Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 04:45 PM
Quigleyfied

Personally I don't think it's necessary 100% of the time, and certainly not everyone who has an unaltered dog and doesn't compete or breed is irresponsible.

It's very much related to cultural background, which varies from country to country.

For instance, I lived in Germany until 1999, where spaying and neutering dogs is not as common a thing as in the U.S., but unlike here, there isn't as huge of an overpopulation problem due to better breeding practices, more intervention from breed clubs, minimal sales of dogs in pet stores, less of a "throwaway minded" society and so on.

My current dog is the first altered one I've ever owned (in 25 years) and I honestly can't say that managing unaltered dogs is as much of a problem as some people make it out to be, but I guess that very much depends on the responsibility of the owner.

Overall I'm very much pro spay/neuter, simply because there are too many uneducated pet owners out there for whom it is better to not have to deal with unaltered dogs, both in regards to behavior and reproduction.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 07-26-2006, 06:12 PM
RedyreRottweilers

For me personally, any dog I am not showing or planning to breed, male or female, will be altered as soon as it is appropriate to do so.

It is possible I would leave a retired male show dog intact if he was sought after for breeding purposes.

My bitches are spayed fairly promptly after their time for being bred is over. I'm not exactly sure of my plans where Penny is concerned. At this time I only plan the one litter from her, however, I might like to continue showing her in Breed if she matures well. Unless we are still burning up the show ring, I would likely spay her around age 5 - 6 years of age, and sooner than that if I decide not to show her in the Breed ring any more.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:34 PM
Ruled by a RED boy!

I think spaying and neutering is important if you plan not to breed your dog and/or show. Why keep them intact just because? Although we know why "most" men don't neuter there males . I also agree on waiting for the dog to fully mature until you chop anything but more so in the male dogs. I have an intact ACD who just turned 1 and he has been wonderful thus far but sometimes by the time a male turns 2 they can become tougher. If I had a female she would have been spayed already but that's just me. I don't care to deal with heat cycles. I personally prefer males over females . I know how some other countries are about spaying and neutering, I live in Massachusetts and we have a shelter who flies out to Puerto Rico to save street dogs because the country is so over-whelmed with them. The shelter has helped bring awareness to spay/neuter and to help control the population. We bring dogs here to find them homes and there are a few Puerto Rico dogs right here in my neighborhood Also, just because your dog isn't around males that can get her pregnant, doesn't mean, like Elegy, said that she is safe from pyometra or mammory cancer. I would get her spayed before anything like that can happen to her
Old 07-26-2006, 06:48 PM
Top Dog

Spay/neuter is a good thing, unless of course you have plans for your dog.

Just an ordinary house pet, why not?It would calm them down, and prolong chances of living a full healthy life.

I have not spayed my bitch yet, due to the fact she is training for wp right now(starting) and spaying would reduce her drive greatly. We are battling a heat at the moment, what a mess!!!Lol, but if I were not planning, nor saw any plans in her future, I would spay her.

My males train for WP as well, their harnesses should be arriving this week. So they will not be spayed. My other 3 are altered, as they are older and not worth anything show/performance wise.

As ong as they are a housepet, why not???

Old 07-26-2006, 06:56 PM
RedyreRottweilers

I'm just curious what being intact has to do with Weight Pulling?
Old 07-26-2006, 07:00 PM
Top Dog

Since you addressed me...

If you spay/neuter your dog, it decreases the drive that the dogs SHOULD have in order to sucessfully perform in WP..

Old 07-26-2006, 07:39 PM
Crazy Dog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1girl
Since you addressed me...

If you spay/neuter your dog, it decreases the drive that the dogs SHOULD have in order to sucessfully perform in WP..

It may be just me, but I never have understood that. I have had intact, and s/n males and females and I can say I have never noticed a change in drive. A lot of it has to do with the owner/trainer, some are just better at bringing out and utilizing that natural drive of a dog.

For instance, my intact bitch did not come with tug drive, but since I wanted her to play and enjoy tugging with me I capitalized on her love of food to really help her bring her drive to tug out. She will not yet tug with me everywhere, but she WILL tug with me vigorously every time I ask. (I dont ask her to do it anywhere I think she will refuse her toy.) She has even started accepting a tug toy as a reward for the clicker, which to me was a sign that is at least as rewardin to her as the treats.

Honestly, I will not work her during a heat cycle, she is not 'in the game' while the hormones are flowing. When I decide if I want to breed her again or not she will be spayed asap, to concentrate more on her performance sports.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:57 PM
Top Dog

I'd just rather not deal with the issues of having unaltered animals, when I don't ever plan on breeding or showing confirmation.

I don't want a female leaving blood trails all over my house (sorry to be so blunt! LOL), nor do I want a male raring to go at every female he sees, especially those in heat. Yes I know with training they're not that bad, but it's something that I shouldn't have to deal with.

I certainly don't think your a bad owner if your pet isn't s/n BUT, I don't see why you wouldn't spay/neuter a pet... I mean it is less hassle...
Old 07-26-2006, 08:33 PM
RedyreRottweilers

FWIW, having owned several animals both intact and altered, I never saw any decrease in drive either.

My 4 YO spayed bitch is one of the driviest busiest toughest dogs I've ever had of either sex, and she was spayed at 15 mos.

My 9YO import has been spayed about 18 months, and I've seen no decrease in her drives/guardiness either.

I was just curious.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:52 PM
Dog Show Addict

Honestly, Crosbie is the ONLY fixed dog we have ever had.

BUT - we have ALWAYS had show dogs.

Conformation and Obedience were our training points for our dogs. Therefore, could not be altered.
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Closed Thread