Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 07-31-2006, 02:13 PM
Bobsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers
My dogs eat a lot of bones. Chicken bones, pork bones, beef bones, certain turkey bones.

All raw.

Raw bones are good for dogs (in moderation combined with an all around healthy diet, of course).
Really dangerous to give your dog raw bones like that. If you disagree, try sitting down and chewing and swallowing some chicken bones yourself and see what happen.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:34 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Really dangerous to give your dog raw bones like that. If you disagree, try sitting down and chewing and swallowing some chicken bones yourself and see what happen.
We're not dogs

Like Redyre, my dogs also eat a wide variety of raw bones to eat and chew. As long as you take proper precautions, they are not as dangerous as most people believe.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:37 PM
Island dweller

I feed raw bones too but it sort of sounds like bloopy might be feeding weight bearing bones which is dangerous. At least that's the visual I got.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:14 PM
Bobsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by weylyn
We're not dogs

Like Redyre, my dogs also eat a wide variety of raw bones to eat and chew. As long as you take proper precautions, they are not as dangerous as most people believe.

http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/bones.html
Old 07-31-2006, 03:26 PM
Top Dog

bob there are so many benefits to raw bones, its worth it to feed them. Your dog can choke on it's kibble just as easily as a bone. You feed your dog rawhide or any other kind of chewy treat? Even worse. It's not surprising that your source is sponsored by a pet food vendor. If you don't want to feed your dog bones, thats up to you, but many of us have been doing so successfully for a long time. Just so you know, it's the cooked bones that are dangerous. The cooking process changes the bone and allows it to splinter. Raw bones rarely splinter.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:26 PM
Big Dog

Bobsk8, there are risks and rewards in everything in life. Even dog food. I think this applies very well:

"Feeding your dog is about management of risk. No matter which path you decide to take there is always risk. There is always someone who will criticise your decision. However you, and only you can decide what is best for your dogs. Weigh up all the benefits and risks. Do your own analysis. Do your research. Do what will have the greatest overall benefit for your dog. " Jane Anderson

http://www.b-naturals.com/Spr1999.php
Old 07-31-2006, 03:41 PM
Quigleyfied

Julie, it really depends how much of a chewer your dog is.

My Quigley is fairly small (28 pounds) but very determined, he will completely consume things like beef neck bones, lamb shanks and so on. Dogs who eat a raw diet exclusively must ingest enough bone matter to balance the phosphorus content in the meat but at the same time you don't want the dog to eat excessive amounts of bone matter only, since it can lead to constipation.

Bobsk8, I wouldn't put too much stock in information on a website that is affiliated with one of the largest online pet supply businesses. They'd prefer you spend $50 on commercial foods and chewies rather than walking to the grocery store and buying a couple day's worth of food for your dog for under $5.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 07-31-2006, 03:53 PM
Top Dog

Quigley can power thru a beef neckbone? Wow! I can get neckbones here, they are pretty big so I have them saw them into sections that are about a pound each. I'm not sure how much of the bone they actually eat but I always end up picking up some good size pieces. Same for beef ribs, they always seem to leave a good part of them behind, so I let them use them as rec bones. Any pork bones they munch right up though.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:04 PM
Quigleyfied

Dan, not the entire neck bone. I get chuck neck from my supplier, cut in slices that are each just large enough for one meal - but Quigley does eat them completely, most of the time there's nothing left over at all.

When he gets beef ribs, the thickest bone parts tend to hang around for a couple days too, or until they are all dried up and I throw them out.

I've made the same experience with pork bones, they are nice and soft since the pigs don't get to live very long.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 07-31-2006, 04:12 PM
Top Dog

Right, I didn't mean the entire neck. The ones I get are the neck sliced down the center, then I have them cut that into pound sized chunks, but the bones in there are still pretty thick. Maybe I should have them do 1/2" slices or something like that next time and see how that works.