova Evo, and 2 cans of Natural Balance Liver formula..... this will last me about a month..... as you can see, I change the flavor around quite a bit which has resulted in "iron" stomachs
Old 07-28-2006, 09:41 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbygirl
I think broccoli is more nutritious anyway and some may disagree with me but I am a fitness freak and all of us bodybuilders chose broccoli as our fav veggie! So..my dog gets it as well cuz I eat it everyday
It may be good for you but I don't think giving it to your dog every day is smart. It's nothing but a filler for your dog. Give it some raw meat, they can process that a lot better and it is much better for them than any kind of veggie.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:09 AM
Permanent Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL
It may be good for you but I don't think giving it to your dog every day is smart. It's nothing but a filler for your dog. Give it some raw meat, they can process that a lot better and it is much better for them than any kind of veggie.
Broccoli contains a toxic ingredient called isothiocyanate, which can be fatal in large quantities.... especially if the diet consist more than 10% broccoli. It can also lead to upset stomachs in dogs. It's something you would rather not have then have.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:15 AM
Collie Crazy

Canned is obviously a whole lot better than kibble, but it makes for some seriously nasty smelling poop. Id rather give me dog raw meat than canned food any day.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:21 PM
Top Dog

Canned is actually healthier for your dog. Because it has more moisture it's easier on the kidneys too. If you feed pure kibble, it is best to add some water to it. I wish I could feed 100% canned to my dogs. If I could afford it, I would do it in a second, but I did the math and it would be over $100 per month!
Old 07-28-2006, 02:48 PM
Quigleyfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by pup-man
Broccoli contains a toxic ingredient called isothiocyanate, which can be fatal in large quantities.... especially if the diet consist more than 10% broccoli. It can also lead to upset stomachs in dogs. It's something you would rather not have then have.
Actually the fatality issue was observed in cattle who ate huge amounts of broccoli every single day for a prolonged period of time.

There's no danger in feeding broccoli to a dog in common sense amounts.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 08-03-2006, 04:33 AM
Big Dog

I mix Canned with Stogie's kibble. He enjoy's the mixture WAY MORE than kibble alone. I usually feed kibble only in the morning, then give him a mixture in the evening for dinner. I've tried him on several canned brands, alpo gave him the runs something terrible. Now I've got him on Innova EVO kibble and Innova regular canned, he loves it. Reading this forum is what made me change his food to a premium quality food like Innova. (FYI)

No offense to anyone intended, but I have to say something.
I came here because I wanted (needed) some help with my dog, and I got tired of asking the $6/hr employee's who work at Petsmart for advice. most of whom don't even own pets! (ASK 'EM! YOU'LL SEE)... My experience with online forums has been the people who are regulars on forums, know the subject matter and know it well. In this case PETS. But: For those of us who are not experts in the subject matter (like myself), threads like this one are confusing. Feed canned, its good for them. Don't feed lots of canned, its bad for them. Feed only canned if you can afford it. Feed only kibble its better for them. Mixture is good. Never mix!. Don't change your dogs food, it makes an unhappy dog. Give the dog variety, it makes for a happier dog. Kibble produces less poop. Canned produces less poop. Veggie's are good. Veggie's are POISON! I think you can see what I'm saying here.

I think in the end, do want makes you happy, and makes your dog happy. I guess thats all we can really do?

Want to see a Video of Stogie? Click his picture
Old 08-03-2006, 06:44 AM
Top Dog

It costs me 62.........$116 a month to feed Bailey