Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 11:48 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzieCollie
lol, im with you on that one, im going to bed soon to catch some ZZ's but its dreadfully hot here and the AC broke

Oh Puerto Rico, I can imagine! What is the temp like? Is it super humid? It was decently nice today, but I consider 80-85 too hot to put up with
Old 07-27-2006, 12:04 AM
Collie Crazy

Right now its rainy and crappy...lol its so humid because ofall the rain but most of the times its nice and hot, but humid at the same time so its not overwhelming.

I lived in Rochester New York for most of my life and the heat was unbearable, it was hot and dry.

If only I could open the windows, but here you'd better lock yourself up after dark or the gigantic cockaroaches will come eat you! Im terrified of them its gross to live in NY all your life and when you see cockaroaches theyre not even as big as your fingernail but come to puerto rico where a full grown roach is this big:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

and they fly!!!!!! eeew im going to stop because im going to have nightmares ugh
Old 07-27-2006, 01:15 AM
and Fozzie B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doberkim
or why at least 50% if not more, of the top dogs in many breeds (including my own) in both agility and obedience - are neutered and spayed?
I totally agree with this. EVERY one of the top Flyball dogs are speutered, as are 90% of the dogs I know in Flyball, Agility & Herding. They definitely do not lack drive!

Similarly, my cousin is a k-9 officer, and all of the dogs he has handled have been speutered and drivey as heck!

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 07-27-2006, 07:02 AM
Ruled by a RED boy!

I aso know someone who has two male ACD's 1 neutered and 1 intact and both are in schutzund. There is no difference between the drive of the both of them. I hate when people say they can't speuter because of lack of drive especially people who do weight pull activities with there pits. We have enough pitbulls in shelters and that are being poorly bred all over the place so I think that leaving them intact just to pull weight is an excuse to breed them if they are a fantastic puller which I guess is okay . I can see if you have a male and wait to neuter till 18 months to 2 years to allow proper growth, but saying that a dog has to be intact to proform a job is just not true IMO and lots of others
Old 07-27-2006, 08:07 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
speutered
ROFL!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:56 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by doberkim
mach, what experience exactly do you have with working dogs, training, and showing a dog to say that their drive diminishes? can you explain that to the multitude of people who show their dogs?

or why at least 50% if not more, of the top dogs in many breeds (including my own) in both agility and obedience - are neutered and spayed?
I haven't a ton of experience, however, I am learning as we speak. Dixie has been training for WP for months now, and the pups are starting. I have attended 2 aadr WP seminars which are taught by professionals, read all their literature and belong to their online group for continuing advice and mentor assistance.
I do know that an APBT that is s/n, shows a great deal of it's lack of drive compared to an unaltered dog in the wp ring.
You show AKC where maybe altering is allowed, the UKC DOES NOT allow altered dogs to show or compete in any sporting event.

Realy, and I dont wanna sound snotty, but lets face it, you need drive to compete in obedience??? Agility??Your agility dog is running through hoops-so to speak.

An apbt in WP depending on its size is pulling weight for a distance on either a sled or wheels in as short of time as possible.....that drive has got to be there for 1500lbs from a dead stop!

Old 07-27-2006, 09:08 AM
Top Dog

And besides, the UKC doesnt allow it unless you just have a house pet...Isn't that what I said isnt that what I said in the beginning??

"Unless you are showing or using for sport, why not??"

I believe that is what I said.

If the UKC doesnt allow an altered dog to be shown or used for sport, then WTF is the argument for??

I simply stated a FACT, so et off the witch hunt and let it be!!!

Old 07-27-2006, 09:15 AM
Sled Dog Guardian

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1girl
the UKC DOES NOT allow altered dogs to show or compete in any sporting event.
Wrong. Go to UKCDogs.com and read the rules of each event for yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1girl
Realy, and I dont wanna sound snotty, but lets face it, you need drive to compete in obedience??? Agility??Your agility dog is running through hoops-so to speak.
Why are you slinging rocks at sports you don't compete in?

And as for the drive to pull diminishing when you spay/neuter, what a load of horse manure. It's an old wive's tale that is not true in sled dogs and I highly doubt it's true in WP with bully breeds.

Member of Dogs Deserve Better & In Defense of Animals & The Humane Society of the United States.
Volunteer for the Sled Dog Action Coalition.
Think the sled dog racing industry is humane? Think again!
Sled Dog Issues - Working Toward a Better Tomorrow.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
Old 07-27-2006, 09:17 AM
Sled Dog Guardian

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_ACD_for_me
I hate when people say they can't speuter because of lack of drive especially people who do weight pull activities with there pits. We have enough pitbulls in shelters and that are being poorly bred all over the place so I think that leaving them intact just to pull weight is an excuse
Ditto.

Member of Dogs Deserve Better & In Defense of Animals & The Humane Society of the United States.
Volunteer for the Sled Dog Action Coalition.
Think the sled dog racing industry is humane? Think again!
Sled Dog Issues - Working Toward a Better Tomorrow.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
Old 07-27-2006, 09:33 AM
Top Dog

Ha! Never mind, clearly this is where the "experienced" verses the ones who just "have heard" clash......

But you all go on with your reasons and justifications.

If I want to fix my dogs and compete in an ADBA showw, then this is allowed, as for the rest, if I were to travel to Kalamazoo and want to compete, I couldn't, and the AADR that comes here for competition does not allow..........I couldnt show an altered dog.

To each his own. But I am sorry, I am stickig to this due to what I have learned and followed, the drive is diminished enough that it effects WP.

So like I said, no matter what reason I give or justification I give, you all are going to bash it anyway, simply because you dont like me. But I dont care, the OP doesnt sound as if she is into any kind of showing or work anyways, and I just answered her simple question.

And I am knocking agility and obedience because I have tried it. I love it dont get me wrong, but it doesnt take half of what is needed for a stronger competition. And you know it doesnt.

Im done, continue to bash if you will. This is why I havent been here in awhile, somepeople spend their days playing internet warrior due to lack of social lives, me, I got dogs to work with , property to buy, and kids to raise, a pool to go swim in, the sun to lay in, and a mall to shop.....you know, better things to do.

So, back to your internet war games, have fun, and remember what you momma told you, if ya aint got anything nice to say...................

Oh yeah, only some of you have enough respect for momma to have actually listened to her!!!Lol.

Closed Thread