Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 03-08-2005, 06:39 AM
Puppy Dog

Default Dog rubbing butt on carpet?

My new pup has been rubbing his butt on my carpet. (just started today)

The shelter said they wormed him last month. Is there another reason that he could be doing this? Should I worm him again?
Old 03-08-2005, 08:05 AM
Top Dog

It is most likely his anal glands. Our little yorkie girl did the same thing and we took her to the vet and he squeezed them and liquid came out (really gross)....LOL Anyway, I don't know a whole lot about anal glands but that is definitely what the problem was with her.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:15 AM
Love my pets

I agree with YorkieLover about the anal glands, but I would also take a stool sample to your vet to check for worms again. There are many different types of parasites that can't be seen without a microscope. My pets have had this kind and also the kind of worms that looked like spaghetti when they were young and it took more than one treatment to deworm them. I always take a stool sample a week after any treatments to make sure it's all clear. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:33 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Even tho the shelter wormed him, tapes are not always included in that. Watch for small sections of tapeworms that look like rice where the puppy has slept and around his anus. They tend to collect there and are itchy to a dog. That would be my first guess. Victor my rescue dog was also "wormed" by the vet but he came loaded with tapes.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:34 AM
Puppy Dog

Default Thanks!

he is 14 weeks old now. Could those glands become a problem at this young of and age??? Just wondering.. I will do the stool sample..and call the vet to check... thanks for your advice.. !! Much appreciatied!
Old 03-08-2005, 12:54 PM
Island dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie
Even tho the shelter wormed him, tapes are not always included in that. Watch for small sections of tapeworms that look like rice where the puppy has slept and around his anus. They tend to collect there and are itchy to a dog. That would be my first guess. Victor my rescue dog was also "wormed" by the vet but he came loaded with tapes.
Maverick too
Old 03-08-2005, 04:13 PM
Dog Spoiler

Definitely anal glands. My vet actually taught me how to drain them myself (it became too much of a hassle to take carry to the vet every week). It can be quite uncomfortable for the dog.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:34 PM
Puppy Dog

Default ewww

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredhead (DOG LOVER)
Definitely anal glands. My vet actually taught me how to drain them myself (it became too much of a hassle to take carry to the vet every week). It can be quite uncomfortable for the dog.

I dont know if I can do that... man..

I can change poopy diapers and clean up dog puke but something about sticking my finger up a dogs rear end freaks me out..LOL I have a friend that takes her dog in to the vet to get that done...

Is it all that bad? she says it stinks real bad!
Old 03-09-2005, 12:47 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

it isn't a pretty smell at all..if you have the bucks..pay someone else, but don't ignore it if you don't..there are worse things in the world then sticking a finger where you don't want it to be..where a plastic glove and hold your breath.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:50 PM
Show Dog

yes, you should get that done asap. because my groomer told me that if you don't get it taken care of they could get so full that they could rupture.. and it would cost more than just getting them done..it only takes like a second each gland