Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 09:06 PM
Top Dog

being in the breeding business for many years with Goldens, I never saw a difference with all intact during heats when it was handled properly. In fact the males had to be given permission to mount ! Goldens are woosies .... at least mine were ! None of mine were neutered or spayed except for health reasons. Today it's a different story ....

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 07-26-2006, 09:24 PM
Ruled by a RED boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1girl
Spay/neuter is a good thing, unless of course you have plans for your dog.

Just an ordinary house pet, why not?It would calm them down, and prolong chances of living a full healthy life.

I have not spayed my bitch yet, due to the fact she is training for wp right now(starting) and spaying would reduce her drive greatly. We are battling a heat at the moment, what a mess!!!Lol, but if I were not planning, nor saw any plans in her future, I would spay her.

My males train for WP as well, their harnesses should be arriving this week. So they will not be spayed. My other 3 are altered, as they are older and not worth anything show/performance wise.

As ong as they are a housepet, why not???
It has no affect on them what so ever if they are altered to "proform" it's a bunch of bull and that is usually the way a man would think, not calling you a man of course *wink* LOL ! I have a friend who has an altered male GSD who proforms in Schutzhund/protection work and is one of the TOP dogs in his class. Not having his kahunas has no affect. Some of the top drug dogs around are spayed and neutered shelter dogs and they have high drive .
Old 07-26-2006, 09:38 PM
Collie Crazy

Im still debating the whole spay or not spay thing. I dont want to spay her as a pup, I would like to wait till a first maybe second heat so she has a chance to mature. I'd have to check prices though, i have NO idea how much a spay procedure costs here, or anywhere else, the few dogs ive owned have never been altered.

BUT since Lizzie is my dog and my dog only Im at a loss right now
Old 07-26-2006, 09:38 PM
tessa_s212

I HATE owning intact dogs. HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT.

All my dogs will always be spayed and nuetered.

More people need to spay and nueter. If even responsible owners like me have a hard time preventing an oops litter, I can't expect people that don't show or train their dogs to be able to do that.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:39 PM
tessa_s212

As for the issue on what age, if my information is correct, it is healthier to spay a dog much earlier than say after a few heats.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:45 PM
Top Dog

All I know is unspayed females can develop Pyometra, and are also more likely to get Ovarian and breast cancer. Males are more likely to get prostate and testicular cancer. Spaying and neutering deletes the chances of testicular and ovarian cancer as well as Pyometra and greatly reduces the risk of the other cancers. Altering before the first heat cycle greatly reduces the chances even more. That is why I will always always do it. I also do pediatric spay and neuters. What do I care if my dog is slightly bigger or thinner because of it. I will never show or breed so it makes no difference. I will not own purebreds unless rescued and they come spayed or neutered already from the humane society. Defiantely a big fan of pediatric altering though.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:51 PM
Ruled by a RED boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzieCollie
Im still debating the whole spay or not spay thing. I dont want to spay her as a pup, I would like to wait till a first maybe second heat so she has a chance to mature. I'd have to check prices though, i have NO idea how much a spay procedure costs here, or anywhere else, the few dogs ive owned have never been altered.

Collies aren't a very mucular built dog and where you have a female I would spay her before the first heat which is usually around 8 - 10 months. However, if you do decide to wait then I would only let her have one heat cycle but then a spay will also cost you more money usually because they have been in heat and they aren't a puppy anymore.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:56 PM
Are you dead yet?

Until I get an intact bitch with intentions to breed her, my Border Collie will remain unaltered. I supervise him and train him well enough that he is not unmanageable. I don't worry about "accidents" with him because I dont give them a chance to happen. If there is a bitch in standing heat in the same area as my dog, he goes on leash.

My Papillon is neutered mainly for health reasons. I was told he would be more willing to eat and may put on weight if he was neutered - he did, because he wasn't stressed out when there were females around. ANY female got him worked up, not just ones in season.

I would definitely spay all bitches I do not plan to breed, but I'm hesitant to neuter a male unless there is a very convincing reason to do so. I have no problems with my intact male, I see no reason to neuter him at this point.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:57 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzieCollie

There are plently of low cost clinics all over the place if money is a little tight. I love the low cost clinics, they are great, they take great care of my pets, do not keep them over night which I hate when vets do that, and they give you pain meds if needed or wanted and then you go home. Plus they don't cost you a fortune.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:02 PM
Top Dog

and you cannot enter your dog in UKC sanctioned shows altered, even for WP. The ADBA allows altered performers, but not UKC.

It DOES make a difference in drive in a real working dog.

Closed Thread