Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-27-2006, 10:32 AM
Top Dog

The only time we leave them outside intentionally is when we need to prop the side door open to get something in the house. After the door is closed, they are welcome to come back in the house if they want. My boys LOVE to be outside so if they don't want to come in, they don't have to. There is always fresh water outside for them.
Our dogs are inside at bedtime and when we are not home.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:01 PM
Active Pup

We always let our dogs out by themselves. We have a fully fenced in yard and in the winter they love to just sun themselves on the deck. When its hot out (like now) I keep them in whenever possible.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:04 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

never unattended but i have no fence as well. AT Mom's Vic will play with shaffer the fence being 8 ft high so no worries there! That is just for play time, never for long periods.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 07-27-2006, 01:20 PM
GSDGurl

Mine is always accompanied by me.We stay out sometimes for a hour depending on weather.Never all by themselves though.I always go out too.Than again I smoke outside so...
Old 07-27-2006, 02:42 PM
Mutts to you

My dogs are out (the yard is about 3 acres) while I'm at work because I can't quite trust the boys unsupervised with the indoor cats, and Abbey, who generally ignores the cats completely, will go along with the 'pack' mentality. However, we also have a dog door into the basement, with dog beds all over the place and that's where everyone hangs out when it's hot (if they're not lounging in their baby pool). My neighbor also stops by to check on everyone twice a day.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 07-27-2006, 03:01 PM
The dog is never wrong!

Mine are 100% outside dogs. To put it simply- they hate it inside. They've all live outside for almost thier entire lives, and thats where they're most comfortable. Sure Dakota liked my bed after he got neutered, but once everything wore off (which happened to be at about 4 am), he wanted back out pronto.
We dont have a fenced yard, so everyone is tied out. (And if you think I'm the cruelest person for doing this- just message me. I dont want to start another public attack crusade. You're wrong anyway.)
We tried bringing them inside when its hot, in the basement. They just sit at the door, whining, wanting to go back out.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giny
I don't leave my dogs outside unsupervised, even if our yard is fenced in. I don't only worry about other animals capable of jumping over the fence (most is 6 feet tall but one section is 4 feet) but we have birds of prey that would probably think my 3 pound and 6 pound dog as a tasty treat.
actually that was proven to by a myth. A bird is not capable of picking up more than 3-4 pounds. So you only really need to be worried about your 3 lbs dog . Found here
Snopes- bird picking up dog

Other than one very innacurate report from cnn and a dog that got away no bird is capable or taking away a dog over 4 lbs.

Charlie is 7 1/2 pounds and we are not in a very highly propulated nature area so I am not worried about that.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:05 AM
Snow Girl

My dogs live outside so ya, LOL deffinately

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 07-29-2006, 02:36 AM
Top Dog

We'll leave ours out for short periods, but they are not completely unsupervised. We'll keep an eye on them out the windows. They have never gotten in trouble in our yard though, the worst thing they do is bark at people walking by. Mostly Bruzer and Midnite there, Gunnar usually doesn't get involved in that sort of stuff. He sits on the deck and surveys.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:54 AM
Angel Chicken

Kona goes out by herself, no matter the weather. Never for long, just about 10-15 minutes, unless it is cooler than usual, then she will stay out there as long as she likes.

When she is ready to come in, she scratches the door.

However, when we go somewhere, like the store, or a friends house, ect, she will go in her crate until we are home.