Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 03-16-2005, 08:47 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Default Too Confused!

Ok, I am too confused on the puppy food to buy for my puppy. I have him on Iams now, but after reading about the Iams situation I am going to switch him as soon as this bag is done. My vet recommends Science diet and sent me home with not one but two free 5 pound bags (why two I don't know). I thought about maybe switching him to Science diet but then I heard also that wasn't too good for them. The breeder had him on Diamond's large breed puppy formula, which is impossible for me to find in any pet store. Is there any store bought dog food that would be exceptable for my puppy? All of the foods that you are reccomending for dogs I can not find near us. I am SO confused at what would be best for my puppy. I hate constantly switching his food but I don't want to feed any of my animals Iams anymore after what I saw on the website.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:35 PM
Island dweller

Ah, Julie. It is a confusing thing.

I don't think anyone here would recommend Science Diet either. Everything I've read says that vets do not learn a lot about nutrition and are often paid to distribute a certain brand.

The most recommended brand of dog food on this site is Innova's EVO www.naturapet.com. I've heard good things about:
Eagle Pack holistic www.eaglepack.com
http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/

There are more. Look for products that are 'made with human grade meat' and organic ingredients.

Use this comparison tool at Innova's site to learn more about dog food ingredients and compare their brand to others.

Also, you can ask your pet store to bring in a product like Innova. Or give them a list and see what they can do
Old 03-16-2005, 10:14 PM
Top Dog

What ever you decide to feed, don't wait until the bag is empty......start adding what you plan to switch to slowly.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:46 PM
Island dweller

Sorry. Forgot to mention raw! It seems like a lot of work even though I"m thinking about starting it.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:37 AM
Felurian

ROFL! Saje, I can just see Steve's face when you're buying meat for the dogs but not for him . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-17-2005, 10:48 AM
Island dweller

LOL I know! I buy meat for him but not often. LOL I made him REAL shephard's pie last night (and a tofu version for me). Aren't I a good gf?

Seriously, I can't find a good brand here. They hardly ever have the Eagle Pack in stock and all the rest is garbage. Steve saw how much I was paying out here for Eagle Pack and other brands and was extremely annoyed that they would charge that much. They do have to ship it a long way as we live at least a 24 hour drive from any major city and those cities aren't close to wear it's manufactured.

Anyway, we figured since this THE place to hunt/fish and I see sales on meat and fish all the time that might be a better way to go. At least I'll know what's going into it.

Now, for the research...
Old 03-17-2005, 01:06 PM
Felurian

Oh, and Julie, don't be bamboozled by foods that tout "all natural" ingredients. That means absolutely nothing! It can still include ingredients loaded with pesticides, hormones, chemicals, drugs, ad nauseum - just another phrase manufacturers use to fool the consumer.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-17-2005, 01:26 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Well I just went out and bought Mack a 33 lb bag of Eagle Pack Large/giant breed puppy formula. I am going to switch him to that because I can not find any of the other food mentioned to me. As soon as his Iams (eww...yuck...barf) starts running out I am going to switch him to the Eagle Pack brand and keep him on that from now on.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:35 PM
Top Dog

Try buying smaller bags. You shouldn't store the food for longer than 3 months. After that it begins to turn rancid. It also helps if you store it in an airtight container.